• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AK-47's - any words of advice?

Thats why the VC chose m-16s.

Halfway true... They'd use as many M16's as they could get ahold of. Believe it or not there is a ****-ton of attributes built into the AR-15 that some warriors find preferable on the battlefield. If nothing else, the M16 was a fair step up from an SKS or a Nagant, and so it was still used when captured. I believe in Carlos Hatchcock's famous duel with a VC or NVA sniper, said VC sniper was using a scoped M16.

However I don't think the one North Hollywood bank robber transitioned to an AR-15 after his AK jammed, he moved to a Beretta or some such weapon, eventually shooting himself. The other robber's AK functioned until he was stopped. They fired literally thousands of rounds that day - most in fully automatic - really heating that AK up. Any rifle would have been lucky to function without a failure under those conditions.

AK47's do have a looser maintenance schedule than AR's but lets not pretend that it runs on magic. I've even seen FTE out of a Chinese MAK. (higher end of the quality spectrum)

Word's of advice? Look into the 5.45 models, it seems that the ammo is the same price as 7.62 now, and its a helluva round.

Upvote 0
However I don't think the one North Hollywood bank robber transitioned to an AR-15 after his AK jammed, he moved to a Beretta or some such weapon, eventually shooting himself. The other robber's AK functioned until he was stopped. They fired literally thousands of rounds that day - most in fully automatic - really heating that AK up. Any rifle would have been lucky to function without a failure under those conditions.

Didn't he throw his jammed AK on the ground and then a round went off? Which killed him through/despite his bullet proof vest ...

Upvote 0
Didn't he throw his jammed AK on the ground and then a round went off? Which killed him through/despite his bullet proof vest ...

No, his rifle jammed, so he went to his pistol. The pistol was either shot out of his hand, or he dropped it. When he picked it up he either shot himself, or it went off.

As for the VC taking M16's, I heard that they told each other to leave those "black rifles" were they lay. I mean if I'd just killed some of my enemies, and I didn't die doing it because their rifle jammed, I wouldn't want it either. Later in the war that may have changed but when the M16 first got shipped over there with no cleaning kits, (jungle environment and no cleaning kit...brilliant) it did tend to jam far too often. This lead to many deaths on our side that might not have happened otherwise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not gonna say that some VC didn't avoid the black rifle during the 12 years that it saw service there, but it was certainly not something all VC avoided. The freedom fighters knew all too well the horror of coming under American fire, and the ferocious wounds of the 55gr .223 which left virtually no survivors.

As for the Hollywood Shootout:
He put the pistol to his chin and than it went off. Considering his options at this point in the story, and hurt from being shot dozens of times (with armor) the suicide version is easier to believe than the negligent discharge theory.

He probably panicked when the gun was shot from his hand and he realized that he may not be able to take his own life - so he hurried up and handled that.

The other gunman was killed when he was shot with an AR-15 in the legs from underneath the car they were fighting around, falling to the ground he was shot several more times. He survived initially but scandal still surrounds the situation which followed, some believe that the police kept emergency services away so that the gunman would have time to die of his wounds.

Upvote 0