• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unreal Tournament 3 Demo

The reason ue3 is a bit rubbishy looking is due to no effing AA. For god sakes my graphics card can handle AA and HDR at the same time let me use it! Or bugger HDR AA is 10x more important to graphics quality imo unless your a console noob.

Sigh... you can't have AA because of deferred lighting rendering. But 8 series cards can have AA if you either rename the executable to R6vegas or something or use nHancer and turn on R6 Vegas AA compatibility mode for the demo .exe.

Upvote 0
Engine runs great, thanks to the 8800GTS 640mb in my system, but that doesn't change the fact the engine looks bad in this game. Gears of War looks awesome, Bioshock is artistically awesome, but not so great engine-wise.

This game is visciously BLOCKY. Everything looks like squares. Textures may improve with retail release, but that won't change the fact that the post-processing is over-done, despite the setting it is on (it just blurs everything when everything looks blurry already), or the fact that everything looks bland, skyboxes/2D map borders look hideous, water looks terrible, etc. These are not necessarily problems with the engine, but problems with this game for sure. Basically, I figured Epic would be the ones to unleash the full fury of U3.0 engine, this looks nothing like what's on the demo videos for the engine.

And no AA is hilarious. There's not a lot of pixellation at 1440x900, but it's still noticeable. Differed pixel lighting whatever doesn't make any difference, because it doesn't look all that hot in the first place. I'd rather have AA, that might make it look a bit easier on the eyes.

I'm unimpressed so far.

Upvote 0
Engine runs great, thanks to the 8800GTS 640mb in my system, but that doesn't change the fact the engine looks bad in this game. Gears of War looks awesome, Bioshock is artistically awesome, but not so great engine-wise.

This game is visciously BLOCKY. Everything looks like squares. Textures may improve with retail release, but that won't change the fact that the post-processing is over-done, despite the setting it is on (it just blurs everything when everything looks blurry already), or the fact that everything looks bland, skyboxes/2D map borders look hideous, water looks terrible, etc. These are not necessarily problems with the engine, but problems with this game for sure. Basically, I figured Epic would be the ones to unleash the full fury of U3.0 engine, this looks nothing like what's on the demo videos for the engine.

And no AA is hilarious. There's not a lot of pixellation at 1440x900, but it's still noticeable. Differed pixel lighting whatever doesn't make any difference, because it doesn't look all that hot in the first place. I'd rather have AA, that might make it look a bit easier on the eyes.

I'm unimpressed so far.

Blocky? Have you checked that your screen size is at 100%?

Upvote 0

I'm unimpressed so far.

Thats pretty much all Demo related, UT demo's have allways looked unimpressive compared to the finished product (and thats a good thing! thankfully Epic understands that a Demo should not weigh in at multiple GB's!), its much too early to pass any judgement, wait till we've seen the finished product.

Upvote 0
thankfully Epic understands that a Demo should not weigh in at multiple GB's!),

Yeah, thankfully there are still smart developers.

UE3 definitely doesn't look bad. If you say it does, you're silly.

Keep in mind that the Unreal engine, unlike Source or whatever, is capable of producing a large variety of graphics. Futuristic, realistic, medieval, whatever. Can't say that of many game engines!

And I'm 100% sure that UE3 IS capable of AA.

Be glad that there are still developers that rank scalability, variety and stability equally high as pretty graphics. UE3 is the best engine at the moment. No fanboy talk here, that's just the facts.

Upvote 0
It doesn't look washed out. What settings are you using anyway?
Oh and you can always play UT 2004 if you like bright colours :rolleyes:

It does a bit actually, because we only have the low-end textures in the demo, which thease guys should know had they just read any of the thread..

Or they are just trolling, could be, the texture thing has been mentioned 5 times or so just on this page alone.

Upvote 0
Xendance can you better explain how to turn on AA in ue3 games. I have 8800gts and hate that bioshock/airborne/ut3 don't let me utilize the features of my card.

Devs said that you can only have AA in UE 3 games while running on DX 10, but that isn't the case. Don't know why they said that.

Well you could use nhancer and edit the UT 3 demo profile so that you turn on R6 Vegas AA compatibility mode, or you could just rename the demo executable to R6Vegas.exe (or whatever the exe name is).

Upvote 0
Just did some reading up on this.

The deferred rendering HDR that ue3 uses is not officialy compatible with AA in direct x 9.

To do both you will need vista/dx10.

You can force some form of AA on by renaming the exe to bioshock (or r6vegas) and forcing it via your control panel (however i remember bioshock not having aa either :S) .

Can someone with Vista and an 8800 series confirm that you can force AA on in ue3 games?? Cos if you can thats the most persuasive argument i have seen to get vista :p.

I will take some screenshots on stock, with hacked AA and hopefully someone can post vista shots of the same bit for comparison.

Upvote 0