• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Suppression

Demonic Spoon

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2006
It's surprising the amount of people that think that only MGs can suppress. As a rifleman, you have 9 clips of ammo. As a semi auto riflemen, it's 5. As a PPSHer, it's 3. It's more than you need.

Why not shoot off a few rounds? Not every shot you take has to be an aimed one at a specific target. Are there enemies in X bunker? Take a few shots at X bunker. Hear a bunch of gunfire at Y location, but don't see any enemies? Shoot a couple rounds off.

While of course the suppression effect in RO is not the same as in real life, people STILL don't want to die. When a bullet goes near someone, they generally get behind cover for a bit because they don't want the next bullet to hit them. Use those bullets. On offense, it's excellent for keeping the defender's head down while you advance. On defense, it keeps the offense from advancing too quickly.

While of course the suppression effect in RO is not the same as in real life, people STILL don't want to die. When a bullet goes near someone, they generally get behind cover for a bit because they don't want the next bullet to hit them. Use those bullets. On offense, it's excellent for keeping the defender's head down while you advance. On defense, it keeps the offense from advancing too quickly.
I agree completely.

When you're on the receiving end, you instinctively take cover first and ask questions later. :p

Upvote 0
I've played RO for long enough to conclude that suppressive fire does not work in this game. Sure, if someone is shooting at you with a PPsh you take cover. But as soon as you're behind solid cover it's rather easy to pop a bullet between his eyes. Succeeding in engaging machine-gunners and SMGs head-on is commonplace in RO.

I do use suppressive fire (firing down a street in the hope to make a few kills for example, or to block a chokepoint), but the guy with the better aim will always win in a firefight. As it should be imo. So in other words, suppressive fire only works to force the enemy to take cover. But as soon as he's behind cover, expect that he will shoot back very accurately.

Upvote 0
The only time I actually think about leaning through a window when there's an enemy outside is when I see that he pops off a shot as soon as I expose a bit of myself.That usually deters me from leaning at the same window again but if shots come in a random pattern then I'll just wait and lean out when he fires the shot.

Upvote 0
Motion blur off doesn't mean supression is off. I keep it off for performance reason, it still blinks when you get shot at, but instead of some weird psychedelic effect where the screen is reflected in a corner, it darkens the screen. More effective too.

Supressive fire works very well in this game. Very well. If you ever tried it in CoD you know what I mean, people don't charge into you're fire when you're supressing them. Also, ever been a mile from you're spawn and then you see two tanks and they see you, and you dive behind a sand hill barely allowing you to keep your head down and MG bullets zip over your head and you can't move and inch without risking death? True supression.

Upvote 0
Actually I think fire suppression does work as intended in this game - the major problem is that like in real life one or two men can't really provide enough fire to effectively suppress an enemy and like in real life to suppress an enemy you need at least an entire squad, tank or a MG/ on a tripod laying down a huge enough volume of fire to effectively be able to do so and/or gain fire superiourity.
Unless one is playing as a part of a well trained and coordinated squad/clan suppression will not be very effective untill a more enhanced( more powerfull than real life fire suppression) is introduced and do we really want that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Think of it not as true suppressive fire, but rather as DISTRACTING fire. You're drawing someone's attention away from what they were primarily focused on for a split second. Maybe it slows them down, maybe it makes them stop to shoot at you, maybe it makes them pause for the split second needed for your sniper to take them out. Who knows. But at the very least, it keeps them from doing what they were doing, which probably wasn't to your benefit anyway.

Only time I'd advise against "suppressive fire" like this is (a) if you're low on ammo, or (b) if you don't want to give away your position. Otherwise it's worth a shot (pun intended). :)

Upvote 0
Motion blur off doesn't mean supression is off. I keep it off for performance reason, it still blinks when you get shot at, but instead of some weird psychedelic effect where the screen is reflected in a corner, it darkens the screen. More effective too.

Supressive fire works very well in this game. Very well. If you ever tried it in CoD you know what I mean, people don't charge into you're fire when you're supressing them. Also, ever been a mile from you're spawn and then you see two tanks and they see you, and you dive behind a sand hill barely allowing you to keep your head down and MG bullets zip over your head and you can't move and inch without risking death? True supression.

The motion blur is alot more effective.

Upvote 0
Solo speaks the truth.
Its very fun when you actually kill someone across the map with those BS shots. :D

I had that very thing happen to me the other day. I saw the enemy pop smoke in a hallway on Zhitomir, so I just started popping off rounds into the smoke and actually managed to take someone out. I was just trying to make them think twice about charging and let the smoke die down so we could see again. :)

Upvote 0
I sometimes pump rounds randomly in bushes beside roads and other open areas. Chances are, someone is lying there waiting for the fire to lighten before sprinting across the open area. Occaisonaly I get lucky and score a few kills.

I do the same thing in confined space like tunnels, spray a little when turning a corner, or throw a grenade throw a window before storming through the door.

Upvote 0
When you're a MG, it works the other way around. If you don't kill your target, instead of suppressing him, you draw his and everybody else attention to yourself. And then you need to take cover esle somebody will put a headshot in your stupid pot.
So basically you managed to suppress only yourself, marvelous.

Upvote 0