• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Location of Konigsplatz - I'm very confused...

Trendkill

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006
Dorset, UK
Today the Konigsplatz is in Munich, but in 1945 it was in Berlin? All the information about the Battle of Berlin I've read (and games I've played :p) mentions the Soviet forces crossing of the Konigsplatz during the assault on the Reichstag. Yet the only information of the location of Konigsplatz is Munich...

I'm not native to Germany and my historical and geographical knowledge is limited so forgive me if I sound stupid to some of you who may know the answer, I'm just very confused.

Lt Kettch, no offense of course, but as my history proffesor told me, NEVER USE WIKIPEDIA AS A REFERENCE!!!!!!!

a monkey can go write the articles.......while having alot of information i have found many articles are incomplete or innaccurate.........just a FYI for all

Edit: i did just find a good battle map with all the buildings; The Atlas of Eastern Front Battles - Will Fowler, 2002 by Bookspan;

I think TW did a good job trying to get it as close as possible to what it might have accurately looked like. The rubbled building infront of the Reichstag is thhe Kroll Opera.........the area inbetween that is the Konigs-Platz with the Siegessaule further down the Charlottenburg Chausse.........

So, basically, good job, im glad i found this map in my book, if i had my scanner working i would post the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the book lacks alot of indepth information, i wouldnt recommend it, i thought it would have more information when i got it than it did, it only mentions the standard commentary about defensive belts, germans fiercely resisting the soviets(reasons that go unmentioned). This does come mentioned from several books, but do not give many details of specific places except the Reichstag.

One book was suggested for furhter reading that might help:
Le Tissier, T The Battle of Berlin 1945; London 1988

I currently only have a small fraction of my WW2 history books, which could change within a month or two when im able to retrieve them.

Upvote 0
A lot of the data was taken from some aerial recon photos, plus a British intelligence map drawn up in about May 1945.

You'll find that the Konigsplatz map is about as close to a one-for-one representation as you are going to get, debates about the location of the Sieges foundations notwithstanding (Ingmar and I disagree on it some - I think those bits were actually there at the time!).

The locations of the 'Stag, the Moltke and so on are all quite correct. The Spree is just off the map (circling to the north - although we could have squeezed it in jut north of the 'Stag). The Tiergarten is off the map to the south (or what remained of it after the bombing and shelling).

Upvote 0
Lt Kettch, no offense of course, but as my history proffesor told me, NEVER USE WIKIPEDIA AS A REFERENCE!!!!!!!

They can, and you're right, but false information written by "monkeys" generally doesn't stay up for very long since most of the site is open for debate and interpretation. Most individuals who go out of their way to write on Wikipedia are doing it for the love of history, not because they have nothing better to do.

And I've heard my history professor say that before as well. Honestly, and this is just my opinion, him being an **** retentive bastard really lead me to believe that he was just bitter about Wikipedia. I've come across a few history professors before in my life. A few of them were pretty darn cool, and they're always fascinating to talk to, but a lot are also aloof in their own world. A lot of them seem to think that if you're not grinding away hours inside a library, you're not getting the right information. The truth is, history books can be just as inaccurate as the internet, but at least Wikipedia can be dynamically corrected. Published works stay in circulation for however many years; never to be changed or corrected until they're too dusty and ragged to sit on the shelves anymore.

I'm not saying Wikipedia is a 100% reliable source, but I snicker when I hear history professors denounce it. If I was a history professor and something came out that could filter the right information in seconds what it took me hours upon hours to come up with in a library, then ya, I'd be pretty bitter too.

Upvote 0
the moltke also looks different, and the spree is missing and the buildings at the moltke shouldnt be there, there should be the "Tiergarten", but who cares? :D

I'm sorry, but you seem to be missing the right sense of scale. The Moltke Brucke is 'located' a cityblock beyond the pile of rubble on the street where the russian tanks spawn, and the Spree river runs in half a circle around the back of those buildings (virtually, we took the geometry out to keep the map optimized). The Tiergarten is exactly where it is supposed to be, the treeline on the one side of the map. We even placed german guns on the locations where they stood at the time :) Also the 4 facility buildings in front of the Reichstag are on the right locations.

Except for the detail on buildings, and the Siegesaule foundation 'story', the map is pretty much close to what it was at the end of the war.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but you seem to be missing the right sense of scale. The Moltke Brucke is 'located' a cityblock beyond the pile of rubble on the street where the russian tanks spawn, and the Spree river runs in half a circle around the back of those buildings (virtually, we took the geometry out to keep the map optimized). The Tiergarten is exactly where it is supposed to be, the treeline on the one side of the map. We even placed german guns on the locations where they stood at the time :) Also the 4 facility buildings in front of the Reichstag are on the right locations.

Except for the detail on buildings, and the Siegesaule foundation 'story', the map is pretty much close to what it was at the end of the war.

i just wondered because i visited berlin a few weeks ago and i compared it with some maps; it looks different, especially the tiergarten seems to be too small and the spree is not more than a few hundert meters away.

but anyway, k

Upvote 0