• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's so hard about using a bolt?

for long range? only sniper can be more lethal because it is easier to aim for well hidden targets... for middle range same good as any other gun (accuracy is in good balance vs. fire rate of SMGs) ... and for close combat it just becomes challenge... because in most cases if you miss you are dead. Thats imo the only real reason why rifle is challenging.

Upvote 0
Sniper is better at range (only the bolt action sniper though), but bolts strenght is being able to have a broader vision. Which makes it easier to see around your surrounding, and only 1 class really having an advantage of range aint that much of a problem. In medium combat the bolt action user is already at an advantage.

I personally think that the strenght of a bolts vs semi auto is mainly medium range, but people leaning and hiding behind objects etc with just a few bits showing itself.

Upvote 0
I agree that most of the complaining is just because some folks load slowly and never get a choice.

But you know what, I join games in-progress and get stuck with bolt, sometimes I don't want it... then every time I die I check the class screen. Very rarely do I have to remain as a bolter for more than a few minutes if I don't want to, just check it whenever someone leaves the game.

Upvote 0
..... It is like comparing Quake2's Chaingun (Semi\SMG) vs Railgun (bolt). Really, bolt action rifle is like a railgun. It kills instantly (well, not everytime) and works in the house and the garden. Besides, you get mini-sized katana with a bolt and with some intellegence and cunningess added, you are bound to win generally.

Now, try to master SMG :p

I 100% sure about that comparison tbh cos the smg or semis will drop you comparitivly quicker than the chain gun - wont they? Thou granted the Ro recoil is obviously more severe.
I always thought the semi had roughly the same stopping power as the bolts, and weren't nerfed like the semis in COD for example. It's gotta be the best weapon really, as long as its used as if it were a bolt most of the time.
Regards SMGs, after a while you subconciously compensate their recoil to such an extent that even from the hip you can fill a chest with lead at quite a fair range.
In fact unless i'm prone, still and covering i can often find it easier to hipshoot the smgs- and i'm no expert. I've seen some really good smg players out there.

That said, the bolt action rifle is the heart and soul of this game.

Upvote 0
There's nothing hard about using a bolt in and of itself. The hard part is going up against rapid fire weapons in close combat.

But think about the implications of that. Most official maps have a good bit of close combat, and assaulting virtually any position in the game will require you to get into close combat with someone.

Thus, it becomes "harder" to use the bolt on most stock maps. Not because of hitting targets at range, but because of the difficulty in (a) surviving in close, and (b) hitting in close.

But that's the point. That's why assault rifles, semi-autos, and SMGs were invented. SMGs especially. They are specifically designed for close quarters. So, the smart rifleman will only enter close combat when absolutely necessary, and will play it smart in close combat as well. IE: don't engage the enemy, just get into position and stay under cover to cap/hold the position. Charging a marginally competent SMG user with a bolt is a 75% chance of suicide in my experience.

That said, I think Jank's got it right when he explains the reasoning behind players' frustration. Not having a choice gets old in some cases, and with more SMGs in the game now, it makes it that much more frustrating for players. My advice: take the discarded/dropped SMGs, or play to your strengths.

Upvote 0
there is more satisfaction in going into the CC on danzig with a bolt and coming out with 7 kills 20 seconds later then doing the same and spraying the place up with a spamgun. Half the spamgunners I come across as a bolt cant even control their ritalin fueled Counterstrike impulses long enough to melee, riflemen in close are helpless it is more fun to bash them.

Plus it is more fun hitting that guy sprinting from cover to cover with a single aimed shot, then spraying and praying and finally hitting him in the leg with your 10th shot and finally fate steps in and your 24th and 29th finally kill him.

Upvote 0
...then spraying and praying and finally hitting him in the leg with your 10th shot and finally fate steps in and your 24th and 29th finally kill him.
I bumped into a guy this weekend that didn't seem to understand how to let go of a trigger. I actually stopped and waited without firing a couple times to see if he would run out of ammo before hitting me. He did manage to kill me with his MP40 but it must have been one of his last bullets. It seemed like he shot at me for almost two seconds in one continuous burst. He did that every time I bumped into him. It was more fun to watch than fight against.:D

Upvote 0
If you teamplay good you wont have to go close combat with your rifle;)
and whoever said that the bolt action rifle is hard to use is a n00b;)
well i guess ppl are used to CS, BF2 and wanna go spam with their little OMH (One Might Hit).

im a sprayer when i use the SMG cos i never hit anything anyway so i just get mad and spray:p in about 3-4 mags somtimes i hit a person... and it's like woohoo then i go to a bar and drink RO and get backs home drunk and even worse with the SMG.. and now sucky with the rifle 2.. and dude.. if anyone gets what im writing about they get a hug.. wohoo

Upvote 0
I'm curious. What makes the rifleman stand out as a challenge to the player?

I'm sure everybody agrees that a bolt is probably the better weapon for ranges >50m or so. But when it comes down to close quarters, you pretty much just get one shot, and if you don't hit the enemy with that shot then you're dead. Of course we all get lucky every once in a while but most of the time a bolt is going to lose in a close quarters fight. Its your bolt's 10 rounds per minute fighting the SMG'ers 600 rounds per minute.

Upvote 0
I'm sure everybody agrees that a bolt is probably the better weapon for ranges >50m or so. But when it comes down to close quarters, you pretty much just get one shot, and if you don't hit the enemy with that shot then you're dead. Of course we all get lucky every once in a while but most of the time a bolt is going to lose in a close quarters fight. Its your bolt's 10 rounds per minute fighting the SMG'ers 600 rounds per minute.

Nicely put.

Upvote 0

I dont agree, sure if you talk about people running in the open or whatever smgs pretty early become good weapon. But the truth is alot of the time people are behind a sandbag with just a tip of the helmet and 1 eye and a weapon poking out. That is the power of the rifle taking out them.

Bolts might be slow but they are powerfull. Who cares that you can fire 600 rounds a minute or 10 rounds a minute if you only need 1 round to kill. Just learn to hit enemies and it becomes a scary weapon at any range.

And if you know how to handle it its really one of the most powerfull weapons ingame.

Upvote 0
I agree completely with the OP. The one skill that takes a long time to develop is hip shooting with the bolt, but I've been doing quite well with that as of lately. Obviously, if you've got that down, you can pwn even SMGs in close quarters.

The ONLY disadvantage the bolt has is in CQB where, if you're facing multiple opponents, you're generally screwed (though I get lucky sometimes), so when I'm playing bolt (which is a lot), I try to stick to the outside.

That said, I play as a very agressive rifleman, but not by going all rambo with it (like an SMG player might). I just check the area I'm going to advance into, clear it of any hunkered down enemy soldiers (this is quite easy to do and doesn't take me much more than 1-2 shots per enemy soldier as I've gotten very good at long range shots with the bolt thanks to its impeccable accuracy, a feat that can't be replicated by using a semi-auto).

Being able to hit moving targets at medium-long ranges takes a little while to learn too, but once you get it down you can hit the target at LEAST 90% of the time. It's just a matter of learning how much to lead the target at different distances and speeds, whether he's sprinting or walking (and hopefully he won't be zig-zagging which makes it a lot harder)

The bolt action rifle is studly. It hardly sways at all (compared to the semi-auto which does significantly, which means it takes longer to line up the sites), and is deadly accurate. Especially on maps like Kyuokovo, I rack up ridiculous amounts of kills, all while moving up and getting in the cap zones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main drawback to using a bolt weapon is rate of fire. Plus, you have to remember to chamber another round immediately after firing. I prefer to use it, myself. It has nice range and damage. I find it easier to use at long range than the sniper varient. I think it's because of a false sense of security. I see my target right there and leading the target, trajectory, etc. goes out the window. When I used to play call of duty, I always took the Garand, and when I played Vietcong, I'd use the M-14. I know this are sem-auto, but I preferred them hands down to the Tommy gun or the M-16.

Upvote 0
Basically,a bolt is harder to master then the SMGs.
But when you do manage to master it,it becomes a weapon you pick even if you connect first and all the other classes count 0.

And,I do agree that,as any weapon,using SMGs takes skill but a lot of stock maps in RO(Danzig anyone?) are set up in a way that fire ranges are very close so it eliminates the skill challenge of getting in optimum range.That's why I enjoy playing maps like Berezina or Tractorworks.

Sure some people will say that a bolt is excellent even at medium and close range but the main problem at those ranges is,as already stated,they have 10-71 bullets and you have 1.So,supposing you take down 1 guy at that range he'll probably have his buddies around him who will,if they know what they are doing,turn you into mince-meat by the team you re-bolt.

The SMG is the most forgiving weapon in RO and it's a weapon I started with and people usually do start with.

Apologies if the post is a bit clustered. :)

Upvote 0
hmm kapulA i find the SMGs the hardest weapons to use.. with all the recoil.. the rifle is the easiest.. sure it gets kinda.. stressed out when you go closecombat.. but often shooting one will keep the others back enough for you to reload.. and if not.. you are pretty screwed.. but lets hope you are a teamplayer so your teammates will be right behind your and kill the others if you fail:)
but if you can manage the SMG.. it really pwns me with my slow rifle;)
and if you have a rifle you have to be smart about were you stand and were you go:)

Upvote 0
Basically,a bolt is harder to master then the SMGs.

I'd disagree with that really. Sure it takes some skill to start with a bolt, but once you have the correct attitude and have the accuracy sorted you're laughing. Even the best smg'er will constantly struggle to master the recoil and accuracy. It's a far slower process mastering the accuracy of an smg, over a rifle.

I usually play smg because I find it more fun, but I mix up my classes a lot. And I often find myself dominating even urban maps with a bolt action. It is essentially a railgun as said above. Once you get the accuracy to a consistantly high level, you are the pinnacle of RO prowess really. Aside from a sniper, a skilled riflemen is certainly the person I fear most.

And someone said above how rifles rarely get in the top score? This is only because many riflemen aren't present in the cap zone. If you were to break it down to kills and actual impact on the battlefield, you'd find riflemen often dominating.

Upvote 0