• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rifles Have Been Nerfed Post-Patch

The problem is random, but it's not imaginary. It's easy to say "oh, it's just a knee jerk, standard post-patch reaction" but I've been playing RO since Beta 2 and the only time I've complained about a problem like this was the last time that we had a bug that "didn't exist". If I recall correctly, that one was so imaginary that it didn't exist right up to the point where it suddenly appeared in the "fixes" section of the next patch notes.

I play almost exclusively with bolt rifles and have done for the better part of the last 3 or so years. I'm very used to the way the game feels and plays and when something changes, I notice. Something is happening that just isn't right. It doesn't happen all the time and it's not predictable, but every so often targets are suddenly not going down to shots that would ordinarily tear them apart. I'm not talking long range, I'm talking up close and personal, where a standing, stationary target is as easy as placing the sight and pulling the trigger. Except that what happens is nothing. You can empty an entire clip and not get a result.

If I can capture it on video, I'll do so, but it's not an easy thing to do when there's no way to know what's causing it. Yes, I realise that means it makes it hard for testers too, but so far no tester or dev is even entertaining the possibility that something could be wrong. Nevermind the 6 page thread here with posts from some of the game's veterans or the past experience with "imaginary" bugs. People are more than welcome to put those "missed shots" down to bad aim and assume there is no problem, but that doesn't mean that they're right. It just means that they're such bad shots that they expect to miss and aren't surprised when they apparently "do".

Upvote 0
. People are more than welcome to put those "missed shots" down to bad aim and assume there is no problem, but that doesn't mean that they're right. It just means that they're such bad shots that they expect to miss and aren't surprised when they apparently "do".

Exactly what I'm thinking mate, well put.

There is a bug ppl.......ppl who mainly bolt know when they've missed,we know we're not missing.

It beggars belief though that the devs and some of the crowing hecklers dont seem to even consider this is an issue.

Let me put it in simplistic terms for the naysayers.

Say every five shots I average three hits pre patch,.......these on moving or stationary targets.

Postpatch I find myself ocassionally emptying round after round after round to a similarly placed target to no avail.

The target is lined up and ready to be whacked......but the shot doesn't register at all.......keep firing because my aim may be off.......nada, no hit.

This doesnt happen every time I line up a target, nor is it specific to a map or a server, its a random event ........

Upvote 0
what I could think of is:

With the free week, a lot of servers running beyond their limits again resulting in this kind of behaviour.

played a match yesterday and had people surviving a whole smg clip on a 5m distance. But that was a 14on14 match on a server that cant handle these numbers. As soon as less players were connected, everything goes back to normal.

not serious (not fully at least):

I also know what Im talking about coz Im leet enough to know whenever I hit I hit so I blame the game that I wtf missed that guy though Im sure I hit him, I always hit, yes I really do !

Upvote 0
ppl who mainly bolt know when they've missed,we know we're not missing.
I mainly bolt and I played the patch for the first time this weekend. It took me a few minutes to realize Bloom was killing my frame rates so I turned it off. Then I noticed my trusty MN 91/30 hadn't been sighted in correctly. I almost convinced myself it was hitting a foot high and a foot to the right at about 100 meters. I say almost because the impact point seemed to shift at times. I don't know if it was the map, my ping, or what. My ping should have been good, I usually play servers where my ping is under 100.

Everything seemed to work fine yesterday. Whether the code was changed or not there was definitely something odd going on with my bolt rifle.

Upvote 0
Well i gave it some more time playing again, and still i notice no difference in rifle accuracy.
I still hit everything i aim for, so i dont know what's going on with the rest of you guys.;)

are u an idiot or what????

nobody is talking about accuracy. The issue we are discussing here is bullets not registering hits or no bullets firing at all.

you get it!!!!

Also at least in my case the "bug" is intermittent.

Upvote 0
are u an idiot or what????
Watch your tone Hirsch. The thread title sais "nerfed" and I highly doubt the devs would implement a feature that makes rifle bullets dissapear. I mean, use your brain. If its true it is either a bug or a problem with the server going over its limit. It is definately not a secret nerfing operation and insulting other members won't get you nowhere unless you do it in a funny way.

Upvote 0
The problem is random, but it's not imaginary. It's easy to say "oh, it's just a knee jerk, standard post-patch reaction" but I've been playing RO since Beta 2 and the only time I've complained about a problem like this was the last time that we had a bug that "didn't exist". If I recall correctly, that one was so imaginary that it didn't exist right up to the point where it suddenly appeared in the "fixes" section of the next patch notes.

I play almost exclusively with bolt rifles and have done for the better part of the last 3 or so years. I'm very used to the way the game feels and plays and when something changes, I notice. Something is happening that just isn't right. It doesn't happen all the time and it's not predictable, but every so often targets are suddenly not going down to shots that would ordinarily tear them apart. I'm not talking long range, I'm talking up close and personal, where a standing, stationary target is as easy as placing the sight and pulling the trigger. Except that what happens is nothing. You can empty an entire clip and not get a result.

If I can capture it on video, I'll do so, but it's not an easy thing to do when there's no way to know what's causing it. Yes, I realise that means it makes it hard for testers too, but so far no tester or dev is even entertaining the possibility that something could be wrong. Nevermind the 6 page thread here with posts from some of the game's veterans or the past experience with "imaginary" bugs. People are more than welcome to put those "missed shots" down to bad aim and assume there is no problem, but that doesn't mean that they're right. It just means that they're such bad shots that they expect to miss and aren't surprised when they apparently "do".

Well, I have been playing since 1.0 and I have noticed no difference with the rifles. Are you sure you reconfigured all the RO options?

Upvote 0
Since I havent really had a chance to play an RO since the update (college likes to eat my free time) I really dont have much of an opinion about if the problem is actually occuring or not.

But just because I havent played doesn't mean I can't give some tweaks for you guys to try out and see if they might possibely solve the problem for you.

1.) When RO is updated, some settings like to get reset to their default values, check through ALL your options and make sure they are ALL set the way you want.

2.) Pay good attention to your mouse settings, as even a slight difference to your "mouse smoothing" or "mouse acceleration" can really screw up your game. Also turn "mouse smoothing" and "reduce mouse lag" off, as they usually cause more mouse lag instead of less.

3.) Make sure that "dynamic netspeed" is turned off, as under normal curcimstances it can cause your connection to fluctuate as it tries to compensate for the servers and other players. It is best left off as it usually causes strange gameplay occurances.

4.) Even though this is not directly RO related, defragging your hard drives is probably the most helpful thing you can do for your computer, it only takes a minute and it can mean a difference between a slow game and a great game.

I suggest that those of you who are experiencing these post-patch problems, try some of these and see if they make a difference. Let me know if they do or do not help. :)

This is the attitude that some on this thread needs to emulate.

Upvote 0
I don't play that often, but I will use my gamecam tool to reproduce those missing shots. If others who play very often would like to try it: http://www.planetgamecam.com/

This is a good tool because you can record the last 30 seconds and leave it on all the time. It only builds up a file 30 seconds long so when you encounter the bug: just press the hotkey and it stores the last 30 secs and resumes recording.
This way you can collect all weird moments and you might help TW out with isolating it.

Monk.

Upvote 0
I honestly haven't noticed anything odd. I use bolties 70% of the time these days, and I haven't had any problems with my shots disappearing straight out of the barrel.

I have seen that happen in the past with other weapons, though. I remember one very strange instance where I took a machine-gunner by surprise and put several rounds into him with an MP40 at point blank range. Nothing happened, he just pulled out his sidearm and killed me. That was pre-patch. I saw it as an anomaly. But if that's happening more often since the patch, and the posts here seem to indicate that, it looks to me like something is very wrong.

Upvote 0
i would like to add that i have experinced times when stationary targets were not hit with a bolt rifle post patch.
Fire 3 times at someone who was blatantly AFK - the 4th shot hit. Each time i was aiming in the same place (top torso)
Other times i have fired and see the bullet hit way below where i was aiming.

EG - i was lying down - saw enemy lying down 12 ft infront of me. Fire rifle - i see the bullet hit the ground 2 feet in front of me. The only way i could of hit that was to point my rilfe down and way off target - which i did not.

It doesnt happen all the time for me - but it happens.
Sorry - but it does happen for me.
Bloom is off.

Upvote 0
Ok I've tracked this down as definitely a lag related problem. I had a machine gunner stationary facing away from me at medium close range on Danzig, myself with a bolt, and I could not for the life of me hit this guy.

Then I noticed a guy running past the the background, just as I took a shot, the guy warped forward a few steps and after the warp was complete my shot hit down and to the left in the same instant. This was at 48 ping.

I believe something in the netcode has significantly changed since the patch. Perhaps some bandwidth that was dedicated to lag tolerance has been re purposed for added features. Either that or we are noticing the worldwide internet going unstable. Whatever happened, it made being a rifleman a lot less fun.

Upvote 0