• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's the best German beer for summertime?

Gamburd

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
What's the best German beer that you enjoy drinking during the summer? I'd really be interested in opinions from Germany, but if you consider yourself an expert, by all means, give me your opinion.

You can recommend several beers, but what is the best??

In the United States, Beck's, St. Pauli Girl, Lowenbrau, and Warsteiner are easily available.

Are those beers popular in Germany??

Dunkel beer is better in the winter in my opinion, so stay with the light colored beer; I'll put up a thread for winter beer in the late fall.

In the U.S., I would say most people drink Budweiser or Corona (from Mexico); Sam Adams and Rolling Rock are also good.

Best German beer is a Dutch beer.

phtulsmall.jpg

Upvote 0
During summer I'd definitely go for Augustiner Edelstoff. Has a slightly sweet and generally rich taste to it. Don't know if it is available over the pond though.

augustineredelstofflgyy8.jpg

If you prefer a clean taste with light body you should try Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell. This is one of the most refreshing beers I know.

hackerpschorrnd5.jpg

Oh, and since I'm living in the world capital of beer I consider myself an expert, so no further opinions needed. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses; keep them coming.

There is a store in Ann Arbor, MI that might sell some of these, and one other store about 14 miles from me.

Now, I had a few questions about Octoberfest in Germany.

Is Octoberfest only celebrated in Munich?? Or is it celebrated throughout all of the Bavarian state?

Or all throughout Germany?? Are there little Octoberfest celebrations in Berlin, Hamburg, Dresden, and Cologne??

Is it mainly just beer drinking and a big party? Or, are there amusement rides,
beer tasting contests, and other events??

What about some of the beers I listed at the top in my initial question? Those are probably the main German beers available in the United States at most grocery stores.

Would anyone in Germany want to drink those, or are those just "Big Label Name" commercial beers that are marketed outside Germany??

I've also drunk Spaten Optitmator, Franziskaner hefe-Weisse, and Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen Amber (all from Munich) in the U.S.; it's been a long time though.

If I can remember, the Spaten Optitmator seemed a little spicy; the Franziskaner was o.k. but I wasn't too impressed ( I know the Spaten was dunkel); I liked the Oktoberfest Marzen which was on the light tasting side.

I know that Paulaner is one of the larger German breweries. So, do you think they make a good German beer?? Or is Paulaner just a giant corporation and "Big Label" that markets their beer to the U.S. and other foreign countries?? In other words, it really is not good German beer.

Upvote 0
Just my personal opinion:

Becks = crap

Warsteiner = Bitburger = Krombacher = biggest brands in Germany, nothing special, but ok.

St. Pauli Girl hmm kinda funny to see a bavarian chick on a beer with the name of the famous red light district in Hamburg. That is like a texan girl on a canadian beer bottle. I have never seen that beer here in Germany.

The bavarian beers aren't big here in my area, because most of the areas in Germany prefer their own beers (except for the Weizen, the good stuff is from Bavaria imho).

I think "beer" is like "wine". To many different styles, it really depends on what you like (Pils(ener), K

Upvote 0