• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Great new tank map!

I was really looking forward to having a offical tank map that was nice and big. then sadly disapointed when i found out how much its like black day july. i love large open maps but hate all the rolling hills. I cant stand the haul down invincable turret stuff. it just takes away from realism so much. when the gun was really one of the weakest points on a tank but in the game its indestructable. the rolling hills on maps like this and black day july just bring out the worst in tanking. I was really hoping this would be something nice and open with large things for cover that would hide the whole tank. like orel has. or even a more urban area with buildings and stuff to hide around.

Upvote 0
I think the new tank map totally sucks.

It feels so contrived. It's nothing like a real historical tank battlefield. Two giant rolling bowls split by twisty hills full of spawn trails? Yeah that sure feels natural.

There was not one moment during gameplay where I thought, yeah this is just like the Ukraine!

Of all the armor maps, this one is the worst. You feel like you're in a giant arena. And from yesterday's gameplay, the most prevalent tactic was to edge up one of the sides - boooooooooooooooooring!!!

Where's the towns, the forests, the ANYTHING?

Man what a disappointment.

Upvote 0

It feels so contrived. It's nothing like a real historical tank battlefield. Two giant rolling bowls split by twisty hills full of spawn trails? Yeah that sure feels natural.

There was not one moment during gameplay where I thought, yeah this is just like the Ukraine!

Of all the armor maps, this one is the worst. You feel like you're in a giant arena. And from yesterday's gameplay, the most prevalent tactic was to edge up one of the sides - boooooooooooooooooring!!!

spoken like a true infantryman..........:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I loved the long rolling hills. It suits the german tanks camouflage best. And dont judge it on yesterday gameplay, it was the maps first day!

Hadnt noticed a new explosion effect, but noone used Artillery, and I wasnt close enough to the tanks I was shooting at to watch them die properly:)

I loved it, another great free update. Bravo tripwire.

Upvote 0
This map will be an "aquired taste" for most. There are things I would have liked different (more hill area not mined) but no one can say this map is like any other, not even BDJ (best map ever).

A few points:

-massive ranges & speed make team tanking vital & team co-op critical. Also... you may have to actualy reload your tank @ an ammo depot.

-the vast cap zones can make for a very long or very short game.

-there is plenty of close combat in the vallys & nooks, Its fun to ambush strays & clash with tank groups of 4 or more on each side when the corner is turned.

-I think this is a great template map too, looks like there is opportunity for variants & real heavy hitters (hint hint).

my 2c!

Upvote 0
.....Two giant rolling bowls split by twisty hills full of spawn trails? ...........

When i gave it a quick once over and opened up the overhead map, I thought it looked just like a map for total annihilation, the RTS from 8 or so years back ,for those who remember it.
progress.gif

Upvote 0
Couple of things. The main tactic may have been to bunch up along the hills, but that was only for the uber noobs made of fail. Use the hills to get to the flanks unnoticed, then estimate range, then kill them in 1-2 shots. I took a Stug and did this all day yesterday, racking up loads of kills.

Also, one thing about the cap zones, they absolutely must be made smaller. At the moment you don't even have to get out of the spawn hills to be in the cap at certain points. This is going to lead to massive cluster****ing in a corner for a quick and cheap cap. You should actually have to drive a little ways out in the open to get to the cap. That way when a team takes an obj it is because they actually own the area, and not because they could camp guys in a corner.

I would also have to agree with reducing the amount of mine fields by a little bit. I understand for spawns, but some areas in the middle hills should definitely be accessible.

Upvote 0

You're talking about Debrecen ;)

Upvote 0
This maps seems to be the first where StuG can hold it's own. Fast ROF and small profile help a lot and the enemy has difficulties hitting. Especially if you change location frequently so that they can't get their sights adjusted so easily. I'd say in this map StuG is better than the Tiger since most of the time people aren't hitting anyway so armor doesn't matter and Tiger has painfully slow ROF while 88 doesn't penetrate angled T-34 any better than 75.

Upvote 0
"We think this new map will convert many people to tanking." O rly? The new tank map is one big dissapointment. As Blackbellany says, the way the two fields are conviently linked by trails seems a bit off, especially as we can't drive up the hills. Also, what are the random boxes doing hanging around? I don't think this map will cause much excitement.

Upvote 0

I agree. It does feel like an Arena style map, I guess that's the only way to keep driving times short, have a balanced map and some nice objectives, if you get me.

I also dislike the rolling hills, it seems 99% of the time you're shooting at peeking turrets.

It's not a bad map though, the terrain could do with some adjustment. So could the tanks now, I'm sick of seeing so many damn shells rebound off the damn turret now. It's almost as if that area of the tank is indestructible. A good fasting moving flanking T-34 column will always win, the Tigers really need to be on the ball. I guess that's where the realism comes into play.

I was also dissapointed as to how there's so little long range engagement. Most of it is between 0-400m. Because of the layout

Upvote 0
I too, sad to say, really dislike this map. It does seem very contrived. I feel it was a valiant attempt by tripwire to expand on the armor aspect of the game, and I really appreciate the effort...I just feel in this case it did not work out well.
The map may be larger in total area than Orel, but IMO Orel seems larger.

Upvote 0
roosig0to.jpg

Do I have to say anything else ??? ;)

I remember someone posting a link to photos of the area in the Ukraine, but I can't find it at the moment.

I think the central hills are there for two reasons. First, cut down the driving time that was the biggest dislike of Orel.
Second, To make the map playable on the average PC. And there was one release of Orel that really, really suffered from low FPS. If you played it, you'll remember it clearly. I can't of any game using this graphics engine that is giving use just large viewing areas.

P.S. Sry for pinching the sig.

Upvote 0
I believe a map of this size will always have a 'contrived' appearence to a great extent. In fact it's not the size par se but the view distance thats the problem.

There have been a few discussions on making maps like this- and concencious seems to be areas require artificial 'sectioning off', and also you cant afford large numbers of trees, or indeed other static meshes in areas of open view.
BSP blocks work better but you still need detailing around them or they look poor.
So really it's appearence is to a great extent enevitable- the devs said in the anouncement that it was a type of map that hadn't been attempted before- i actually believe this kinda thing has been looked at by quite a few mappers- but frustration sets in when you cant even get close to your vision due to technical limitations.

Upvote 0