• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

picking up a second SMG?

Kind of not an argument for or against - but the far right SMGer on the Konigs loading screen (with the IS-2) is firing a ppsh while he has another main weapon on his back.

Forget about it, pictures dont represent the truth its just pictures, if this game clames to be in favor of realism i hope they never implement such unrealistic feature.

Upvote 0
Forget about it, pictures dont represent the truth its just pictures, if this game clames to be in favor of realism i hope they never implement such unrealistic feature.
Please, tell me: What's unrealistic about it?
Is it unrealistic for a soldier to grap a weapon when he needs it and use it until the magazine is empty?
Is it unrealistic to see a rifle soldier firing a SMG he just picked up and see him throwing it away after he used it to grap his rifle again?
Don't think so.
In todays Ro, it is already possible - but not as special feature that can be used by a simple button click implemented. Instead, you have to throw away your weapon, pick another weapon up and use it. After this, you throw the new weapon away and grap your old one.
Besides the fact that this is really a long process und so unusable - is it unrealistic?
If you think so, you should ask Triwpire to delet the possiblity of throwing away your weapon when not out of ammo - because it could be "abused" in the way I described.
A second-weapon-feature would do nothing else then what I described - just a bit faster and automatic, thus giving RO a new feature(actually, I do not know any game that features something similar).

Upvote 0
Please, tell me: What's unrealistic about it?
Is it unrealistic for a soldier to grap a weapon when he needs it and use it until the magazine is empty?
Is it unrealistic to see a rifle soldier firing a SMG he just picked up and see him throwing it away after he used it to grap his rifle again?
Don't think so.
In todays Ro, it is already possible - but not as special feature that can be used by a simple button click implemented. Instead, you have to throw away your weapon, pick another weapon up and use it. After this, you throw the new weapon away and grap your old one.
Besides the fact that this is really a long process und so unusable - is it unrealistic?
If you think so, you should ask Triwpire to delet the possiblity of throwing away your weapon when not out of ammo - because it could be "abused" in the way I described.
A second-weapon-feature would do nothing else then what I described - just a bit faster and automatic, thus giving RO a new feature(actually, I do not know any game that features something similar).

Actually COD series already uses this arcadish feature of running around with two weapons, if you ever been to the army you will know that carrying a rifle plus rifle ammo, plus full gear you will have enough weight to not want to run around with another secondary weapon belive me and soldiers in WW2 also wouldnt do this because of the things i said above. trowing away your weapon to carry a new one plus ammo makes much more sense because you ditch one weight to carry another.

Upvote 0
Well, I'll agree it sure is not common to carry more then one weapon in the forces (Canadian Forces is my personal experience) but I have on occasion carried a C9 LMG (M249 to the rest of the world) and a C7 rifle (a variant of the M16) It does suck...it makes you awkward and slow, but if one was setting up a defensive MG posn, it wouldn't be too bad to have your MG and your personal rifle.

I think it would be a good idea, if you make the person slower and more ackward (perhaps unable to climb as steep of hills...or maybe add an extra level of jangle coming from them, so they have a harder time sneaking around too)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually COD series already uses this arcadish feature of running around with two weapons.

Of course it doesn't, Call of Duty allows you to carry two weapons permanently. . . what we are suggesting is the ability to carry a second weapon temporally. It may sound like a small difference, but I assure you the two are NOT the same.

In this suggestion, if you picked up a rifle you would get five shots at most before you had to drop it, if it was an SMG you might get about 25 rounds if your lucky, the weapon wont last long enough to make you some unstoppable force with some super weapon combo, but it could be something that just might save your skin once or twice.

If I can sling my rifle on by back and leave my pistol holstered, it leaves me with empty hands, and empty hands can pick up stuff. . . stuff like that handy looking MP40 on the floor in front of me. I feel confident saying that most people would want to take advantage of the tools at their disposal.

I think it would be a good idea, if you make the person slower and more awkward (perhaps unable to climb as steep of hills...or maybe add an extra level of jangle coming from them, so they have a harder time sneaking around too)

I totally agree coolmode, thats exactly the same type of stuff I said earlier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...if you ever been to the army you will know that carrying a rifle plus rifle ammo, plus full gear you will have enough weight to not want to run around with another secondary weapon belive me and soldiers in WW2 also wouldnt do this.
trowing away your weapon to carry a new one plus ammo makes much more sense...

Hahaha! What a stupid argumentation! Kumando, have you ever served in a war?
Me either, but I know all you want to do in a war is SURVIVE! And if you can survive just for the next 5 minutes cause you picked up that SMG from the ground and kill the next enemy in a close combat situation (instead of using your rifle) you WOULD DO THAT! 100%! And NO officer would blame you for that!
On the other hand the officer would blame you for ditching your issued weapon without a good reason!

So exchanging your weapons is MORE unrealistic than picking up a second and keeping your own! :D

It was not common doctrine for soldiers to carry two weapons - im sure some soldiers picked a fallen weapon from enemy in WW2 but for sure it was not common pratice so i say hell no.

Well, if you admit that SOME soldiers did it IRL, then ingame it would be the same:
SOME players will do it, and others dont. Whats the problem? :rolleyes:

And by the way, Mr. Know-it-all:
My uncle served in the Wehrmacht in WW2 on the eastern front, and he told me that looting a PPSh was more than common!
The PPSh was simply better than the MP40 (larger magazine and much more reliable) and so many german soldiers tried to get one.
It was also issued in large numbers cause so many were captured in the early days of the war. :cool:

And also russian soldiers looted enemy guns if they could. See this picture!
This was an official picture of of the best two PTRD soldiers of the red army! Published in some soviet propaganda newspaper!!!
And nobody did care that this guy has a german MP40 around his neck. :rolleyes:

ptrd41photo1.jpg

Its proberly considered as a trophy - so dont tell me its not common to loot ememy equipment.

;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you're misunderstanding. look at the loading screen that shows allies in Konigs. The one on the right has a ppsh on his back and is firing one. Likely a bug but it's interesting.

Actually, I've noticed that the game allows you to pick up several copies of your weapon (MP40, PPSh41, Kar, Mosin, etc.), and each one you pick up increases your magazine count by 1, and the weapon appears on your back. I've never tested to see if there's a limit to how many you can collect, but I've fought with 5 clips available for my PPSh on Lyes Krovi as a Russian and 7 for the MP40 (as Germans).

Upvote 0
Actually, I've noticed that the game allows you to pick up several copies of your weapon (MP40, PPSh41, Kar, Mosin, etc.), and each one you pick up increases your magazine count by 1, and the weapon appears on your back. I've never tested to see if there's a limit to how many you can collect, but I've fought with 5 clips available for my PPSh on Lyes Krovi as a Russian and 7 for the MP40 (as Germans).

Yes, I've noticed the same bug! I picked up another MP-40 and then I suddenly got 6 mags. I also had a feeling that my ammo count didn't actually decrease, I thought I emptied a mag and reloaded and still I had 6 mags left.

Upvote 0
I'm against it. As has been said, it may be possible, maybe even practical, but it's definetly the exception, especially back in WWII (or GPW, whichever you want to call it). You have to remember, back then, it wasn't uncommon for a submachine gun to weigh as much as a rifle. I imagine that the original pick of the German shooting a PPSh with his MP40 slung over his back can be explained by 1) the PPSh was very popular with the Germans, 2) soldiers like war trophies, and 3) I doubt that his superiors would be happy if his MP40 went "missing". He'd probably get either of them stashed once he got relieved and carry the next one on his next assignment. Like I said, the German soldiers loved the PPSh, so much so that the Germans came out with a 9mm conversion kit for it.

Also, being able to carry two smgs/rifles simultaneously would kill the class system. Otherwise people'd just run around sniping people with their Mosin and spraying them with their PPSh when things got too close.

It's just not a good idea.

Upvote 0
Also, being able to carry two smgs/rifles simultaneously would kill the class system. Otherwise people'd just run around sniping people with their Mosin and spraying them with their PPSh when things got too close.
And again:
Nobody here is talking about carrying two weapons simultaneosly. We are talking about the possibility of using a second weapon temporary.
This means: You are not able to carry two weapons. You can just grab a different weapin lying around:
-When you take it and switch your weapon, you automatically throw away the second weapon you have taken.
-When the magazine of the new weapon is empty, you automatically throw it away.
So, there is no possibillity of playing with a rifle and a SMG at the same time. You just uses a second weapon in an emergency situation. Imagine being a rifle soldier on an urban map. You are lucky and can kill an enemy SMG soldier when he runs into a hall. You also know that there are more of them coming to your position. So, what would you do in real life? Just crouch into a corner, hoping that the enemy will not see you when arriving? Just sit down behind the door to get killed after firing your first round on the attackers? Or would you just grab the PPSh of the dead soldier in front of you?
Well, I think I know what I would do.
Sadly, RO does not allow this ATM. Of course, you can throw away your weapon and take the new one - but in most cases, it just takes too much time.
So, a feature just to grab a weapon and use it until it's magazine is empty would be a nice touch.

Upvote 0
And again:
Nobody here is talking about carrying two weapons simultaneosly. We are talking about the possibility of using a second weapon temporary.
This means: You are not able to carry two weapons. You can just grab a different weapin lying around:
-When you take it and switch your weapon, you automatically throw away the second weapon you have taken.
-When the magazine of the new weapon is empty, you automatically throw it away.
So, there is no possibillity of playing with a rifle and a SMG at the same time. You just uses a second weapon in an emergency situation. Imagine being a rifle soldier on an urban map. You are lucky and can kill an enemy SMG soldier when he runs into a hall. You also know that there are more of them coming to your position. So, what would you do in real life? Just crouch into a corner, hoping that the enemy will not see you when arriving? Just sit down behind the door to get killed after firing your first round on the attackers? Or would you just grab the PPSh of the dead soldier in front of you?
Well, I think I know what I would do.
Sadly, RO does not allow this ATM. Of course, you can throw away your weapon and take the new one - but in most cases, it just takes too much time.
So, a feature just to grab a weapon and use it until it's magazine is empty would be a nice touch.

In these conditions i can agree but runing around carrying two weapons i dont.

Upvote 0
I think it would not make the game too fun. I don't want to be in a duel with a rifleman, only after having fired 5 shots have him realize that he has an SMG on his back, then rush me while blazing away. Even if I'm the only one he kills with it, because he has no more ammo, it'd still be pretty lame.

If we're going to put this kind of thing in RO, I also want to see MG-42s that can be deployed on German soldier's backs, whistles for Soviet platoon leaders that force all Soviet players to rush or be auto-killed, Soviet dogs with bombs strapped to their backs as moving land mines, German STG-44s that can shoot around corners, etc...

Lmfao...rush or auto-killed. Just give the squad leader a DP-28 along with his PPSH so he can gun down any guy who doesn't rush lol. That's a good point though......the Germans did experiment with STG-44s that had curved barrels for corner-shooting.

Upvote 0
Well in a real life situation i wouldn't take time to "sling my rifle" onto my back then pick up the smg. i would just swap straight away. its much quicker to do that. If this temporary pick up worked realistically it would be useless because there would still be a delay in the pick up. So i say don't bother adding this in as its just a waste of valuable programming time when you have a system which will work pretty much the same if you think about it

Upvote 0