• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HL2 Episode 2 (possible spoilers)

sharpshooterklj

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006
This is probably the best Half Life experience I've had so far. Its very different than HL2 and Episode 1, especially with the locales and game environment. The "cinematic" moments really make use of that new "cinematic physics engine" that Valve has been talking about. So far I've seen it put to use around 3 times, and each time it happened I got barely any slowdown even though the stuff going looked like it would need a lot of CPU power. The new environments look amazing, the first time I entered the caves I forgot I was playing a Source game. The new flashlight shadows and effects look really cool, it looks quite similar to what you see in Stalker except not as demanding power-wise. The only negative thing I've seen so far is that if you turn the flashlight on outdoors it causes a considerable framerate drop. It doesn't really bother me though because you don't need a flashlight outside, and for some reason when you turn it on inside it doesn't bother the frame rate at all.
Feel free to post your thoughts, but maybe put (spoiler) at the top of the post if it might reveal anything.

(oh and please don't post any generic "HL2 sucks" comments, they really don't add anything to the thread other than flame bait)

Half-Life/Source's guns will never be ok until the Cone of Fire is dead, burned, corpse humped, burned some more and then buried. Source needs RO's SMGs...actually, I just want tripwire to do the weapons in all games from now on. I was replaying HL2: Ep1 recently (preparing for Ep2) and the weapons really pissed me off. Their .357 magnum is the equivalent of a 7.62 nato/.30 calibre rifle round...

Upvote 0
Poor RO - its getting some serious competition for my playing time these days, Ep2 and TF2... downloading now, at 50%, christ how big is this baby?

Mine as well, my time is limited these days; and I prefer to spend it on TF2 and my precious sims :)

D3terioNation said:
Hehe you'l be back

After thousands of "RO hours", I'm extremely bored these days. I mastered the game, been in a great clan for years, RO forums are dying slowly . . . I need something new. It's about time for an "announcement" from TW ;)

Upvote 0
Just finished it and loved it and loved the ending (though sad) even more than the other parts of the series.

The source engine is great as it can play on max settings on my laptop apart from V sync off and texture filtering at x4 and anti aliasing x2. It looks beautiful and looks more 'real' than some games with what people would say are better graphics and the only jaggies i saw were on the legs of the target practice strider that had a large amount of HDR sun behind it.

Makes me want to play HL1 +ex packs again, though someone stole my cdkey and i cant use it on steam so its either pay $10 and shipping to the US to reset my key, pay ~

Upvote 0
Just finished Episode 2 and by gum they have surpassed themselves. Throughout the game i found myself in complete original locals, against clever enemies using new methods to defeat them.

Add on top of that a hugely intense final battle and a fantastic storyline makes me impatient for ep3 already!!

I feel its almost harsh to give it a review as a standalone because if you pair it with ep1 you have simply the best game (and storyline) ever. No doubts at all. Plus its only 2/3 of the story!

Anyway, very very good and if you have played all the half life series you will love this!

Upvote 0
Just finished Episode 2 and by gum they have surpassed themselves. Throughout the game i found myself in complete original locals, against clever enemies using new methods to defeat them.

Add on top of that a hugely intense final battle and a fantastic storyline makes me impatient for ep3 already!!

I feel its almost harsh to give it a review as a standalone because if you pair it with ep1 you have simply the best game (and storyline) ever. No doubts at all. Plus its only 2/3 of the story!

Anyway, very very good and if you have played all the half life series you will love this!
I think exactly the same, great game.

Upvote 0
Just finished it and loved it and loved the ending (though sad) even more than the other parts of the series.

Whaaaat, a sad ending? Seriously, if Alyx dies I'm never buying another Valve game! :(

I like it so far, although the amounts of antspiders annoys me, never liked them as an enemy and wish they would feature less. Stupid damn things, charges straight at you and takes no skill to kill, just annyoing as heck. And in a way I feel sorry for them - I wanna kill the Combine, not some poor creatures defending their nest...

Btw, How can you guys have finished it already, it's only been out two days ferrchrissake! Have you no lives?!
j/k :p

Upvote 0
The landsacpes are amazing and the level design is crafty as usual but I feel disappointed and even misled.
What was supposed to be the climax turned to be a stalling fight against a dozen striders with 2 hunters each, prickling in controled pace. Nothing like what the gameplay trailers promised: hordes of troopers, hunters, gunships, striders and friendlies locked in an epic, chaotic battle.

I was so sure that its going to come and that the actual fight was just a warm-up when the game came to its end. :mad:

I also expected to do some lone cross country driving. Not that I have anything against Alyx, but to really absorb the gloomy, eerie atmosphere you need to be alone.

Nevertheless, worhty game and the orange box rocks.

Upvote 0
Amazing, simply amazing. I thought it would be overshadowed by Portal and Tf2 and in some ways it is...but I honestly wasn't expecting such an intense experience from it. Which is silly, because its Valve and its Half-Life, they know what they are doing.

The new locales look beautiful and the upgrades to the source engine mean its easily able to stand up to many recent games and still be far more playable and less taxing on system resources. The open arena's for fighting are incredibly well designed, as is everything else. Voice acting, direction and story are superbly done. Merle Dandridge goes above and beyond with her performance as Alyx.

Fights to look forward to; the mine defense against the Antlions, especially when the Vorts come along to help. The Hunter fight at the radio tower and the final battle, running down hunters with your car, shooting strider busters, the shouts and screams of your allies, alarms, explosions and an excellent piece of music.

Its longer than Ep1 bit shorter than HL2. However, whats there is actually better than both of them.

Upvote 0