• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Farcry 2 dev walkthrough

Ok this is a incredible display of technology and truely astounding in many ways with how the character can affect the world in a realistic fashion and the world environment behaves realistically....BUT let's not kid ourselves Devs, please it's embarassing for me to witness. The way the player behaves is absolutely unrealistic let's just get that straight before you continue. Better to say nothing at all than make false claims that don't hold under examination.

Dev quote:
Ok when you get injured...you heal yourself. You need to perform these actions on you. Forget about the medkits, the healthkits. This is not it, I mean...this is real I mean....we wanted to take it to the next step, realism so you have to do it yourself.
So IRL people can get shot but if they have pliers handy they can extract the bullet(s) and make a total recovery instantaneously? Also IRL people can reload unweildy weapons while sprinting around? Also IRL people can "insta switch" weapons in less than 1 second quake style? Enough ridiculous claims please. Let's keep the comedy out of the commentary and just mention what the game does well. With that said I will probably buy it when it comes out.

Upvote 0
I've given mine and I've seen nothing really impressive in that demo when compared to the original Far Cry when it came out during it's time. But like I said before, we'll have to wait and see.

Depends on your expectations, if you are looking for inovation, then i think we all know FC2 is not going to deliver anything ground breaking, starting fires is not ground breaking..

But really, FC2 only needs to do one very simple thing to be a good game for me, it needs to be the cool jungle combat of FC (even if its not actually in the jungle this time), without thouse horrible mutants that could suck up en entire chestrig full of 5.56 mags before dying, or thouse boring "uhh im so scary.. only im not" indoor sections.

If they can only pull that off, FC2 will be worth playing, and modding to even more playable levels too, so thats my hope, if they can just stick to what made FC good, without alll the mutant junk that made it rubbish, it'll be worth playing.

Upvote 0
Cute.

But I could say the same for RO in certain aspects.

Not really. Huge difference.

TWI at least stives for accuracy and realism.

In FC2 and STALKER, realism and accuracy are an afterthought or most often not even considered at all. Or at worst, totally ignored in spite of the facts (i.e. backwards left-handed weapons).

Market demagraphics is such that most game companies tender to the TEEN crowd with small attention spans who do not know the difference and who do not care.

ROOST is marketed mostly at adults who know better and appreciate and even demand accuracy. This forum is evidence to that fact.

Upvote 0

In FC2 and STALKER, realism and accuracy are an afterthought or most often not even considered at all. Or at worst, totally ignored in spite of the facts (i.e. backwards left-handed weapons).

Market demagraphics is such that most game companies tender to the TEEN crowd with small attention spans who do not know the difference and who do not care.

ROOST is marketed mostly at adults who know better and appreciate and even demand accuracy. This forum is evidence to that fact.

'If you dont play realism games, you are just a teen!'

Please grow up.

Upvote 0
That's not what I posted. Grow up and learn to read.

Tripwire didn't market its game to an adult crowd any more than Ubisoft is marketing Farcry 2 to a 'teen' crowd. You just like to step all over anything you don't see as the mecca of realism or somehow completely innovative.

You don't enjoy it? Fine don't play and stay out of the thread. All you are doing is flamebaiting people who have interest in the game.

Upvote 0
Tripwire didn't market its game to an adult crowd any more than Ubisoft is marketing Farcry 2 to a 'teen' crowd. You just like to step all over anything you don't see as the mecca of realism or somehow completely innovative.

You don't enjoy it? Fine don't play and stay out of the thread. All you are doing is flamebaiting people who have interest in the game.

Play? If missquoting people and putting words in thier mouth is your idea of fun and games then you will not last long in this forum my friend.

And nobody other than an Admin is going to tell me to stay out of my thread. Got it!

You have been warned.

OST isn't that accurate, the Nagant receiver is pretty innaccurate.

True, but you guys are missing my piont.

TWI "tries" to conciensously make their weapons as accurate as they can.

Whereas the developers of FC2 and STALKER conciensously went out of their way to NOT make their weapons accurate to appease a younger less discenring crowd.

All three tout "realism" in their advertisements but only TWI actually deserves to use that term IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
LOL, you do know that he's been here longer than you?

LOL, who cares. What's your point??? :rolleyes: Is "being here longer" some kind of accomplishment? :confused:

I have been on God's Green Earth twice as long as him but I don't make a point of touting it like it makes me better than somebody else (although it usually does).

And being on this forum longer does not give you exclusive rights to be an a$$hat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL, who cares. What's your point??? :rolleyes: Is "being here longer" some kind of accomplishment? :confused:

I have probably been on God's Green Earth longer than him. But I don't make a point of touting it like it makes me better than somebody else.

And being on this forum longer does not give you exclusive rights to be an a$$hat.
No, but you telling him that "he won't last long in this forum" when he's been here longer than you just sounded a bit silly, but nvm, back to topic.

Upvote 0
Gonzo, stop being an idiot and expecting realism in every game. The game has the gun modelled wrongly? SO FECKING WHAT. It's not realistic in the first place. Yes, the developer says it will be realistic, but that's just PR talk anyway. They get payed to say that.

Your attitude of "if it's not realistic, it sucks" and nitpicking of "what a stupid game, they modelled the guns wrong!" will get you to miss out on a lot of great games. Just stop expecting every game to be realistic, and understand that less realistic games (ie Far Cry 2) can be fun too.

Open up your mind, and if you really care so much about which part goes where on the guns, just turn off your PC, find a dark corner in your gun closet and fap over your AK-47s.

Anyway, back to Far Cry 2.

Upvote 0
I dont expect realism in every game.

Hence my remark about marketing demographics catering to the kiddies.

That is why I appreciate ROOST so much.

I came here to discuss what is wrong with FC2 and that is what this thread is about. Don't like my opinion? Then move on. Name calling will only get you in trouble here.

No, but you telling him that "he won't last long in this forum" when he's been here longer than you just sounded a bit silly, but nvm, back to topic.

His rude and harrasing behavior is what will get him in trouble here. How long he has been posting here has nothing to do with it and will not save him if he breaks the rules.

Feel free to read the forum rules if you are not familiar with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
GonzoX I think you have made your point. It's clear that Far Cry 2 isn't the game for you, and why that is so. But now you have explained your position, why not leave those who see potential in the game and are keen to play and discuss it to do so.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions as matters like this are subjective. You have made your stance clear and now just seem to be antagonising others, so please move on.

Upvote 0
With all the talks about relism we forgot about their other, much more interesting (and perhaps more feasable), claim regarding the total freedom- to play the missions in the order you see fit, to move around and so on.

I read somewhere (Id link you but its in hebrew) that the drug lords (or whatever) you are taking down will be replaced, like in any RL mob- the friends youll make will "remember" your deeds, though not all could be trusted, and they will team up with you at certain moments of the game.

Seems like they're aiming very high with their liberty aspirations- we'll just have to wait and see if it will deliever or whether it will turn to be another STALKER. (dont start!- fine game, but it didnt live up to all its promises)

Upvote 0