• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What should be my next upgrade?

jibyn

Jan 28, 2006
Victoria
Hey all, just wondering if I could get a little advice on what would be the best bet for my next upgrade?

My specs are

AMD 64 X2 3800+
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT
2gb ram
Asus a8n5x motherboard

so, i'm debating whether i want to upgrade to a geforce 8800 since i'd really like to play on my 1080p 40" lcd. or maybe upgrade my cpu to one of the new intel quad cores? or should i wait until the next gen gpu's? is there anything upcoming worth waiting for?

or maybe i should just buy an xbox elite to game at 1080p

Hey all, just wondering if I could get a little advice on what would be the best bet for my next upgrade?

My specs are

AMD 64 X2 3800+
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT
2gb ram
Asus a8n5x motherboard

so, i'm debating whether i want to upgrade to a geforce 8800 since i'd really like to play on my 1080p 40" lcd. or maybe upgrade my cpu to one of the new intel quad cores? or should i wait until the next gen gpu's? is there anything upcoming worth waiting for?

or maybe i should just buy an xbox elite to game at 1080p

If you were to go to a quad-core Intel, you'll have to get a whole new motherboard as well.

There's a couple different ways you could go. The video card, as mentioned. Get some more RAM. Get a new processor - www.newegg.com has a good deal on Opteron 185's right now, and they'll work with your motherboard.

Your next upgrade, if you get anything better than the opteron, will require you to get all new RAM, motherboard, and processor, all at once.

Upvote 0
damn, i didn't know my mother board was out of date.

so if i upgrade my gpu to, say a 2900xt. will my system run current titles at 1080p? or will my amd 3800 bog down?

that opteron 185 looks pretty good, but my funds are kind of low right now. and $250 for a cpu + $500 for a gpu on old technology? do you guys think that's really worth it?

Upvote 0
Yes, the 3800 will definitely bog you down. I'd suggest getting at least a 5600+ if you don't feel like buying a completely new mobo. Also, having anything more than 2gb of RAM on non 64 bit operating system actually decreases your performance. I'd definitely go with a graphics card and a new processor, because even if you get a great new card, your processor will provide a huge bottleneck.

Upvote 0
WAIT, STOP DONT UPGRADE YET :eek:

Nvidia has confirmed a release date for the G92 in November. The Nvidia 9800 will be twice as powerful as the 8800 and will range in price from 400-500 dollars.

If you can wait just a little longer, you'll get a PC that'll be twice as powerful for about the same price.

Also, intel has a quad core out thats only 300 dollars. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Upvote 0
WAIT, STOP DONT UPGRADE YET :eek:

Nvidia has confirmed a release date for the G92 in November. The Nvidia 9800 will be twice as powerful as the 8800 and will range in price from 400-500 dollars.

If you can wait just a little longer, you'll get a PC that'll be twice as powerful for about the same price.

Also, intel has a quad core out thats only 300 dollars. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

man....thanks for informing me of that. this screws up my entire build plans. i think i might hold out for the new nvidia cards to come out now. which means i'll definately want to upgrade my processor, which pretty much means i'm gonna have to build an entire new system.

Oh, that sounds abnormal! Oh, wait, that's all the time with building a computer.

soooo true. man this pc stuff can get complicated

i just hope this new g92 stuff gets released in november like they actually say

Just change the processor for the time being.
That will give a new kick-start to your GPU.

Anyhow, you already got a pretty decent machine.

ya, true say. i just wanted to play on my sweet *** new tv.

oh well. i guess i have to wait

thanks for all the info guys

Upvote 0
There's no ending of "waiting". In 2008 both Nvidia and ATI will bring new GPU's and Intel will switch to 45nm and AMD will uncover it's new gen CPU. By this time, DDR3 will be becoming a standart slowly and PCI-E 2.0 will be used on mainboards.

Then, when you start thinking of "it's time", there will be news of DDR4 coming out by the end of the year and Intel will bring their new-gen CPU's. Not to mention new GPU's from ATI and Nvidia. As ATI has a new policy of "A new high-end GPU by every 6 months". . . and so and so on :)

IMO build a computer now, it'll hold you off for a nice 2-3 years. Then you'll think about upgrading again.

Upvote 0
Yea, but we are catching the end of the 8800 "next-gen" era. I think waiting for the G92 (unless new info comes in saying itll be delayed till spring/summer 08) will put him ahead of the curve for that much longer. That and the system itself should cost about the same either way.

As for the other stuff, they constantly be pushing forward, which your right, making the High-end PC deal lucrative. But alot of that stuff isnt fully supported yet (unlike a graphics card or high end ram, like DDR 500). 45nm probably wont come out for a while, the new AMD procs are to counter the Intel quads, DDR3 doesnt have a very high gain in performance (especially for the price), and PCI-E still doesnt use all its bandwidth I believe.

So realisticly looking at it, a new GPU coming out would make a huge difference in performance IF its a new generation (ati x1800 to x1900 had like 10-20% gains, which wasnt that great), which jumping from 8800 to 9800 should be. Multi-core processors is the way to go, and many games are starting to attempt multi-threading for support (Ive heard that Crysis will readily handle quad-core, giving better performance than dual or single, same goes for Alan Wake). Getting a Mobo that is compatible with everything is advisable :D. 2 gigs of ram is about standard now. A large amount of memory. And enough cooling to keep everything cool.

But I guess really, GPU is going to be the only thing worth upgrading periodically once youve got a good system. CPU's and everything else have a huge amount of more life than GPU's do, and usually, most next gen stuff only push's the hardware on that side.

Upvote 0
Might as well use this topic.

Today there was a big lighting storm here in Finland and it fried up my old computer. I was going to get a new one anyway at some point so I guess now is the time. I havent followed the latest tech but after browsing different forums I end up with this set up:

Abit IP35
Q6600 2.4GHZ Go
BFG 8800 GTS 320mb
Twin2x2048-6400 DDR2(2x1GB)
500Gb Samsung ti166

Sonata III Silent ATX(500W)
NH-U12F

Are these compatible? Any bad choises?

Upvote 0
Well, i got my new pc just last week or so, and it runs every game that is out atm on fullest graphics.
Company of Heroes, Advanced Warfighter 2, Armed Assault, Gothic 3, Bioshock :)

I can foresee a lot of games being made with the Unreal 3.0 engine, since Unreal engines have allways been great, are very scaleable and modable etc.
So i'm fine for the next couple of years.

specs:
8800 gtx with 768 mb ram
dual core e6600
p5w deluxe motherboard (even comes with a remote, lol :p)
2 gig's of Ram

Upvote 0
Might as well use this topic.

Today there was a big lighting storm here in Finland and it fried up my old computer. I was going to get a new one anyway at some point so I guess now is the time. I havent followed the latest tech but after browsing different forums I end up with this set up:

Abit IP35
Q6600 2.4GHZ Go
BFG 8800 GTS 320mb
Twin2x2048-6400 DDR2(2x1GB)
500Gb Samsung ti166

Sonata III Silent ATX(500W)
NH-U12F

Are these compatible? Any bad choises?

You might want to consider the IP35 Pro instead of the vanilla. From what i have read it suffers from something called the dual boot issue. Meaning from cold the computer POSTs and shortly after it reboots again. So it adds about 14 seconds total to your overall boot time. I do not know if they have sorted this out in a BIOS update or not. Also 1T memory timing option is not available in the BIOS if that bothers you.

Other than that the system looks really nice.

Upvote 0