• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gears of War PC

sharpshooterklj

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006
I've been anxiously awaiting this game's arrival on the PC, however I'm not sure if my comp can run it decently. I'm not sure if there's going to be a demo released or not, and on a game with such high system specs I need a demo to see if my comp can handle it. Has anybody bought this yet? If so can you tell me how it runs in comparison with other UE3.0 games such as Bioshock and the UT3 Demo?

7600 GT
1 gig RAM
AMD Athlon 2.2 ghz

Yeah like me - your bolting on the best you can get to your old AMD system.( i presume this must be an agp system)
I've pushed mine to 3 gb ram.
The cpu is holding you back, but phaps also like me your holding off replacing it cos this means new board, new ram and pcie card.

Upvote 0
Its good, co-op is the main selling point for it. After an hour of shouting and swearing me and a friend got it working. M$ claim you only need a silver account to play co-op which is true but they don't tell you that you can't invite each other into a private game - which is something you need a gold account for. We had to create a public live list co-op match and then get my friend to find the game on his server list before anyone else could join. The LIVE thing is a load of bollocks. It serves no purpose other than to slow down and make your experience more frustrating. Talk about trying to dick up PC gaming.

As for the performance, it sustains a solid 60FPS throughout. If you have a high end system that is. It pretty much runs the same as the UT3 demo but looks better.

Upvote 0
i urge ne one who is considering buying this game to visit the epic forums and check out just how many people can't play this game not because of system specs but because of bugs! This has to be the most bugged game on release ever, yes even beating H&D!

A huge number of people just get a crash on start up. Epics advice? Reinstall...that doesnt work? oh sorry don't know erm check everything is patched up?

I didn't have this problem however i returned the game straight away....They had a year to convert this to the PC however they didnt take the time number 1) to make sure the live function works properly. A number of players who bought the game can't access live from the in game menu making SP unsaveable (so pointless unless you want to play through it in a single sitting) and mp unaccessible.

Number 2) Oh yeah keyboard and mouse support neone? Thats right the in game menus often don't work and when i loaded into my SP game my character ran around jumping up and down wildly i had zero control. I posted on the epic forums with my long list of bugs only to be told "We are aware that many of the bugs you have mentioned are very common in game, there is no fix for them at this time please enjoy the game".

WTF?!?!?! how can i enjoy a game i can't play. Well done epic *slow hand clap* i don't usually rant on about games because i try to find enjoyment in everything i play but this really hacked me off.

Oh and please dont be fooled by thinking my problem was down to system specs these things are encountered by people running from low system specs to high on both vista and xp...according to a lot of the support in the forums you simply get lucky if you copy of GoW plays at all and even luckier if once it runs you can actually play the game.

p.s. seriously if you think i'm some kind of whining idiot go check the forums here have a link http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

p.p.s if someone reads this like a year from now, and epic have released a patch then you can probs disregard this lol but for now this game is a P.O.S

Upvote 0
Me and a friend have suffered no 'bugs' you mention. We did have a bit of grief getting LIVE to work but that was down to the lack of gold accounts.

Anyway probably not what you want to hear when your raged, its like one of those threads when a new game comes out and the majority of people are suffering performance issues (looking at you Arma) and one person comes along as states the game runs fine on his/her inferior hardware :/

Maybe we just got lucky :)

Upvote 0