• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Mist

Polygon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005
polygon.redorchestragame.com
Hey guys,

Just returned from seeing The Mist, and I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the movie. From the trailers, I thought it was one of those "pop out of the closet" horror films, but the acting and unique plot most certainly make up for it. I will not spoil the general plot, but you may find a parallel between the story and a well known FPS game out there.

CG was probably a bit too heavy in the sense that the special effects crew could have used animatronics or live props, but generally speaking, it was well done.

Acting was fantastic as well, particularly from Thomas Jane who you might remember from The Punisher and other films.

Anyways, if you have the time, I would highly recommend paying the ticket for this film.

This was my favorite Stephen King story of all time, and it's got the same director as Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile ... Particularly because, at least in the novella, what you don't know/"see" is more important than what you do.

I can't wait to see this in theaters. I actually have to wait until my wife and baby leave the country for Christmas a week before I do, though. Weee! =)

Upvote 0
Lol, even the most high-browed snobs doesnt consider S. King as pulp fiction, not any more at least. They came to realize (last of all, as usual) the many layers that resides so cleverly in his allegdly simple spooky ghost stories. Just think about Misery and The Shine.

King's allegories+ the slow, patient (even poetic) direction style of Darabont= win

Upvote 0
Lol, even the most high-browed snobs doesnt consider S. King as pulp fiction, not any more at least. They came to realize (last of all, as usual) the many layers that resides so cleverly in his allegdly simple spooky ghost stories. Just think about Misery and The Shine.

I am not high browed snob, and I don't have any opinion as to whether King belongs to pulp fiction or not (never even thought in those terms). I just think King is overrated moron, period.

Using and abusing small kids in movies to pull the emotional strings is entirely separate topic, and when done in King/Darabont movie just reeks of utmost predictability, which would merit it's own thread but lets not go there. Lets just say it makes me puke.

Upvote 0
Let's face it, kids are used in practically every film to work those emotional chords in the audience. It happens here as well, but it's not a major issue for me at least.

Roger Ebert, my favorite english-language movie critic once jokingly said something to the tune of (I am quoting from memory) "we should name a special genre for movies where father yells emotionally 'give me back my son!!'"

Now I don't know whether The Mist belongs to "give me back my son!" genre - I think he meant primarily divorce/family movies - but judging from poster it's gotta be close :p

Upvote 0

King's allegories+ the slow, patient (even poetic) direction style of Darabont= win
I have read one King book in my life, Dreamcatcher, and that was enough to cure me from reading any other of his works. That book read like a cheap, standard, run of the mill Hollywood script for a lame B-movie and guess what...

I'm sure he's written some excellent stuff, but I'll never be able to get that garbage out of my head.

Upvote 0
I saw something today -- someone was trying to say the revised ending of the film. Damn. I hope they were joking.

Basic synopsis of the story: A bunch of people are seemingly enclosed ... trapped ... in a grocery store as a mysterious fog moves in and weird sounds and sights are heard ... but no one else comes in the grocery store. Ever. Faced with some out-of-this-world stuff, groups of people start going insane or nutty religious until something has to break.

An important note: In the book (novella, actually), the monsters were really supposed to look cheesy. Really. Like little rubber play toys.

Upvote 0