• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TripWire's "next project"

TWI origionally wanted to make a mod about thease resistance groups, and therefor chose the name "Red Orchestra", but somehwere down the line, that idea was scrapped and they decided to do an east front mod instead, but they kept the name

Thx Grobes - I did not know that. It certainly explains the non sequitur of a name.

Upvote 0
Nestor Makhno said:
Thx Grobes - I did not know that. It certainly explains the non sequitur of a name.

Thats what i hear from the real old farts around here who has been following RO since before Beta1 was out, you'd have to find one of said old farts to explain the story in more detail, as personally i didn't start playing untill.. i guess it was Beta2 or 3 back with UT2003.

But apparently thats how the name came to be.

SheepDip said:
Wasn't it going to be singleplayer too? :)

Yeah i belive so, possibly with Co-op for MP, and indeeed, there has been some speculation that TWI's next game will be what that mod set out to do, a WW2 spy/resistance group thing, probably SP, where you play as the real Red Orchestra.
But its all unconfirmed rumours, ofcourse.

Upvote 0

I hope it will be an entire remake of the RO mod labelled as RO2 but with better graphics and other features like bullet penetration, mantling, etc. Maybe TW could even add planes as well.

Yeah, the perfect game would be Red Orchestra, perfected and updated. Not new gameplay: just perfected ballistics and penetration, more realism, les gamey, maybe more animations, but essentially the same.

Upvote 0

I honestly thought this was common knowledge round these parts -checking I see it's on Ro's Wikipedia entry but i'm sure i heard this elsewhere too.
If their follow up was actually based on the Red Orchestra spy/resistance movement I wouldn't be complaining as it goes.

Upvote 0
No, there actually was a real "Red Orchestra" durring WW2, that was the name Hitler gave the many Communist resistance groups and spy rings in ocupied Europe.

TWI origionally wanted to make a mod about thease resistance groups, and therefor chose the name "Red Orchestra", but somehwere down the line, that idea was scrapped and they decided to do an east front mod instead, but they kept the name.. i guess because people had allready heard about the mod and knew that name.

So the name is not very fitting, as it does not depict the real risistance groups like BOPA who where called the Red Orchestra by the Germans.

What exactly are you saying "No" to here? Are you saying there was no rocket weaponry that the germans referred to as "stalin's organs"? Because if that's what you are saying then, you're dead wrong.

I know about the Red Orchestra ring, but the fact that you felt the need to tell us about it proves how irrelevant that fact is at the end of the day.

I resubmit that the "Orchestra" part of Red Orchestra can easily be taken to refer to a symphony of destruction, and the Red part has obvious connotations.

Understand I'm not trying to argue the history of the name with you, just that it's a good name, and the long term success or failure of the brand is not significantly influenced by the name, at least not negatively.

Upvote 0
Indeed agreed especially more realism, a squad system , and new game types.

New gametypes like what? CTF? :D
In seriousness though, i couldnt think of any other 'mode' fitting for RO.
War is about taking territory isnt it? And we allready have objectives to blow up etc. So what else could you do without making it a big pile of bullocks?

Upvote 0
What exactly are you saying "No" to here? Are you saying there was no rocket weaponry that the germans referred to as "stalin's organs"? Because if that's what you are saying then, you're dead wrong.

I know about the Red Orchestra ring, but the fact that you felt the need to tell us about it proves how irrelevant that fact is at the end of the day.

I resubmit that the "Orchestra" part of Red Orchestra can easily be taken to refer to a symphony of destruction, and the Red part has obvious connotations.

Understand I'm not trying to argue the history of the name with you, just that it's a good name, and the long term success or failure of the brand is not significantly influenced by the name, at least not negatively.

I am saying "no" to the name having any relation with either the Stalin Organs nor warfare on the east front, its not a metaphor, we know TWI chose that name because they where origionally making a game about the Red Orchestra, but then something happened.. and they made an east front mod instead, but kept the name.

Its like releasing a game called "Royal Air Force", but the game is actually about ground forces fighting in North Africa and there is not one single plane or airborne unit in it.. the game could still be great, but the name would allways seem strange, woulden't it?

You can try to find metaphorical meaning in the name all day long, but the history of both WW2, and the development of this game all point to the name beeing an ill fit, a handme down from another mod that never came to be.

Upvote 0
@ Nestor

I know the origins of the name 'Red Orchestra' however I disagree that you cannot metaphorically equate the term orchestra with war or combat.

Think about it, within an orchestra you have a variety of sections comprising of differing instruments working together and supporting each other, much like an army with it's various branches working and supporting each other. The orchestra is working to one end, that being expressing a piece of music, much like the army is working to one end, that being battle and ultimately victory.

Maybe I've had too many glasses of wine, and your free to call it far flung, but to me the obvious parallels are there, Q.E.D!!!

:D

Upvote 0
Half-Life corny when it was released? :rolleyes:
Maybe now, but not back then.
I read once in the "Raising the bar" book (something about Half-Life) and somewhere it said the name was actually random.

It's the name of a physical effect which occurs with radioactive materials.
Because the atoms are unstable they release ionizing radiation (be it in the form of helium nuclei, electrons or protons) to a point where the (often completely changed) element is stable again.

Everytime the radiation is decimated to half of what it used to be, the timespan of this effect is called a half-life.

It's pretty much NOT related to anything whatsoever in the game.

And about the name being corny, well... We (or at least I) used to think that "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" or "The Amazing Spiderman" was cool.
Looking back, it's pretty lame and above all corny.

Upvote 0