• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Dubrava Beta 1

Divinehammer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Sunny, Obamalot
Dubrava Beta 1
Special Thanks to:
Shurek big thanks for helping with optimization and especially the mortar system and coding. Took a load off of me getting this map finished.
Lruce Bee thanks for the statics
DingBat for the satchel Spawner
Afterhourz crew for the AT gun
Drecks and Vivid thanks for a few borrowed structures
DrGuppy and UncleDrax for helping me with some issues
Thanks to all other forum posters that have answered my incessant questions and helping me to solve issues in the creation of this map.

History and Setting:
This Maps name I pulled from just looking around in Google earth and a suggestion I believe from dogbadger. I think it is actually a real town in the Kursk Oblast but I don’t even know if a railroad goes through it. The battle though was designed to just be plausible and is not meant to be modeled after any actual event. If you do have historical credence for this battle please send it to me.
This is a small unit action involving a German mechanized assault on a Russian Rail depot the purpose being to capture the fuel depot to keep the Nazi treads turning. The Rail depot doubles as a Russian artillery post and is therefore supported with a small infantry contingent. German infantry must assault over mostly open ground and overwhelm the dug in Russians after which they will assault and capture the assets of the depot itself.
This engagement is combined arms transitioning into Infantry only combat where SMGs and Rifles will have an equal role in combat.

How the map was designed to be played:
First and foremost my intent was to try and encourage teamwork. As the Germans the team must form up early. Drivers of the halftracks should wait and try to fill their tracks as much as possible. If you don’t like riding it is a long run I assure you. The first assault is your best bet you will be covered by an artillery smoke barrage on your approach you must overwhelm the trench with much force to grab a foothold and the first objective. Halftrack MGs should wait till the last moments to cover the assault and not telegraph their position, friendly fire will be a strong possibility so be careful.
The Russians meanwhile must hunker down and repel the assault. They will have one AT gun at their disposal. When hope is lost the Russians may want to fall back into the tunnels and do a fighting retreat. After the first obj is captured Russian Reinforcements will spawn inside the depot where they should be setting up their defenses to repel the Germans when they clear the tunnels. After clearing the tunnels Satchels will be provided to the Germans to gain access to the Train Depot. The battle rages on.
The battle after this point is various kinds of combat. There are some good firing positions but they do not allow you to necessarily keep or take objectives. Towards the end of the battle the Russians must decide which objective they would like to defend and must juggle the amounts of reinforcements accordingly to adequately defend each objective. We will see how this plays out for Beta1 it may end in a stalemate or teeter-totter effect.
Class Load outs:
Squad leaders have been given less ammo to get those that know how to run this class into the spot and discourage those just wanting an SMG. SMGs for SL may be done away with or reduced to 1 clip we will see what is wanted. I think that the consensus has been to leave SL to 3smg clips and 2 pistol clips.

Reinforcements have been set 450 Germans 350 Russians we will see how that goes.
Time is 35 minutes.

Issues that may need to be changed:
I may have an issue with a texture package which would be Lruce_Docks_T it is also at the download location. Most people should have this package already. Noobs may not so if the map does not work for you in practice mode this is probably the culprit, get it and put it in the textures folder. Servers take note that this may be an issue if you are not already passing this file out. I am working on eliminating the need for this extra package.
This is a list of items that I feel may be a problem to the map and may need to be changed.
Time limit of the battle for beta1 it will be long not sure how the map will play out. 35 minutes.
Classes and soldier load outs some are experimental and the quantities may not be rounded out enough.
Russian trench defenses may not be adequate enough. (It is not intended for the Russians to hold the trench the entire game)
Russians should not be able to escape the first Trench it was designed for them be kept inside of it.
Escaping outside of the walls of the train depot should not be possible please report this abuse.

As always feedback is appreciated please be constructive with your comments.

PSA Announcement:
Mapping takes an investment of a lot of free time please be supportive of mappers who have given their time to bring you more battlegrounds. Even if a map is crappy the next one they make may be a classic there is a lot of learning and technique behind the scenes to building maps.

Link to see some screenshots:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17194&highlight=dubrava
LINK FOR DOWNLOAD:
http://hosted.filefront.com/DHammer/
Alternate Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BDQ12CZT

Fixes in for B2
-fixed puddles will need to test though
-C3PO is tricky because there is this problem either vehicles are factories or they are damaged so when you just want them for props there is no forseeable way to get them in so that will just have to stay for now.
-I moved the capzone over.

Last edited:
Darnit, not the first poster! :)

You are VERY welcome; it was my pleasure getting to review this map pre-beta, so to speak. Can't wait to see it online.

And if anyone has feedback/criticism about the mortars, please don't harass Divinehammer; PM me directly, I will work with him to get revised coding for his next beta, if necessary.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the look of this map. I had a run through it earlier today - it wasn't on a full server though, so can't tell yet how it actually plays.... I really like some of those custom buildings. There must have been a great deal of work put into them. The plume of the mortar shell looks atomic as well, which I thought was quite good. All I had to do to fire the mortar was stand against it without pressing USE. I assume this was as intended?

And without a doubt this is going to be sniper heaven, but at least there is lots of cover! If you are going to reduce the ammo for the squad leader so much, may I suggest a svt instead of the smg. I use smoke galore as a squad leader, but I don't like the idea of only having a couple of clips of ammo... Something for you to consider anyway, as you are already aware.

I noticed one glitch in a doorway. At the little house, location E6, as allied soldier I could only get through the door if I crawled. Invisible blockage there somewhere. Also all of the tanks indicate that you could go inside them if you were the right class (tank crewman) Is there any way of removing that text?

Nice work from what I have seen so far. Good job. Should be a good infantry battle

Upvote 0
I like the look of this map. I had a run through it earlier today - it wasn't on a full server though, so can't tell yet how it actually plays.... I really like some of those custom buildings. There must have been a great deal of work put into them. The plume of the mortar shell looks atomic as well, which I thought was quite good. All I had to do to fire the mortar was stand against it without pressing USE. I assume this was as intended?

And without a doubt this is going to be sniper heaven, but at least there is lots of cover! If you are going to reduce the ammo for the squad leader so much, may I suggest a svt instead of the smg. I use smoke galore as a squad leader, but I don't like the idea of only having a couple of clips of ammo... Something for you to consider anyway, as you are already aware.

I noticed one glitch in a doorway. At the little house, location E6, as allied soldier I could only get through the door if I crawled. Invisible blockage there somewhere. Also all of the tanks indicate that you could go inside them if you were the right class (tank crewman) Is there any way of removing that text?

Nice work from what I have seen so far. Good job. Should be a good infantry battle

That is how the mortars are supposed to work. I had thought about the SVT but the Russians are short on SMGs as it is so didnt want to make it worse we will see though. I will check on the house good catch not sure what would cause that. As for the tanks as it was unrealistic that the Russians would be hauling broken tanks to the front this was my only option. I tried to find a way to get the words to not popup. I also looked for new statics but none to be found. Now if TWI wanted to take their Smeshes that the tankfactories use and put them out into a new package (for use as props) I won't complain. Just a thought though.

Upvote 0
Good Job, Map looks okay

I didnt play this map on a full Server, but i think there will be one big problem
Is there really only one Door to the other side of the wall, after capping the trench system? i hope u know what i mean, u have to blow up the one door, to get in the left capzone, is this the onliest door? When yes, then ther Germans will have a hard time there, the germans need at least 2 ways to get on the other side

Sorry for bad english, but i hope u understand me:)

Upvote 0
Good Job, Map looks okay

I didnt play this map on a full Server, but i think there will be one big problem
Is there really only one Door to the other side of the wall, after capping the trench system? i hope u know what i mean, u have to blow up the one door, to get in the left capzone, is this the onliest door? When yes, then ther Germans will have a hard time there, the germans need at least 2 ways to get on the other side

Sorry for bad english, but i hope u understand me:)

Nope there are 4 openings once you get the satchels you can blow either end of the wall, the door in the basement , or the gate.

Upvote 0
Got to play it for a few minutes. This map looks good. Love that trenchpart.

At some areas you could drop certain stuff. As an example the Lyes Krovy
ruin near the fuel depot looks really out of place. It ain't look like a ruin
caused by war, more like an old time thing. So it would be teared down
to make room for that rail/industrial area.
Same goes for some other stuff. The propaganda gate as an example.
It just stands there.

It needs some work on the lightning at some inside areas like the fuel
depot and another big house where it was to dark to have a normal gameplay.

But overall it's an original map with new goodlooking buildings and once
again i love that trench rush. Hope you take the feedback as constructive.

Drecks

Upvote 0
Yeah the Ruin I just threw in because I need hard cover and I was under the impression that in that part of th work if it was old you just incorporated it into the new and built around or on so that was my thinking anyways in Beta 2 I think the Fuel Depot will totally be redesigned and a gun battle will be possible inside. I am drawing up the dimensions right now hope to get some time on it tonight.
As for the Propganda gate would you like it to do dance? (all in good fun) Seriously though what am I missing about the gate? I know what you mean in the Barracks house I will look into that maybe if I just raise the ambient lighting in that zone and a light in the stairwell. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
I only had the chance to run around in practice mode so far. It is a very beautiful map.

A few anomolies I saw where these:

The puddle here will follow you out if you run across it. It also has a cubemap that conflicts with the surroundings.

There was an ancestor of R2D2 hanging out here. (I lightened it up because original screen was dark).

On this one, if someone hugs the edge too closely, they are outside of the capzone.

Looking forward to playing it on a server.

Upvote 0
You mean C3-P0. R2 was the short guy.

I love the scope and depth of the map. Played on 2 servers today. The flow is nice and the more players in it the better. Shrek's mortar system is a nice compliment to the map. Lots of nice custom brush work.

It took some new players a while to find the satchel. It is in a dark corner on the ground. Beta 2 might have it inside a smaller crate sitting on a table to be easily seen.

I agree with the ruins. Why build up a sandbag wall inside an unstable building when there are lots of other "structurally sound" places to build it and fight. I wouldn't be inside of it unless it was the only structure or cover around.

Noticed a couple small bsp holes (mostly between boards). Nothing that would affect gameplay, but it might help performance if fixed.

Need just a little collision adjusting on a few spots. HTs get stuck on the tree barrier on the far left of the trenches. It isn't very close to them. There is a stuck spot for infantry on the side of the base of stairs inside the train yard.

I saw a couple games go both ways but players are still figuring out the map. It is big and I would give it a couple weeks for everyone to develop strategies before evaluating balance. But initially it appears good.

I say good job for your first map. Its big, has a lot of details and plays well. It needs some tweaking but for a beta 1 its grand.

Upvote 0
About the gate. It's my english maybe. The way is stands there it doesn't
act like a gate. It just stands there angled and not attached to a fence if i'm
correct so the gate function isn't there. If you get it to dance free beer on my account :)

There is hard cover enough in near that ruin area.

Drecks

I see what you mean I did not know that the gate was supposed to be used in that way I thought that it was just a billboard kind of like advertising for Mother Russia.

Upvote 0
You mean C3-P0. R2 was the short guy.

I love the scope and depth of the map. Played on 2 servers today. The flow is nice and the more players in it the better. Shrek's mortar system is a nice compliment to the map. Lots of nice custom brush work.

It took some new players a while to find the satchel. It is in a dark corner on the ground. Beta 2 might have it inside a smaller crate sitting on a table to be easily seen.

I agree with the ruins. Why build up a sandbag wall inside an unstable building when there are lots of other "structurally sound" places to build it and fight. I wouldn't be inside of it unless it was the only structure or cover around.

Noticed a couple small bsp holes (mostly between boards). Nothing that would affect gameplay, but it might help performance if fixed.

Need just a little collision adjusting on a few spots. HTs get stuck on the tree barrier on the far left of the trenches. It isn't very close to them. There is a stuck spot for infantry on the side of the base of stairs inside the train yard.

I saw a couple games go both ways but players are still figuring out the map. It is big and I would give it a couple weeks for everyone to develop strategies before evaluating balance. But initially it appears good.

I say good job for your first map. Its big, has a lot of details and plays well. It needs some tweaking but for a beta 1 its grand.

Where are these BSP holes that you speak I hate those things.And the stuck spot on the stairs I guess I need a bit more detail also if you know how to handle those spots as well that would be good not sure what causes those.

Upvote 0
great work so far ,had a blast playing it all day, beside the few collision brush problems this is a really nice map. one of the problems i noticed is that allies cant recap machine shop even tho it's listed as such on their objectives, when trying to use the a/t gun the screen goes black and you have to mousewheel to third person view to see, you never get the rangefinder view. that might be an ahz gun issue, if you crawl beneath the Kv1's and stand you are inside the tank somewhere. the stairs outside the allies spawn make it too easy for spawn raping. many good battles at the fuel depot and front gate, most if not all the brush problems are in the train area i'll call it, the ramp going to building with crates next to rail cars, the cement walkway between rail cars at the end of the walkway in middle you get hung up, going left after that at the opening in last fence heading towards the long red building hung up by low grass long red building has some floating windows. keep up the good work i really enjoy this map P.S. i had Mike take screenies they'll be posted at http://raidersmerciless.com/showthread.php?t=1635

Last edited:
Upvote 0