• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

new player here. whats the scoop?

hi guys. i saw some vids on youtube of the tank models and i was very impressed with the what looks to be non arcade modeled armor and way above average sound:D. im a big ww2 online for PC non arcade player and my collectors edtion of the game is all ready to go...now whats the scoop?. are the makers still supporting this game because i see a lot of unhappy talk about this...are there going to be any new things added?.what type of hit detection engine does this game use especially dealing with armor- shell impacts if any?.also any tips appreciated. i left most of the other games now due to arcade,no support at all from the makers,cheaters and them being years old. i hope this game is a refreshment as im a tanker who hates arcade.;)

Last edited:
Welcome!

Well, imo, TWI is phasing out RO. Nothing bad about this, the updates they gave in the past were plenty.
You have 3 mods coming up covering the WW2 theme:
-Darkest Hour, opening the west front
-Mare Nostrum, Africa Campaign
-Carpathian Crosses, the romanian army on the east front
(Iron Europe is a WW1 mod)

Beside that you have teams like AHz or smaller groups releasing new content, which is imo pretty much equal quality (mostly ;) ) with stock content.

As far as tank combat goes, many are fans of the Armored Beasts mutator that adds a lot to the tank combat, as the stock tanks damage model is somewhat limited.

THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ABOUT AB!! :mad:

As im a coder for the carpathian crosses mod, which mainly comes with new early war tanks like the french built R35 or the T26 for the soviet side, i can say that our tank damage model is a lot more detailed to the stock one and imo also to the AB one. There is an interview with one of our devs which gives some ideas what we added.

Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0
Yes, the devs have put out and supported this game plenty since it came out nearly two years ago. Of course, there will always be players who want more, but I think the team has gone out of their way to be better than the norm. And yes, there are the mods that are being worked on also.

It sounds as if you will have fun here, so hope to see you in game. :)

Upvote 0
What type of hit detection engine does this game use especially dealing with armor- shell impacts if any?.

Well the game overall has full ballistics, with bullet drop, the nesseccity to lead your target, etc. For tank shells, each shell has a certain penetrating power at a certain range, and each tank has a certain armor rating on each of it's 4 sides. The angle the shell strikes the tanks armor matters, high angle shots have a tendency to bounce off, while 90 degree shots to the armor have a much greater chance of penetration. Once the round penetrates it deals damage to the tank, and it can hit ammo stores or the engine, both of which deal more damage, and may immobilize the tank. Tracks can be damaged, but this isn't as common as it should be.

This creates SOME weird problems. The PTRD anti-tank rifle is generally overpowered, probably for balacne reasons. Luckily it's not a huge problem on the maps, as they're limited and still take a good deal fo skill to actualy use well. The angle-deflection system creates some weird situations, like a Panther's tank shell bouncing off of a T-34. Satchel charges are also way overpowered against tanks. And there are a whole lot of other concerns about what areas should be vunerable on the tank and whatnot.

However, it's still the most detailed non-simulator tank game I've seen. If you like tank combat, try Black Day July (map for Kursk), Kirovi Rog, Orel, and....Arad (ducks head).

Upvote 0
thanks guys. sounds good. 1 more quick question for the new guy now.:p are there stats? also whats this about?-> thanks you for posting. youre post will not be visable untill a forum mod approves it? do they have to look at every message posted then approve it? or is this automated?.

Stats? There's basically just the score screen, most people don't worry about stats here. And that message you mentioned just comes up the first few times you post. Prevents spam and such. It should dissapear after your first post or two.

Upvote 0
There is no statistical tracking ala Team Fortress 2. (keeping track of length you play a certain class, how much damage done per life etc for example)

But there is ofcourse a scoreboard keeping track of your points that round, but none of it is saved if that is what youre wondering.
points are 1 for a kill, 5 points for MG ressuplying, and 10 points for zone captures. -2 for Teamkills and -5 for teamkilling the commander.
There is no kill/death ratio though, only these points being added up.

Upvote 0
ok thanks all. that about covers it. sad there isnt any tracked stats though. i always liked those and it added a lot to the game for me personally. but if the game plays as well as the youtube vids ive seen that will be enough for me. anyways thanks everyone for the help and the non rudeness. thats very nice compared to other places ive "left". cheers.:cool:

Upvote 0