• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Want to know how to field strip an SVT-40?

I started to get motion sick trying to watch it, and i never get motion sick, for future refrence, you might wanna get a mate to hold the cam, have the cam stationary pointing 45 degree's down on a table where you can work on the gun, or atleast dont drink 2 pots of coffee before filming :D ;)

It'd be interesting to watch, but im not kidding about the motion sickness..

Upvote 0
the designers of the svt were brillant. No tools are needed to filed strip the svt...If anything the tip of a bullet. how he was able to strip it with just one had i have no idea...it always takes me two

That's incorrect. You need at least a wrench to take out the gas piston and on that same wrench is a pentagonal adjustment to open/close the gas system. the SVT is one of the worst firearms I have ever had to fieldstrip.

Upvote 0
you dont need the pentagonal wrench to get the gas port/adjuster off.
that would need to be done in a "detail strip", not a "field strip".
anyways, the easiest way (without buying the 20 dollar pentagonal wrench) is to use a CRESCENT WRENCH. See how the gas pot is SQUARE? You can get some little wood pieces, put on both side of the square part (so as not to damage metal) then twist it counterclockwise and the gas port will come loose. You can take it all the way off if you want, but just loosen it, then you can manipulate the gas port adjuster with your fingers, turn it to the setting you want, then tighten the gas por back up. THAT'S IT!
I don't know why people make things harder than they should be.
And now i'm wondering what guns you've field stripped. If it's hard for you to field strip an SVT-40, well gosh, good thing you weren't a russian in ww2, cause you would never have been issued one.
I mean for christs sakes, I can do it ONE-HANDED. The video wont come out any good if I do, but still, it's not hard to do.

Upvote 0
you dont need the pentagonal wrench to get the gas port/adjuster off.
that would need to be done in a "detail strip", not a "field strip".
anyways, the easiest way (without buying the 20 dollar pentagonal wrench) is to use a CRESCENT WRENCH. See how the gas pot is SQUARE? You can get some little wood pieces, put on both side of the square part (so as not to damage metal) then twist it counterclockwise and the gas port will come loose. You can take it all the way off if you want, but just loosen it, then you can manipulate the gas port adjuster with your fingers, turn it to the setting you want, then tighten the gas por back up. THAT'S IT!

Misleading. My SVT-40 had a build up of crud in the gas system that required me to order the $20 wrench to adjust the gas setting, this even after I had completely field stripped it. If you want to take your chances with a crescent wrench and "pieces of wood", with the possibility of rounding off the adjuster, be my guest.

And what is this "detail strip" that you are talking about, somehow being different from a 'field strip'? It is as if believe you do not need to clean the gas system (specifically the piston and piston cup) after shooting corrosive ammunition, which then in turn will leave a deposit that will eat away at the components. Sounds like you are full of hog wash to me.

I don't know why people make things harder than they should be.
And now i'm wondering what guns you've field stripped. If it's hard for you to field strip an SVT-40, well gosh, good thing you weren't a russian in ww2, cause you would never have been issued one.
I mean for christs sakes, I can do it ONE-HANDED. The video wont come out any good if I do, but still, it's not hard to do.
I never said it was hard. I said it was a pain in the ***. Great comprehension there. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, so how does one get the gas adjustment system to loosen up? My tool slips right over the pentagonal part of the piece, and it won't budge at all once I've removed the rest of the piston assembly.

If I remember correctly they aren't screwed in so you can actually push them out by tapping them out with a hammer. If you want to try this I'd recommend that you soak it in something like break-free first and use a brass or plastic hammer so that you don't damage valve.

Personally, if its functioning I'd leave it as is, not worth the risk of loosing the part.

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly they aren't screwed in so you can actually push them out by tapping them out with a hammer. If you want to try this I'd recommend that you soak it in something like break-free first and use a brass or plastic hammer so that you don't damage valve.

Personally, if its functioning I'd leave it as is, not worth the risk of loosing the part.

I'm just going to leave it is as for now. Something tells me the tool I bought to adjust the valve isn't as good as I thought it would be. I ordered a reportedly better one from Black River Gunsmithing, so hopefully that fixes the issue of being unable to move the valve.

Upvote 0
I'm just going to leave it is as for now. Something tells me the tool I bought to adjust the valve isn't as good as I thought it would be. I ordered a reportedly better one from Black River Gunsmithing, so hopefully that fixes the issue of being unable to move the valve.

That's the tool I use (Black River Gunsmithing) and it's perfect. I answered your question in the G43 forum.

Upvote 0