• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics PPD vs PPSH vs PPS

Oddly, I find the recoil of the PPSH to be the most easily controlled of all the SMGs in the game, it's pretty much the only one I play with, on either side. The kick on the MP40/41 is rather annoying, so I avoid it, the PPD is ok, but I always feel wierd playing with it, especially late war, I like the PPS ok too though. Mostly I stick to a bolt though.

Oh, and it was most common historically, and that I dig too.

Upvote 0
I was just testing out PPSh yesterday and still can't say I like it. It seems to have a lot less stopping power than PPS or for example MP-40. With those two the target will practically always die if you are the one who shoots first, but with PPSh I got killed at least ten times just because eventhough I hit the enemy multiple times he didn't die but shot me.

Upvote 0
PPD for The_Cook.

PPSH like to climb like a jet fighter when you hit that trigger
That late war smg doesn't have near enough bullets.

I find PPD combines the best of both, high ROF, lots of bullets, controllable recoil.

It's great for short and medium ranges. And so long as you are prone or supported on something it's decent enough at long ranges as long as you're willing to throw 40rnds down range some of the time =)

Upvote 0
well, if Im absolutely free in my choice, I go SVT all the way. But when there is the need for a saper or some more automatic firepower, its the ppsh for me. The recoil can be a pain in the @#! but going into a crouched position usualy helps a lot and should allow you to fire rapidly with acceptable accuracy...

Yeah, I agree. The SVT is the ultimate for clearing hallways, for example. I think it works a lot better than any SMG. Which is pretty unrealistic. Or maybe not. I have no idea, but in the game you can go head-on in a crouch against say three people with the German SMGs and the SVT will knock them all down before they get their guns down to your level.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree. The SVT is the ultimate for clearing hallways, for example. I think it works a lot better than any SMG. Which is pretty unrealistic. Or maybe not. I have no idea, but in the game you can go head-on in a crouch against say three people with the German SMGs and the SVT will knock them all down before they get their guns down to your level.

You can do that kind of thing with smgs too. People just too often don't want to "aim". If you do this "aiming" with an smg it becomes more accurate and you don't randomly spray everywhere. If "aim" enough odd things start to happen, like you notice just how bad your average sprayer really is.

Also the mp40 is underrated. Go go full auto accuracy.

Upvote 0
For defending, I use the PPD because the rate of fire is lower and I can conserve ammo, while I use the PPSH for attacking. Everyone is scared of the PPSH :D

I don't know if ammo conservation is ever really a concern for me. You've got 4, 71 round drums of ammo. With aimed bursts that's usually enough. But my main problem is the exaggerated recoild on the PPSH. Yes, I know, it's based on frame rates. But it's extremely difficult to control even in short bursts. If you've got a PC that gives you high frame rates, try firing off just one shot and see how much it jumps. Because of this I usually take the PPSH43, as it's far more controlable. A shame because it's historically innacurate to carry one of those around, like the MP-41.

Upvote 0
I don't know if ammo conservation is ever really a concern for me. You've got 4, 71 round drums of ammo. With aimed bursts that's usually enough. But my main problem is the exaggerated recoild on the PPSH. Yes, I know, it's based on frame rates. But it's extremely difficult to control even in short bursts. If you've got a PC that gives you high frame rates, try firing off just one shot and see how much it jumps. Because of this I usually take the PPSH43, as it's far more controlable. A shame because it's historically innacurate to carry one of those around, like the MP-41.

Just saying, if I dig into a foxhole my ammunition last longer with a PPD due to the fact that a less amount of bullets are fired when firing bursts.

I also have low FPS, so my PPD is almost as accurate as a rifle :)

Upvote 0
I prefer the '43 when i can get it, half the mag size, but you get more mags, making ammunition management easier. When you only have 3 mags and a smart-mag system like RO has that monitors the number of rounds left, i don't want to end up reloading, have the mag read as heavy and then only get half the clip. Also the '43 is more accurate i find, especially when rested.

No '43 and i take the '40, it's not too bad for accuracy upto about 250-300m, so long as you take your time and fire bursts, even if you're not rested it's still reasonably accurate, plus a lower ROF is always a good thing in my book, i want to kill, not pepper, and when i kill i don't want to waste rounds i could use to kill other people.

I usually try to avoid the '41, i wouldn't shoot that thing unless my life depends on it, it bucks, it roars, it makes a lot of noise and fires a lot of bullets, anyone who knows warhammer 40K knows that those are the virtues that an Ork would look for in a gun. Also, it's impossible to fire a single round, you can only ever double-tap someone at the very least, try it. Just tap your fire and look on the ground, i garuntee you'll see at least 2 shells if not more.

Bottom-line is i'm a precision gamer, i like to fire fewer rounds for full effect; helps save ammo, helps me stay concealed if i've been sneaky, makes it easier to cap that dude who sticks his head out of his tank or the guy who looks round the corner.

Upvote 0