• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Kriegstadt: Der Untergang Berlins

I have the G7, internal mechanics are basically the same. Going to RMA it if I can, because it's a good mouse and served me well.

Anyway,

Will it have the new AT guns in the map once its released ?

Spoke with the proper authorities and they gave me the green light. So yes. :)

Hope the modified mg42 hasn't been messed up by the new patch.

It wasn't, but a few other things were, and I'm sorting it out...

Also I would like to point out that Katyushas are a no-go because I wasn't able to acquire wav files of high enough quality. Sorry. Also experiencing some problems on the modeling front with getting some vehicle statics in game, so not sure if everything will find its way in...

Upvote 0
Played it twice. Looks pretty good.

Just one or two things.

Remember the Carentan scene from HBO's Band of Brothers where the Germans had a small street field artillery piece; how about one of those for the German defense (that really works and doesn't sit there !!) to stop the tanks?? (I've only played Russian side, so if you have it, forget this). I don't know if the Germans still had those for sure.

I don't know all the weapon names and history of the Berlin invasion. That Irish author who wrote The Longest Day and A Bridge To Far wrote a book on the Soviet attack on Berlin; so did Marchal Zhukov (prob mispelled it, sorry). I think the Irish author's book was called The Last Battle.

I had a copy of this once; it had some good Berlin maps but my brother lost it.

Oh, and I liked the sirens; that added a nice touch. I hope you keep them.

One other thing; I know they have some nice public statues in Europe. You know, Kings mounted on horses, Saints, stuff like that (look at St. George's Bridge in Prague).

In RO we just have The Horse.

The Horse Statues in the Warsaw Map and this one sort of remind me of this local Detroit area Hamburger joint:

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/detroitpix/Brays.html

Now, I think the Horse statues works on the Moltke Bridge better than in the Warsaw Map; but I would like to see a real statue that's more aesthetic in some of the Maps sometime.

Oh, and I liked the sirens; that added a nice touch. I hope you keep them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
that anti-tank gun you see in that part of Band of Brothers is a 3.7cm PaK 36, which was unable to penetrate the armour of the early T-34/76 models, let alone that of a late war IS-2. it would be a waste to include such a weak weapon in this map. (not to mention the fact that creating an artillery piece, tank, or even gun for RO isn't a simple 5 minute process.)

Upvote 0
Ok I played it today, don't know if it has been stated before but probably. We stayed 15 min trying to reach the first flag.

Only one way to go to the first flag is not enough, everybody was tryign to smoke, use tanks, but whatever, One MG and 2 faust kept us away. So I couldn't try the rest of the map, look awesome though, great skins and stuff.

But the constant rape on the first flag made me log off. Maybe some fight in the building on the right on the first streets would be great, but everybody packing up in the appartements, you can't do nothing.

Upvote 0
Ok I played it today, don't know if it has been stated before but probably. We stayed 15 min trying to reach the first flag.

Only one way to go to the first flag is not enough, everybody was tryign to smoke, use tanks, but whatever, One MG and 2 faust kept us away. So I couldn't try the rest of the map, look awesome though, great skins and stuff.

But the constant rape on the first flag made me log off. Maybe some fight in the building on the right on the first streets would be great, but everybody packing up in the appartements, you can't do nothing.

15 minutes is nothing. Played this today, was like 50 mintues left, and Soviets were still at the first cap. Lack of teamwork and tanks not giving cover. There was a guy constantly saying that the map sucked and that we should vote another, while I and some other were saying no, it rocks, what we need is a minimum of coordination... Still, no progress *at all*. I with some guys maanged to rusgh the apps once, silencing most defences, but the others didn t follow, and axis reinf secured the building again,(I was even killed by the SU who was pounding HE shells on us...) Till the timer went down to 10 minutes... I then noticed that Tanks would start to advance slower, with cluster of infantry behind them, tanks trying both to suppress the enemy MG fire and provide cover for the infantry to get into the building, inf trying to pick up Panzerknackers tring to take down the tank from the left side of the plaza... We caped it, and went forward. Unfotunately, with 5 minutes left we couldn't make much progress. However, the guy I mentionned had stopped repeating that the map sucked, and asking for a mapchange.

Naturally, we began the second round with the same spirit, and it took us no more than like 5 minutes to cap apps. Each subsequent cap took us about the same ammount of time. Too bad, my ADSL desynched as we were approaching the Alt Moabit, because that was one of my best RO ever. Seeing russian in grey uniforms and brown greatcoats hoping rom cover to cover on both sides of the street, with the suppressive fire of armour MG and HE,
that was so great...

"Ah, quickly we move through the ruins that bow to the ground
The old men and children they send out to face us, they can't slow us down"

Can't thank you enough for making us experience that feeling, EvilHobo. Can't wait for furhter versions of that map.

Upvote 0
Looks and feels good.

My only gripe is that, streets are too flat and lack cover. The destruction on the buildings are devastating while streets look like it's a peace time :) It looks kind of dull. I expect to see many bomb craters, much more destroyed vehicles(civilian and military), debris fallen from the buildings and maybe some dead vegetation like trees. Of course, this is only a Beta1, but it'd nice to see these things in the next version.

Upvote 0
Well I will see about adding some more debris, but the work that I do is based mostly in historical research. When I examined photographs of the battle, the streets were relatively clear, with rubble clustered to the edges around the buildings. So, this is all coming off of research. An unfortunate lack of civilian vehicles kept me from adding more to the streets, and sadly I had to resort to halftracks for the bulk of it (a design decision I am not particularly proud of). When or if civilian vehicles become available, they will be included.

Dead vegetation, however, I can do. My only issue there is that the sidewalks are too thin, in my opinion, but I can try to add the trees in, because upon viewing video footage shot during the battle, trees lined many streets (and also, it seemed, that rubble was piled up away from the doors, as is the civilians moved the rubble to the edges of the streets to allow entrance to the buildings). Again, research. A large amount of trees was previously not included because I didn't want to have to mix them with the street lighting, but I mean I can do it, and have for Beta 2.

I really, really want to get Beta 2 out, but the issue is the PaK43. Until that is working without as intended without a doubt, I will withhold the release. We'll see how it goes I suppose. Beta 2 will also address the first cap meatgrinder, and you should be able to see the changes when it is released. I'm proud to say, however, that I released an experience unlike any other, and I want to keep it that way. :)

Upvote 0
I really, really want to get Beta 2 out, but the issue is the PaK43. Until that is working without as intended without a doubt, I will withhold the release.

What is the 43's issue? Something in code/animations/your modifications??? As I said earlier, the gun is not finalized so if you have issues that you found, please forward them to Teufelhund. He will be working on final versions of code for all the AT guns and we plan to release the big vehicle/gun package as soon as possible (in testing now).

Upvote 0
Played the other day. It was definitely challenging on the Soviet side; sort of similar experience to Sidus above; the first objective was a pretty tough.

Just want to give my experience in playing it: it was challenging and certainly there were moments like this during WWII battles when the defense had a lot going for it. Probably spent around 10-15 minutes taking the first point; again, there were some critics who said the "map sucked" etc.

There was a fair (but I wouldn't say overly organized) attempt at teamwork; part of the confusion is that the killed soldiers, as you probably know, "moonwalk" for a while after they die, which makes it difficult to distinguish the living from the dead in the thick of battle. I think fixing this would go a long way in clearing up some of the confusion.

The Tanks and MGs were firing salvo after salvo of shells and rounds.
Basically, as soon as you rush the courtyard to the immediate right of the first objective, you get killed. The Germans hide in one corner or the other; and you have 1-2 seconds to throw a grenade.

But we must have done something right; there was one breach of the building, but we got pushed back. After more unsuccessful assaults, we did take the building.

What about smoke grenades for both sides?? That would help the Russians; maybe also the Germans.

I think, in my humble opinion, you have several choices: I think you could keep it as it is, because there are RO Players who do enjoy a Realism map that is challenging to play; the people who want a more arcade type of experience can play the other more arcade type maps, and I acknowledge some of those arcade type maps are enjoyable to play.

You could add smoke, which would definitely would help the Soviet assaulting forces and maybe the Germans; I don't know historically if the Germans still had smoke grenades in the final days of the Reich, or if they are just overused in the RO game.

Or, you can alter the area of the first objective; this would make it more enjoyable for those whose patience runs thin and give it more popular appeal.

Once the first objective was taken, things were a little easier; the Germans were able to stop us for some minutes, at that huge square you have to cross, then at the corner building before the bridge; the Soviet side got to the bridge and a little down it, but we didn't capture it, and lost.

I've played it one other time, and the Soviets won.

I guess I lean most to the smoke scenario, but it is your map and whatever choice you make as maker of the map will be for the best. Just thought I would add my two cents.

Upvote 0