• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Super human abilities

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
Ok, not really, but almost.:D

We often have people who claim to have seen this and that in a photo or in a youtube video.
Examples (some are made up by me):
Soldiers hipshooting the Russian MG while jogging.
Someone shooting a SMG while diving somewhere.
Someone carrying two primary weapons.
Someone carrying way more 'nades than just two.

The common answer is: Yeah, its probably possible, but it wasn't done regulary.

It would be funny to have some of these things in RO (or rather the next tripwire FPS).
I don't know if any of you have played "Brute Force". Every character there has a "special ability gauge" and it goes down as long as you activate your special ability and it regenerates while you deactive it. These include invisibility, dual wielding, super steady auto aim, etc.

It would be funny if every class in RO had such a "special ability" that can only be used once per player every 10 minutes (changing classes doesn't change a thing. Always 10 minutes until you can pull the next big feat.).

Examples:
MG class:
Hipshoot your MG. The MG34 and the DP28 can be shot while jogging. The MG42 can be shot like the others can be now. Lasts five seconds.

Assault class:
Shoot your gun while diving somewhere - John Woo style. You activate it and it stays active for 20 seconds but it ends after you dived once.

Sniper class:
Use your pistol in your left hand without putting away your sniper first. You activate it and your pistol snaps into view and stays there for 15 seconds. The Alt-Fire key or the Iron-Sights button are used to fire the pistol now. Fire fires the sniper.

Rifleman class:
Spawn a stone into your inventory. Can be used to hit people (damage equals bajo or else there would be no reason to use it), can be thrown at people to inflict damage (damage equals riflebutt strike) and it looks similar to a Russian 'nade so it can scare people out of their hidings.
Stays in your inventory until you die.

What else do we have? Engineers? Commanders? I think the commander is a bunch of special abilities anyway. Maybe someone could think of something for the engineer other than putting up sentry guns. :D
Feel free to think up other cool things for the other classes as well.:D

Something like this would be good to have since it shuts a lot of people in the suggestion boards up because we finally have all those semi-impossible stunts in there that they want to pull off because they've seen it on a photo or in a documentary vid somewhere. But they are still rare. Just like they should be.

It would be fun. Admit it!:p;)

I wasn't. That's how I always write and Sepp, its not like those skills make you some ubersoldat with 10000 hitpoints or something. This isn't like the adrenalin mode in UT2004 or worse - the one in Medal of Honor European Assault. Just a few things that would be technically possible but would be abused if it was possible to pull them off by default.

Perfect mutator material. I can't do it myself and I doubt someone would do it for RO but in my eyes its a cool idea. Maybe in the next tripwire fps.

Upvote 0
Why not while we are at it we make the "myth WW2 mutator" team ratio is 1-7 German - Ruski. then decrease Russian accuracy with 90%, ammo with 70% and hitpoints by 99%.. Throw in unlimited Russian respawns and 3 sec death timer, and unlimited russian sprint. Cange the MG42 to have 10 000 rounds,no recoil, and never overheat. make the tiger have 1000% more hitpoints, and one shot one kill abillity even at IS2s.

*laughs*

Upvote 0
I don't know why this has to end up in "while we are at it" nonsense. Its like it would be impossible to fire a DP28 on the move. You won't hit sh!t with it, but who cares? If that's what you want to do. Your problem. As it IS a rare sight you could only do these stunts every ten minutes. Twice per round.

Its not like we would get a Robohitler with that or something. Maybe I chose the thread title with a too optimistic mind and I overestimated your ability to understand humorous exaggerations. I thought the first post would make things clear but no...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
being able to pick up a rock as a rifleman, or pull out a pistol with out putting away your primary weapon isnt too bad. Sprinting and shooting an LMG, sorry, no. The shooting out of a vehicle wouldnt be too bad, except what vehicle? The HT's are all too enclosed and the tanks have their own discussion. If I was going to have one new ability added, it would be to shoot to the side as you were running across a cross street to make people put their heads down.

Upvote 0
Are you trolling? Or are you just unable to read?

Its is entirely possible to fire the DP28 on the move (youtube videos exist where people are shown who have done it) and its entirely possible to hold a pistol in one hand while still holding a rifle in the other (I've done that myself, though I didn't fire either while I did it. I could have though), it is also entirely possible to squeeze the tirgger of a gun while you are diving somewhere. Its just not done often because you can't hit sh!it then.

In the game its not possible at all, because if it was possible people would do it all the time. Same reason why there is no jumping in Raven Shield. Real people can jump. Why wouldn't they? But if you could jump in Raven Shield, people would jump all the time. Sure, introduce a stamina system like in DoD. People would still jump. In DoD people often jump around corners so its harder to hit them. Absolute nonsense and the stamina system doesn't prevent it.
But its also nonsense that you couldn't jump at all.

Same with what I sugested here. Some things are possible but are just not done. And if they were possible in the game, people would use it much more often than they would in real life. RO would be turned into an action movie if you could do everything that was possible.

With my suggestion you can pull of some of the possible but not feasible things, but only once in 10 minutes. Not 100% realistic, but surely not 100% unrealistic either.
My examples are just that: Examples. I only suggested the general possibility.

I never suggested anything that would turn RO into a Quake or Doom clone for faque's sake. You read "super human abilities" and the first thing you do is to charge into the thread like an elephant into porcelain shop...:rolleyes:

Read. Think. Think again. Think of a way to word it politely. Post. In that order please...

Upvote 0
I believe it is just the fact that even if something is possible does not mean it is reasonable - or logical thing to do.

Like in german combat suspenders (regular model) the two straps you connect to backpack can be used to carry almost anything from AT mines to even some small extra gear - or even another breadpack! But none of those mentioned are practical.

And same with the helmet\E-tool melee weapon thing. Sure, they are deadly, but it is rather unpractica to start removing your helmet in middle of a close combat just to whack someone with it, since the time it takes to remove your helmet you could bash someone with your rifle or your fists, since by the time you remove your helmet you are already full of holes - believe it or not (go find original WW2 german helmet and just try it - even repro does the job) but it takes easily over three seconds to remove that thing. And not to mention your E-tool. Even though german Klappspaten can be snatched easily our from the carrier, you need to fold that devil and that's another story.

Another problem is game engine. Some things might be just limited by engines themselves that you can't model or code something properly and there are some things that are not just reasonable to code. Why spend many and many hours to code something that is 1. very unpratical, 2. due no#1 no-one would really use it and 3. is possible, but very unlikely and unpractical thing to do. It is not wise to make expection(s) = rule.

And possibly the biggest problem is that game is a game. Nuff said.

But still those ideas do sound great for a mutator.

Upvote 0
As those things are uncommon it can't be possible to do it in the game. People would do it all the time.
I already posted the example of jumping in Raven Shield/DoD. Another, more dramatic one, would be Postal 2. You don't have to go around and kill people there, but since its possible, players do it all the time.

That's why I wanted these things to be linked to that special ability button that only works once every 10 minutes. Like the "special abilities" in Brute Force just much much much les frequent and much much much less unrealistic. Things that would be possible would be possible in the game, but that restriction would prevent that they become common practise.

I agree that the implementation through a mutator would be the best way to go.

Upvote 0