• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thompson's crusade

I still can't figure out if he truely belives in all that pap, or if he just thought suing big game companies would be his ticket to fame and fortune, and now he's painted himself into a corner..

Nut job? or shameless profiteer? i honestly can't tell, and im usually pretty good it spotting the difference.

Upvote 0
Whenever he is interviewed and someone asks him uncomfortable questions he makes a face that reminds me of that of a little boy who is caught lying but isn't ready to admit it yet because he hopes for the slightest chance to get out of it unharmed.

He is someone who started an argument for the argument's sake (namely he sued Rock* for the sake of sueing them and earning money and fame in the process) and now he is too proud to admit he was wrong and he is frantically trying to get attention again by repeating the same old crap again and again. He should have quit that videogame jazz right after he lost his first case. He didn't because of false pride and over-self-estimation and now its far too late.
That sad sod lost all his credibility over the past few years. If he quits now he could as well go ahead and quit his job too. He has to fight on now but that rides him even deeper into sh!t.

Kind of sad and maybe I would feel sorry for him if he wouldn't have insulted my hobby as much as he did.

Upvote 0
There is too much money involved in gaming for anything to really happen. Especially the type of gaming that appeals to the dark and twisted adult mind - a genre that hasnt even had its surface scratched yet. When big money is involved, morals get thrown right out the window. It's okay Jack, you dont have to buy it if you dont want to.. just like the pay sex channels, or magazines, or whatever.

Upvote 0
There is too much money involved in gaming for anything to really happen. Especially the type of gaming that appeals to the dark and twisted adult mind - a genre that hasnt even had its surface scratched yet. When big money is involved, morals get thrown right out the window. It's okay Jack, you dont have to buy it if you dont want to.. just like the pay sex channels, or magazines, or whatever.

true, however I think most of the emphasis is to try and keep the garbage out of the hands of underage kids. :(

Upvote 0
At the core of his intentions, I must say, I agree with him... but that's where I as a parent step in and handle the situation myself (no I'm not a parent, but you get what I'm saying). Controlling what your kids get their hands on is your right as a parent, and I think it opens up all kinds of opportunities to be involved with your kids and the types of entertainment they indulge in (not to mention the amount). Basically it's the same thing as censoring music or any other type of media - censoring to the point of non-existence shouldnt be allowed, it should be left to personal responsibility and choice (some discretionary censoring is needed in the case of grotesque images and what not being displayed in the general public obviously). We saw this in the past with Tipper Gore. I mean damn, when you get John Denver on yer arse, you're barking up the wrong tree. All she was able to get was the parental advisory stickers, and I wouldnt imagine Jack will get much more. This isnt anything you dont already know. But my point about the money is, he has a whole slew of opponents in gamers themselves.. however when it comes to big business, I think he'll find he has opponents he never knew he had. Good luck Jack. Ya self-righteous bastid.

Upvote 0
At the core of his intentions, I must say, I agree with him... but that's where I as a parent step in and handle the situation myself (no I'm not a parent, but you get what I'm saying). Controlling what your kids get their hands on is your right as a parent, and I think it opens up all kinds of opportunities to be involved with your kids and the types of entertainment they indulge in (not to mention the amount). Basically it's the same thing as censoring music or any other type of media - censoring to the point of non-existence shouldnt be allowed, it should be left to personal responsibility and choice (some discretionary censoring is needed in the case of grotesque images and what not being displayed in the general public obviously). We saw this in the past with Tipper Gore. I mean damn, when you get John Denver on yer arse, you're barking up the wrong tree. All she was able to get was the parental advisory stickers, and I wouldnt imagine Jack will get much more. This isnt anything you dont already know. But my point about the money is, he has a whole slew of opponents in gamers themselves.. however when it comes to big business, I think he'll find he has opponents he never knew he had. Good luck Jack. Ya self-righteous bastid.

I don't see what the problem is in rating things (games, movies, CDs, etc), such that parents can have some guidlines and assistance in helping to filter the garbage out of their kids lives.

Upvote 0
The problem with Thompson and his ilk is not about rating games, i think most people can agree that litle Timmy should probably be playing Mario instead of Manhunt, and ratings can help in that regard.

No, the problem is thease people want us to belive that vid-games are the root cause of all of society's ills, that playeing GTA3 will make perfectly normal and healthy people into deranged serial killers..

Ohh puuhleeaze! if that where even remotely true i would not be here typing this message right now, i'd be out there strangeling hookers with their own pantyhose :rolleyes:

Its reactionary scapegoating, and this week, its vid-games that are to blame, last week it was horror movies, prior to that it was Rock 'n Roll, next week? who knows.. but they all have one thing in common, there is not one shred of evidence for them beeing a root cause of violent and/or "sick" behaviour in people, quite the opposite infact.

Upvote 0
Well you guys are still assuming that he actually believes what he talks about. He's a lawyer, one that's a perfect example of what's wrong with the American justice system. He's making such a big noise because of 1. Attention and 2. Money. He just sees dollar signs when someone says something is offensive.

I dont think thats the case- not because I know a lot about this particular cat or his motives, but because anyone who strives for whatever cause is tricking himself somehow to believe in it. Belief is one of the most potent forces in life, stronger than greed, I think.

Upvote 0
Yeah, and just recently the gaming companies are trying to push a couple of new business models - Episodic releases and subscription gaming!

..and people are just thick enough to buy this crap! DON'T DO IT! Where does it stop? When we're paying everytime we launch a game? They'll tell you it's good for youuu, but it's just another way for them to squeeze dollars out of youuuu :mad::D

Upvote 0
Never underestimate humanity's greed. Just recently it was found out a toy manufacturer was using lead paint for toys to shave off 10 cents from the production cost. That's right, for every 10 lives they potentially ruined, they saved 1 dollar.

Heavens forbid me of underestimating greed! Got lot of respect for that force after being betrayed by a friend for a few bucks...
I just think that for that kind of endurance that mr. T is exhibiting it takes a more enduring force. A good salesman must believe in his product, at least for the duration of the convincing-the-client process.

Upvote 0