• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Suppression

What Nagels had too say...holds true....when using 'onboard com / TS'

and Nimsky

I do use suppressive fire (firing down a street in the hope to make a few kills for example, or to block a chokepoint), but the guy with the better aim will always win in a firefight. As it should be imo. So in other words, suppressive fire only works to force the enemy to take cover. But as soon as he's behind cover, expect that he will shoot back very accurately.

if half the players that play RO,cant handle a bolt that maybe overstating it i know...ill keep moving if...if i have enough sprint left..and there's good cover ahead...if i Know Nagel's is there i might just take the first bit of cover:)

Upvote 0
When I'm with my bolty, which I am nearly all the time in RO, I never bother with useless suppression fire, I just pop up, hit the target and take cover. If the enemy is behind sandbags or something, then I'll just wait for him to pop up then shoot him, why bother suppressing him when the sooner they pop up the sooner I can shoot them.

Yeah, but why not fire a hip shot while taking cover? 99 of 100 hundred bullets will miss, but the one that hits is worth it.
You get either a "nice shot" or "OMFG HAX!!!" :p

Upvote 0
My Opinion concerning to this issue... I believe that suppress is one of major "tactics" in every war, it's strenght lies not in killing, it should keep your enemies down, so your assault unit can pass more easy. This feature is not used that much in any Multiplayer game, because all people on the Server shoot, if they see somebody, not much are doing that to suppress (n right ALL weapons can suppress). It doesnt matters if u even do not hurt your enemy, HE HAS TO GET FEAR !

Upvote 0
Your team member wouldn't have to endanger themselves if you actually shot the enemy instead of randomly shooting.
And Sigurd, I try to aim the hipshots, especially if I have a bolt. Again, why aim to suppress when you can aim to kill, and suppress if you miss anyway :D

Its not random, its a aimed hipshot while heading for cover. Why not fire 2 bullets instead of 1? :rolleyes:
I use IS behind cover and hipshot / go for cover when I'm exposed.

Upvote 0
the basic rule of thumb in the real world of combat also applies to first person shooters

suppressive fire is a valuable tool IF the rate of fire is contorled correctly and the system is used in the right way

it has two functions

1) to DENY th euse of a feature to the enemy that will affect your advance

2) to suppress an enemy location to ease the approach of your assault force

this is done in many ways

mortars

artillery

and at the local level with small arms as follows

the rifle has a suppressive fire rate of aprox 12 rounds per minute
if you have a fire team doing this together (4 rifles) this will usually be sufficient

the GPMG or veh mounted mg has two functions suppressive fire in close support should be done in bursts of three rounds

or in the fixed long range sf role (sustained fire) of 20 round bursts

any of the above methods is tried and tested.
*!*

Upvote 0
Firing for the purpose of suppression is dangerous though and I rarely do it (unless the target is close range and I have semi or an SMG). It reveals your position, and right away you'll have multiple people aiming at you.

Close range though suppression is effective, though not with a bolt. Trying to do that with a bolt will just result in your target popping out of cover and killing you as soon as you fire cause they know you can't chamber a round fast enough (unless it's a newb who doesn't know the gun sounds yet)

Overall though, being able to sneak up on them and pop them with one shot is better than keeping their heads down and eventually killing them later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Overall though, being able to sneak up on them and pop them with one shot is better than keeping their heads down and eventually killing them later.

You can only do that to noobs or if someone is drawing their attention.
So its not a question of one or the other.
Basic military tactic: fire team suppress, assault group flank and kill...:cool:

@ Kara: Who does the killing in Kaukasus if the allies win over a decent axis team?
Can the axis beat a decent allied team in Stalingrad or Odessa without a deadly MG?
I agree that MG is not that important in all maps....

Upvote 0
Suppression is only good if you are using it so a member of your team can assault the person you are suppressing. Failing that there is no other reason to suppress.

Wrong, if you suppress while steadily move forward you can fool the enemy in staying behind cover that shoot him in his side while he thinks your still in front. Be sure to have inconsistent intervals between firing.

Upvote 0
Basic military tactic: fire team suppress, assault group flank and kill...:cool:

The best form of "suppression" effect is when your team mates is killed next to you - so when using "suppression" fire try to kill the enemy instead.

The second best is bullets going over your shoulder....
My definition of suppressive fire in RO is taking shots that will most likely miss. It doesnt work like in IRL, but can still be useful as distraction while someone flank....

Upvote 0