• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bioshock

Anyway...

Having finished BioShock, I'm not as happy with it. The atmosphere, story, game mechanics, etc aren't, in my opinion, on par with System Shock 2. I still had a great time with it and it does generally put the rounds in the target area, but I'm left wanting a redone System Shock even more than before.
I can't say I've been following this game because I haven't but you just summerized my general attitude towards 99% of all FPS PC games nowadays. The problem is PC gaming is now huge business and huge business is NOTORIOUS for milking something to it's absolute final gasp of life before being forced (by public demand/ lack of sales) to change and innovate. I'm sorry to say but I rarely see innovation in todays FPS. All the groundwork was laid in the early nineties and now it's just an excercise in formula execution with the main change being upgraded graphics/physics every release. I'm not saying Bioshock is a bad game (I don't know I haven't tried it). But I'm just not enthusiastic about FPS nowadays anymore. The last FPS I played that actually innovated and had my saying "ok this is something special" was Red Orchestra.......that's it.

I mean I bet Bioshock is likely a hell of alot of fun and very entertaining and awesome etc etc but I want to play something that is genre defining and or takes that genre to the next level on ALL levels and graphics & physics aren't enough for me. Many FPS nowadays are very fun "romps" no doubt I agree but I want more than just a romp. But that's just me which is the minority, so....I'll keep searching and hoping for change and maverick developers out there who are true oldschool and makes games for the game 1st and the money a distant 2nd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The plague of 100% reviews is only a recent thing and clearly demonstrates how far video game reviews have sunk. It wasn't that many years ago where only the best games would make it past the magical 90% mark and to get past 95% it had to be something truly special. Nothing ever got 100% and that's the way it should be. These days though, they'll slap a 100% sticker on anything the publishers "suggest" to them, unless the game's utter **** of course, because even today's video game "journalist" knows that people aren't that dumb. Just close...

Upvote 0
The plague of 100% reviews is only a recent thing and clearly demonstrates how far video game reviews have sunk. It wasn't that many years ago where only the best games would make it past the magical 90% mark and to get past 95% it had to be something truly special. Nothing ever got 100% and that's the way it should be. These days though, they'll slap a 100% sticker on anything the publishers "suggest" to them, unless the game's utter **** of course, because even today's video game "journalist" knows that people aren't that dumb. Just close...
That's true, thought I actually never saw a magazine that gave a game a 100% rating, I only saw some 100% ratings on metacritic.

Upvote 0
The highest rating i ever saw was 98% on Half-Life, and for it's time, i think it probably deserved it. That was before the rectal prolapse of console 'gaming' ruining games.

Imagine what will happen if someone releases a game with the graphics of bioshock but gameplay which we haven't seen, or at least something new, 110%? 312%?
BioShocks graphics were nice but not that uber either imo.

Upvote 0
Imagine what will happen if someone releases a game with the graphics of bioshock but gameplay which we haven't seen, or at least something new, 110%? 312%?
Easy, it'll get a **** review and hate comments. You've almost answered your own question. Anything with new and clever gameplay, innovation or depth will be too hard for the modern "console gamer" generation. They can't handle games unless they hold your hand and do everything for you and if it's not exactly the same as every other game they're already used to then it's too much like hard work to learn something new. We get the same recycled crap over and over because that's all the braindead majority can handle. Why do you think we get people coming here during free trials and suggesting crosshairs, faster movement and unlimited weapons? They just want all games to be the same but with different skins.

Upvote 0
Sigh.

4. Aside from the whole argument about Bioshock, it really is possible to give something that is not "perfect" a 10/10. Someone will always find fault in anything so, if we were to be really **** about it, nothing would ever get a 10/10. That would be wrong.

10/10 is not the same as 100%. I'd give 10/10 to at least 5-6 games I played, but on a 100% scale I would NEVER EVER award 100%. 98%? Probably once in a lifetime. Anything above 94% is kinda sorta in the 10/10 territory when translated to 1-10 scale.

Reviews for Bioshock are blown out of any proportion, rationale or logic. It's kinda funny to watch, once you have your own personal opinion formed. Mass embarassment of game journalism like nothing I've seen before :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Why do I get the feeling I stopped watching that just before there were major ending spoilers revealed to me? A bit of a warning next time. K?

Is this your major spoiler?
zeropunctuation said:
Also if you were offended by the picture of Mother Teresa eating a baby's head then you should also be aware that your mum was making me say even more offensive things while I was ****ing her last night.

Upvote 0
I recently finished it, and thought that it was a pretty nice game. The story was nice for a game - a lot better than in your average action movie anyhow. The world of Rapture was just stunning and every level, or section of the city, was different from the last one. The graphics too were top notch and it ran well on my PC. However, I don't think it was anything revolutionary. Everything in the game has been seen and done many times, although Bioshock could be the first game to successfully implement all the features in a single game. As for things I disliked about it, the first one that comes to mind are controls which were clearly castrated for consoles. The mouse feel was awful, and it lacked the very basic movement controls, like peeking. Then as your character grew stronger as the game went on, the enemies got stronger too. So all the weapon upgrades and stronger plasmids were really in vain.

Anyhow, it was a nice game, but nowhere near to the messiah the game magazines made it out to be. I'd give it maybe 92%.

Upvote 0
Ok this is me posting about a 4 month old game.

I actually uninstalled the game about 1/3rd the way through, I was that disgusted with the linear action and crappy combat. I decided to give the game another chance after the recent and patch.

This really is the patch that "makes the game fun". The mouse movement is much smoother now and the FOV lock improves the visuals massively. I mean it's still an 8/10 game, but I'll be playing through to the ending now.

Upvote 0