• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

Anyone know what is happening here?

This black mesh only shows up while in game.
ghostmesh1az5.jpg

In dynamic light mode nothing is there except a shadow.
ghostmesh2ky4.jpg

In wire frame mode there is absolutely nothing there.
ghostmesh3ph0.jpg

Upvote 0
I was working on my map last night for the first time in about a week and something strange is happening with the editor. When I place a smesh or a vehicle factory at a particular location on the terrain, instead of showing up right where I wanted to place it, the objects actually get placed at the origin point (0,0,0) of the map far away from the intended point.

Does anybody know which editor setting I messed up that might be causing this "problem"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My camera in the 2D ports centers on meshes whenever I select them. How do I get it to stop doing this? It is very frustrating because I have to constantly readjust the camera every 2 seconds.

I think this has to do with camera snap or something in the editor I think it is a camera on the top bar of the window you are looking at. I think you select it on and off.

@shurek: did you check for a setting in Unrealed....ini or maybe it is redOrchestra.ini that has the Unreal ed settings I would make a copy of one of those and then pull it out and allow the editor to recreate it. Then use the info from your old one you saved to get your settings back only the ones you need though. I dont have an example INI with me today to look at so just guessing.

Upvote 0
Hey Smokey,

To export the stock TW-made textures into PhotoShop (I assume this is what you're using, correct me if I'm wrong) you will need to download this plug-in from Nvidia which allows .dds texture files to be read by PS.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

All you have to do to export the texture is find it in the texture browser, right click on it and go to 'export to file'. Once exported, open up that file in PhotoShop and edit away. You won't have the benefit of the original UV map but most models are fairly simple to grasp. Just be warned though, some textures were not made to be winterized. An example would be a mesh that uses the same section of the texture for the roof and the undercarriage. If you put snow on the roof there will also be snow clinging to the underside of the vehicle.

After you finish editing the texture (or if you want to see how things look in-game) open up the RO Editor and import the modified texture with a different name so you don't overwrite the original. To see how it looks simply open up a map that contains the static mesh (or you can place the mesh in a test map) and go to Display > Skins and click the Add button. Then, with your texture selected from the texture browser, click Use. Your modified texture should now be displayed instead of the original texture on the static mesh.

If that's unclear than I apologize, hope it helps get the ball rolling for you. :)

Upvote 0
you have to match the color of your fog to the color of the fogring

To expand on this in case you're still a little lost...

1. Momentarily change your top view into Dynamic Light mode (Alt + 5) and position your camera close to the base of your fog ring (in the skybox).

2. Select your main ZoneInfo actor.

Under the ZoneLight section find 'Distance Fog Color', click on the 'Pick' button.

Your fog colour should now be a perfect match with your fog ring in the main perspective viewport (you can change your top view back now). :)

Upvote 0