• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Project Reality out tomorow!

Ive got this weired problem with bf2, having voip enabled creates a **** load of problems connecting to servers for me. I load up fine but when it comes to picking a kit and spawn i get connection problems and crash to the menu. I normally get on after a second try but when the map changes the same thing happens. Ive asked around but nobody seems to be able to suggest any fixes, was just wondering if you guys could shed any light on the problem or how i fix it.

Upvote 0
Ive got this weired problem with bf2, having voip enabled creates a **** load of problems connecting to servers for me. I load up fine but when it comes to picking a kit and spawn i get connection problems and crash to the menu. I normally get on after a second try but when the map changes the same thing happens. Ive asked around but nobody seems to be able to suggest any fixes, was just wondering if you guys could shed any light on the problem or how i fix it.

Do you have EAX enabled? My friend had problems with that and after unchecking it, everything ran fine.

Upvote 0
First off BF2 was first announced and released about a good 2 years before Vista was even out. Second We have noobs who sign onto the BF2 forums and ask for Vista support to be added and the devs have told them many times it's not possable to simply add support for a new operating system in a file as small as a game patch. IE they would have to rewrite half the game code, and graphics software it uses just to make it compatable.

Therd BF2142 is the same way and so is RO. It's not the devs fault your trying to be on the cutting edge of PC software. Thats what happens when you jump the gun and buy something that is not yet fully supported by the PC community.

IE Nforce/ATI drivers for Vista are still in Beta, and will be for another year or two, also not that many people are makeing the switch to the new operating system. As if that was not enough most PC run companies have stated they will never buy Vista as it has too much digital rights crap on it for them to run their home made software. IE the support software that most PC run companies use to run their servers, and let their admins control things in the company.

How do I know this? My Dad works as a Server Admin for a company called Smiths Medical. They make medical pumps, and have THE best portable Insaulan Pump you can buy. They are one of the many companies that have stated that they will not switch to Vista.

Agian more issues with being on the cutting edge of PC tech is that Games are only just now starting to take full advantage of duel core CPUs. With this in mind PC techs have said the new quad core CPUs should be ready by the end of this year. Meaning that soon you will have tons of monster PCs that will have all this extra power that won't be used for another 4 years. But by then you will have 8 core CPUs. So the major problem here is that Game developers, and Software developers are not keeping up with PC hardware. Your soon going to see people who say my games run slow, or lag all the time because their PC is too fast for the games that they can buy.

It is vary hard to write code for Multi threaded GPUs. Most of the time they have one GPU doing 4 things, and the others tasked with different jobs on one CPU. This makes it easyer yes, but it often means your only useing half the power that your PC can pump into it's software. So if your PC say has 2 quad core CPUs your other 4 cores are going to be sitting there twitling their thumbs waiting. Thus your PC will actuly run games, or software slower than a system that only has one duel core CPU. You can see where I'm going here right?

Upvote 0
I don't understand why did post a comment with that attitude Gunwing. It's like you've just been personally attacked with my mention of "Vista" :) I just said it doesn't work with Vista.

BF2 and 2142 works just fine. Almost better than XP, even if they don't support it. It's something in PR causing the problems. As PR devs don't care about support, I'm ok with it. I can live without PR just fine.

BUT, as the year progress, more and more people will have upgraded and this problem will occur frequently. Then, they'll either have to change the game engine or find a good solution for it.

Upvote 0
Hahaha, yeah, the teamwork is the best part of this game... when it's working right, anyway. PR really forces the "work together or LOSE horribly" thing.

I got in an argument with some of those fanboys one night...

Me: These rifles are horribly weak. A burst in the chest from an A4 is gonna put someone down.

Them: Nuh-uh! 5.56 is too weak! 5.56 sukcs!

Me: Let me guess, you'd not think twice about trusting your life to a .45?

Them: A .45 is a stopper! 5.56 isn't!

Me: Um... Go check out the differences in rifle wounds vs pistol wounds sometime, would you? Rifles>pistols, noobs. High velocity bullets tend to shred stuff, man.

Them: Nuh-uh! 5.56 is too weak! 5.56 sukcs!

I forgot to add: the beltfeds ROCK! Finally, the SAW and similar weapons are something to FEAR. Ditto with the grenade launchers. You should be VERY afraid of someone with a 203 who knows what he's doing. I racked up a crapload of kills on Mao valley with one. Nothing's better for clearing jungle than 30mm or 40mm HE. :D

For the record, weapon damage values are perfect. 2 G3 shots will kill any target, 1 to an unarmoured, 2 m16 shots will put a guy down to like 15% health, but due to bf2s **** hit detection there are lots of issues. if you go in to a server and test it out you wil see.

Upvote 0
For the record, weapon damage values are perfect. 2 G3 shots will kill any target, 1 to an unarmoured, 2 m16 shots will put a guy down to like 15% health, but due to bf2s **** hit detection there are lots of issues. if you go in to a server and test it out you wil see.

I gotta agree with you there. I've been using the Rifleman kit exclusively to learn to use that rifle but it just pales in comparison to the PLA and MEC counterparts (which btw, are now scoped). Heck, even a slight damage adjustment would make the M16 a bit less underwhelming.

Upvote 0