• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation WIP: Stug III F/8 - late model

Technically, we worked through the hit detection with Ramm. It works, but not for prone animations. Don't use those. The current code for the BT7 supports hit detection. If you have questions or want some general suggestions on do-don't type stuff with the code, PM Teufelhund. We were talking about this thread today and he is more than happy to consult with you through his lessons learned. There are certainly some things you do not want to do. Making use of the existing code would be the best route, depends on your comfort level with it. We have riders on several stock tanks, if you recall the April video we put out, we had the T34/76 run by with four or so guys on the back. It's possible, and not difficult once you know what/where/how but there are technical implications to consider and Ramm more or less gave us a "let's wait and see" as far as CPU impacts etc. There is no question that riders add to load so you have to assume that being efficient with your code and model is vital. Just ask, we'll do what we can to help you out.

By the way, clock is ticking toward the AT gun package release. I assume you still want the pak40 and maybe the 251/22 for your late-war map. Hopefully within two weeks. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks Slyk!!! I will definitely get in touch with Teufelhund about some of the issues I've encountered. I'm going on vacation for about a week and will have to put this project aside for the time being though.

As I mentioned, it's only been about one week since I first started picking apart the vehicle and cannon pawn codes, and then jumped into coding this vehicle, so no doubt there are tons of mistakes and inefficiencies in what I've done. I'm actually more familiar with the infantry weapon code than the vehicles. Still I have a lot to learn, I know. And I do remember your video...it actually inspired me to start working on the StuG (along with a History Channel docu on the run up to Stalingrad).

And last, but not least...yes, bring on the new guns...Altdamm is waiting!:D

Upvote 0
Sure thang...

It was more or less finished anyway except for the following items which have been taken care of now:

1) Added a custom tank skin by Welt, specifically designed for the Voronezh map
2) Fixed (I think) the rider hit detection issues, thanks to the AHz guys
3) Went back and created a panzer grau and a dunkel gelb version just in case

The final package will be released when I put out the first Beta for Voronezh at the end of this month.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I added a fourth rider. This is enough to call this thing "Final", I believe. If you think about it, at max capacity, you're looking at potentially 7 people riding into a cap zone all at once (3 tankers and 4 infantry). That is, if you all make it there alive!:p

ps. White men can jump!

4guys.jpg

Upvote 0
Great Success!

Btw, did you add hatch animations for the loader/gunner? or is it 'permamently' open?

Unfortunately, it's a perma-open...and kinda faked at that.

Also, I should state that in the interest of realism/historical accuracy, I'm remounting the gun without the HT shield. As all the experts know, the MG34 didn't have a permanent mount on the StuG until Winter of '42-43, when the 'G' version was introduced. Before that , a "loose" MG34 with bipod was carried on board to take care of those pesky anti-tank guys:eek: The work shouldn't take me too long. Will post pics later.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I noticed that too. I didn't mess with the driver or commander's configurations, so not to point fingers, but I think that's an error from the stock StuG vehicle.

As for additional improvements or work, the only thing I could think to add would be a muzzle flash and ejecting shells to the MG. That would require additional time on the coding that I don't know if I have right now. Maybe before final release I can get to it, but my progress on my map has been WAY slower than anticipated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0