• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

2012 Olympics, Frankie Boyle's take.

Oh god no no no Nestor. It's just the show is so laboured. Plus just because they can't pull in the kind of guests that Have I Got News for You can is no reason to have 4 regulars, 4 not particularly funny regulars every week :(

I was the same at first to be honest (poor mans HIGFY), but it kinda growso n you. Dara has been one of my favourite stand up comedians for a few years so I let him off for that :p

Upvote 0
Yeah - frankly HIGNFY has become a little bit too smug, self-congratulatory and ***-kissy. The whole show seems to be based around boosting sales of Private Lie magazine, in which Ian Hislop slags off people he went to public school with.

MTW is usually bobbins BUT:

it HAS got Dara O'Briain - the man who most successfully dissed Stephen Fry on his own show, and that deserves kudos in anyone's book*.

and it occasionally has some cracking jokes - particularly if they can keep that smug twat Hugh Dennis (I think that's his name) away from the camera.

You also get less of a feeling that all the reponses are scripted and furiously editted on MTW.

* It was an episode of QI where Dara was talking about the people in the village where he grew up and Stephen Fry chipped in with what he probably imagined was an amusing Irish accent and seemed very proud of it.

Dara retorted, "Yes, dat's roit, Stephen, because I actually DID grow up in a 50's fillum." :D

Upvote 0
All comedy shows fail when compared to Whose Line Is It Anyway*.

*When it works that is, sometimes it doesn't come off but when it does it's hilarious.

Plus, Dara is probably the only reason to watch MTW. Jimmy Carr has his moments on 8 out of 10 Cats, but he only really shines at the end of year quiz C4 does.

Upvote 0