• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop. Think. Be Thankful.

On the contrary, I want to KILL TWI

On the contrary, I want to KILL TWI

That's right, I want to cause them physical harm because they've damn near ruined my life. I played BF1942, then Forgotten Hope (which is still kinda great), then finally BF2. Eventaully though I grew bored of them, tired of the bunny hoping, the dive/shoot bugs, the relentless rambo nature of everything.

Everything was going well. My complextion improved as I actually stepped out in the sunlight every so often. I went out, saw old friends, actually did some work.

Then one day I was buying a game that was part of a special offer. It was a present for someone (hey, they'd requested it, I'm not that cheap). So I needed to find two other games. I chose something else to go with the present, but couldn't think what to get for a third. Then I saw RO. I'd heard the name before but knew little else. The photos on the back looked cool, I like WWII games, and my new PC should run it well, so I thought why not, I'll give it a quick go, waste a couple of afternoons then that will be that.

How wrong I was. It had everything I had always wanted form a game (except planes, but I'll forgive them that). And so my life fell apart. Once again I look pale, my friends wonder why I'm not in the pub and I really can't be bothered thinking about work.

So that's why I'm not thanking TWI, because I thought I was cured then RO dragged me right back in, and now I'm hooked worse than ever. My neighbours wonder why I scream out loud obscenties at snipers, or shout that I need artillery on the left ridge, no, godammit, the left ridge, and what can I tell them?

RO ruined my life.

Upvote 0
RO's got a tough gig to deal with. It's got to be realistic enough that it goes beyond the usual crosshair/spray 'n' pray gameplay of most WWII shooters (and FPS games in general), but it's also got to be accessible enough that it's not a tactical sim like the old school Rainbow Six games. That means LOTS of nitpicking about "make this more realistic" while trying to keep the game from turning away vast swaths of people who can't stand the learning curve (which is already pretty high for newbies).

But, despite it all, I give much credit to the TWI staff for doing what so many companies have forgotten about -- customer service. It counts. For me, at least. Tell your accountants to put a few extra bucks into the "goodwill" section of your balance sheet, guys. You're definitely building it with the way you handle RO.

Upvote 0
The way things have panned out makes us glad that we took the route we did. Thanks!

You set the example all the so-called expert, professional big dogs can learn from!!

IMHO, TWI are the Professionals and experts! Lord knows, we've gotten thousands of hours of pure enjoyment from RO.

Plus... the security of knowing the support and communications is always there!

Many, many Thanks!

Upvote 0
ImNotRyan summorized it pretty well.

Tripwire has nothing to worry about, nor do you Slyk. EA is a corporation that is all about the money. They've got nothing on Tripwire... well, maybe millions of dollars. What they don't have are fanatics!

All their games are targeted at an audience with zero attention span, how else could they keep selling all those aweful games and questionable expansion packs!

Also, a portion of those are the immature griefers and tk'ers that can't handle the realism in RO.

I have yet to play a linar storybased EA game I didn't get bored of after 2 hours. The only difference is that if I find myself dumb enought to pick up one of their title and find it to be horrible now, I put the CD in the microwave and take a long shower.

Upvote 0
While other developers are far worse at treating their customers to their products worth, I don't see why you compare those 2, as EA already have a reputation of releasing poor products. I think TWI is doing great, and I feel like I have spent little money on an absolutely great game with a lot of support, but in the end, there's still room for improvement, most of us would prefer bugs to be fixed, rather than TWI adding new content and free weekends to promote their product.

Upvote 0
...most of us would prefer bugs to be fixed, rather than TWI adding new content and free weekends to promote their product.
they always correct many bugs with every update release. If you look at it from TWI perspective you have to agree that this is correct way how they have to proceed if they still want to sell their game. Also it is quite discutable what you mean with "most of us"...

edit: celebrate 800th post with me :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are times, where you have played so much RO, that you simply can't stand it any longer, that you lose the fun.
Then, you start playing other games, mostly from other genres.
But in the end, you will find yourself back at the front of RO. From the very beginning, the first few hours, you are hooked and will never be released(probably playing TWIs next game could de-hook you).
I started playing years ago, during the last months of the mod phase. And I am still there.
Thank you, Tripwire, for the only game I know that really never lose it's fascinating aura.

Upvote 0
It depends.

The original Medal of Honor (Allied Assault) was an excellent game, with a good SP campaign and good MP. I prefer the gameplay of RO to it, but it was an excellent game for its time.

The sequels (and, hell, most of EA's games since then) turned to **** with EA's typical poor support and buggy releases.

The Call of Duty series is really for single player, and at that it does pretty well.

RO is the best WW2 shooter out at the moment for multiplayer, partly because of the gameplay, and partly because of TWI's excellent support.

Upvote 0