• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] The Picture and GIF thread

Bah! This again?! It's a load. The image actually changes at random intervals. I don't want to go over this again. Read the debate in the TMH here.

I don't think this is true, the figure keeps spinning in the same direction every time, but it's your brain that changes the direction... and the foot that touches the ground is the part that tricks you into the optical illusion. Cover up that foot with your hand, watch it for a while, and take away your hand. It immediately changed directions for me.

If the figure really goes left and right in the image, someone should open the .gif in a program... anyone have ImageReady or something?:p

Upvote 0
I don't think this is true, the figure keeps spinning in the same direction every time, but it's your brain that changes the direction... and the foot that touches the ground is the part that tricks you into the optical illusion. Cover up that foot with your hand, watch it for a while, and take away your hand. It immediately changed directions for me.

If the figure really goes left and right in the image, someone should open the .gif in a program... anyone have ImageReady or something?:p
...I didn't want to get into this again. Take a look at which leg the dancer is balancing on. When she's spinning clockwise, it's the left leg. When it's counter clock-wise she's on the right and the leg that doesn't leave the ground.

And how would an anim GIF change randomly? The little interweb pixies do that?

...yes, it's a gif, so it's not totally randomly, but whoever made this didn't have it change every 30 seconds, that would be noticable. More likely they just had it change directions at random intervals.

Upvote 0
...yes, it's a gif, so it's not totally randomly, but whoever made this didn't have it change every 30 seconds, that would be noticable. More likely they just had it change directions at random intervals.

But there is no such thing as "random" in a .gif, it's just an animation. A small movie, so to say. An infinite loop that shows the same thing over and over again. So if the creator of the .gif really made the woman go left and right on purpose, on set intervals, could you tell me at which mark in the animation the dancer changes directions?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're right, it should be easily provable in ImageReady.

I think the real question everyone wants to ask here is; Would she still spin on a treadmill?

Golden.

Upvote 0
Awesome illusion.
Dont underestimate the human mind, it does weird stuff sometimes :p
I've found that if I open it in Ulead gifanim, I can start at the very first frame and decide if I want the dancer to spin clockwise or counter-clockwise.

The left/right brain thing is just bogus though...

bouncewoorb6.gif

(not an illusion)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just opened it in Sony Vegas, and the image consists of only 30 frames, and lasts exactly 1 second. So there you have it. Pwnt!:p
I find that disappointing...

I don't buy it though. I know I've seen the image change. If you go and look at the DoD forum there's a serious of images at the end. The poster is trying to point out that perception arguement, but if you look at the feet you can see it's bs, unless the dancer's got randomly broken feet. Did you look at the image on this thread, or did you use the image from the DoD thread?

Upvote 0
I find that disappointing...

I don't buy it though. I know I've seen the image change. If you go and look at the DoD forum there's a serious of images at the end. The poster is trying to point out that perception arguement, but if you look at the feet you can see it's bs, unless the dancer's got randomly broken feet. Did you look at the image on this thread, or did you use the image from the DoD thread?

Look, you've seen the image change because it's all in your head. The image shown here and linked to in the DoD forums is exactly the same image. It's an optical illusion.

Lookie....

Upvote 0