• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Early War German Tanks?

sightreader

Aug 29, 2007
OK, I just downloaded the level editor and am browsing through what's available.

Has anyone designed good models of the early war German tanks, such as the Pz I, PzII, or Pz38t? It would be nice to put something up against the likes of the BT7 and T60s!

If not... well... it was worth a shot!

Not german but still tin can tanks. Afaik the Panzer I wasn't used at the Ostfront (in combat?). But the other tanks are something which should be added to the After Hourz To-Do-List ;).

r35_1.jpg

Upvote 0
OK, I just downloaded the level editor and am browsing through what's available.

Has anyone designed good models of the early war German tanks, such as the Pz I, PzII, or Pz38t? It would be nice to put something up against the likes of the BT7 and T60s!

If not... well... it was worth a shot!
Treadhead around here tend to fall into one of two groups. Those who want the late war heavy tanks, and those who want the early light tanks and tankettes.
I live in hope of getting a T-26 with twin MG turrets. :D
If only I had the time and the skill :(

Upvote 0
Treadhead around here tend to fall into one of two groups. Those who want the late war heavy tanks, and those who want the early light tanks and tankettes.
I live in hope of getting a T-26 with twin MG turrets. :D
If only I had the time and the skill :(

if we had more manpower too :X
but you still might want to keep an eye open to future CC update ;)

Upvote 0
Our MinionWorkz team has quite a wish list. We currently have three new tanks and a transport in code work. Then we have at least two new tanks that will be moving to rigging and then code in a couple weeks. After that, it would be possible to mix in some early war stuff again, namely the Russian T-26, Pz-II, and Czech T-38. All depends on time and resources.

Upvote 0
There were 180 of pz I's ready for combat at the start of operation Barbarossa, along with 1518 pz II's. I think it'd be safe to assume some pz I's were used for combat in the beginning of the war. Don't know though

source (interesting site)
http://militera.lib.ru/h/fugate/app1.html
one of the charts on there.

probably used in mop up operations more than direct combat in most areas......i think i remember reading that some of them had the turrets removed and turned into assault guns..........or turrets upgraded

Upvote 0
Yes, they were already outclassed in the beginning of Barbarossa, once they started getting phased out some had turrets removed to become munitionschleppers, others training tanks, and some were used for police operations behind the lines. I think the assault gun that you're thinking of is the Sig 33?

Oh yea, and for early war tanks, we need a T-35. It's got five turrets, how can you go wrong!

Upvote 0
By both German and Romanian forces (although the Romanians called them R-2 and T-38 respectively) afaik. The Germans gave the Pz38(t) to the Romanians in about 1943 when they were hopelessly out of date and basically good for little more than being target practice for the Soviets. This tells you pretty much all you need to know about the relationship between Germany and its biggest ally in the Ostfront by that stage.

vanatori_t38_l.jpg

Romanian mountain troops on a T-38

Think the Bulgarians also had some 35's

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Go check out Carpathian Crosses :)
What's Carpathian Crosses? Is it a level? Or am I missing a joke of some sort?

I don't think we'd need half a zillion early war tanks: just something representative. I think a single PzII model would do the trick, especially considering how much work it is to develop these models. I think the Russian side is already well populated with the BT7 and the T60.

Upvote 0
What's Carpathian Crosses? Is it a level? Or am I missing a joke of some sort?

I don't think we'd need half a zillion early war tanks: just something representative. I think a single PzII model would do the trick, especially considering how much work it is to develop these models. I think the Russian side is already well populated with the BT7 and the T60.

hm, you think a BT7 and T60 represent soviet early war armor well? wow

not that there were more than 3 versions of the T26 in service during the early days of the war (well, i know '35 versions being used in Stalingrad and even twinturret ones), the BT5 along with like 8 different versions of the BT7 where in use. Even if you go to the more heavier tanks, you will find a wide variation of them. KV1, different versions of the T34, T28 only to name a few.

Upvote 0
hm, you think a BT7 and T60 represent soviet early war armor well? wow

Terribly sorry! I didn't mean to offend you. I just meant some tanks that might represent a downgunned 1930's concept of firepower and strategy. It would be interesting to try battles where high fire rate and mobility actually might be useful - the days before high tech armor and penetration took over. These would be the days that envisioned tanks as nothing more than infantry support rather than the king of the battlefield in their own right.

Thus, I'm interested in the species of tank that quickly became extinct by 1942, before the monsters that Germans and Russians produced in abundance and the Japanese never produced at all. A pre-war concept of armored vehicle that envisioned a drastically different battlefield dynamic than what actually occured in WWII. Basically, an almost completely different Red Orchestra game that doesn't require replacing to RO engine... just adding another model or two!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Terribly sorry! I didn't mean to offend you.

no offense taken (and i was pretty drunk when i wrote the above ;) )

actually your points about fast rate of fire and mobility and the change of gameplay that comes with them are what we're experiencing in our tests currently :) Along with some changes to the tank damage system i think that fights with those tincans is a nice change of pace to the current tank battles.

Upvote 0
actually your points about fast rate of fire and mobility and the change of gameplay that comes with them are what we're experiencing in our tests currently :) Along with some changes to the tank damage system i think that fights with those tincans is a nice change of pace to the current tank battles.
Oh... what are you guys developing? Is this a next generation release of Red Orchestra or something? I'm a little confused

i wouldnt call it secret, i only drink in public .
That's ok. I only public in drunk.

Upvote 0