• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steering Wheel support

i hope i posted this in the right place :p:D i just got a steering wheel today and i be very happy if they can support this in the game as the tiger tanks have a steering wheel and i like to use the peddles to turn the tracks :D or move forward or back ;)

Have you tried yet? RO supports joystick so I think it should work (let me know if it does because I've always wanted to buy a steering wheel too for RO)

There is an option you might have to change where you treat the forward and reverse as a throttle rather than a gas pedal which everyone leaves on by default because it doesn't mean you have to hold down the keyboard to drive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you tried yet? RO supports joystick so I think it should word (let me know if it does because I've always wanted to buy a steering wheel too for RO)

There is an option you might have to change where you treat the forward and reverse as a throttle rather than a gas pedal which everyone leaves on by default because it doesn't mean you have to hold down the keyboard to drive.
yes but then you have no control to stop fast if i take my foot off the pedal the tank will stop then my hands are free:p i am sure i used a joystick to test one time, but i could not stop the tank fast when i wanted:eek: also in this tiger 1 picture you can see the pedals http://www.tiger-tank.com/secure/journal42.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dual joystick?
I assume you want to steer tanks with it. For that we would need a track system first, that allows you to accelerate the tracks independantly from each-other. Like that old Rockstar game had. Something with "war" in the name.

If you don't want to steer tanks with it but you are talking about a gamepad with two sticks, like the xbox controller, it is already possible to use it.

Of course Tripwire also has the choice of releasing a huge RO-gamepad ala Steel Batallion.:D

Upvote 0
yes but then you have no control to stop fast if i take my foot off the pedal the tank will stop then my hands are free:p i am sure i used a joystick to test one time, but i could not stop the tank fast when i wanted:eek: also in this tiger 1 picture you can see the pedals http://www.tiger-tank.com/secure/journal42.htm

you can remove the incremental vehicle trottle in the menu. If you stop then you instantly stop ;)

Upvote 0
you can use your steeringwheel and your foot pedals but you cant indivually control gas or braking of seperate tracks so it will be exactly like a car or whatever you set it as.

With the steeringwheel you steer (or brake indivual tracks depends on how you want to name it)
With the gas pedal you give gas (to both tracks)
With the brake pedal you brake (both tracks)

Everything should work since the old joypad code etc is still inside. I tried a gamepad for vehicles for a while and it worked, so i dont see why a steering wheel and gas pedals wouldnt work).

But if you want individual track gas/brake then indeed something new would be needed, it would be a feature, but not of high priority in my eyes.

Upvote 0
you can use your steeringwheel and your foot pedals but you cant indivually control gas or braking of seperate tracks so it will be exactly like a car or whatever you set it as.

With the steeringwheel you steer (or brake indivual tracks depends on how you want to name it)
With the gas pedal you give gas (to both tracks)
With the brake pedal you brake (both tracks)

Everything should work since the old joypad code etc is still inside. I tried a gamepad for vehicles for a while and it worked, so i dont see why a steering wheel and gas pedals wouldnt work).

But if you want individual track gas/brake then indeed something new would be needed, it would be a feature, but not of high priority in my eyes.
yes well you could just use the pedals to go back and forward also i have 2 buttons on each side of my steering wheel so i can use them to go left and right :p also i did try my steering wheel and it wont work

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can configure te program to pretend that buttons or axis on your controller do something else. So you could assign your x-axis, which should be left/right on the wheel to pretend they are mouse x-axis.
The program is for gamepads, so you can control the mouse cursor with your control-stick. As you control the mouse cursor directly, you can use the gamepad in any game that uses a mouse cursor (read: every modern shooter, strategy game, etc.).
You can also assign gamepad buttons to pretend they were keyboard buttons, so you can set your gamepad's "x" to you your keyboards "r" so you can reload your weapon with the x-button on your gamepad in games that normally don't support gamepads.

In this case though, the program won't help you, because the left-right steering of a tank is controlled with keyboard buttons, not axis. That means, that as soon as you turn your wheel far enough so it exits the dead-zone, it counts as a button press. You can steer fluidly then.

However character movement in UT2004 and RO allows the use of axis although its not officially supported. For that you have to edit the RedOrchestra.ini file as I posted it in the linked thread.
It worked fine with my gamepad but I can't remember if it also allowed fluid turing in he tanks. You have to ry that but I guess it should work.

Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, and its not my program. I'm neither the writer, nor the owner of that thing. I just stumbled over it some time ago and it was useful for me so I posted it here. As I said though, it won't help in this case.

Upvote 0
You can configure te program to pretend that buttons or axis on your controller do something else. So you could assign your x-axis, which should be left/right on the wheel to pretend they are mouse x-axis.
The program is for gamepads, so you can control the mouse cursor with your control-stick. As you control the mouse cursor directly, you can use the gamepad in any game that uses a mouse cursor (read: every modern shooter, strategy game, etc.).
You can also assign gamepad buttons to pretend they were keyboard buttons, so you can set your gamepad's "x" to you your keyboards "r" so you can reload your weapon with the x-button on your gamepad in games that normally don't support gamepads.

In this case though, the program won't help you, because the left-right steering of a tank is controlled with keyboard buttons, not axis. That means, that as soon as you turn your wheel far enough so it exits the dead-zone, it counts as a button press. You can steer fluidly then.

However character movement in UT2004 and RO allows the use of axis although its not officially supported. For that you have to edit the RedOrchestra.ini file as I posted it in the linked thread.
It worked fine with my gamepad but I can't remember if it also allowed fluid turing in he tanks. You have to ry that but I guess it should work.

Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, and its not my program. I'm neither the writer, nor the owner of that thing. I just stumbled over it some time ago and it was useful for me so I posted it here. As I said though, it won't help in this case.
ok thanks http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/member.php?u=227 for your kind help ;):) maybe the guys who made RO can make this steering wheel work as it will be good for clown cars and jeeps and other [SIZE=-1]Vechiles when they make it into the game :D[/SIZE]

Upvote 0