• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any chance of Mortars

The mortars that will be used in Dubrava will be static and they require no special roles to fire. They are not moveable either which will keep people from droping shells on spawn exits. they are set in as a defensive area denial weapon. I think that Beta1 will be out this weekend so look for it.

Just guessing here, but it sounds like you might be using the ATGun.uc as a base for the mortar? If so, that's good.

Upvote 0
Most closed-top AFVs (IE: anything but the UC, SU-76, and the German Halftrack) could withstand a 50-60mm mortar round on the roof. You wouldn't destroy the tank, although if it hit in the right spot you might immobilize it.

If you could blow off a track, that'd be fine by me, but I think the way tracks function, doing so would be pretty difficult.
In the battle of Arnhem one Konigstiger was destroyed by a mortar going up the exhaust pipe :eek:

Upvote 0
For direct fire they'd be useful, but then you'd need decent range (IE: over 400m) and a clear line of sight to the target. Most RO maps don't have that, or to the extent they do, offer little to no cover for the mortar team.

You wouldnt need a direct line of sight because its an indirect fire weapon.

Also, mortars have no real minimum range limitation, you could drop mortars as close as you wanted, depending on how ballsy you are. Though I do believe there might be a limited traverse on the stand, in a combat situation, mortar teams are trained to "free fire" the mortars, meaning they tilt the mortar back and guestimate the traverse and fire while holding the mortars.

Upvote 0
Well, for indirect fire, we already have artillery. Granted, it's less realistic and more of an area-effect weapon (as opposed to pinpoint shots by the mortar), but if the weapon is used indirectly (and by that I mean not having a direct line of sight to the target -- so it may be my use of terminology is incorrect here), how exactly are players supposed to use it? Open a map and dial coordinates in?

Upvote 0
Well, for indirect fire, we already have artillery. Granted, it's less realistic and more of an area-effect weapon (as opposed to pinpoint shots by the mortar), but if the weapon is used indirectly (and by that I mean not having a direct line of sight to the target -- so it may be my use of terminology is incorrect here), how exactly are players supposed to use it? Open a map and dial coordinates in?

teamwork :)
for one you will get a feeling for the settings and the distances pretty fast and we might give some additional help in form some example values. The spotter will get measures so he's able to judge the distance ingame better.
Those 2 together should be able to fire pretty accurate rounds after maybe 2 shells.

As I said, you will be able to fire it alone, but effectivly it will only work as a team.

Upvote 0
In the battle of Arnhem one Konigstiger was destroyed by a mortar going up the exhaust pipe :eek:

I'm a bit sceptical on this. How the hell did the round manage to enter the exhaust? Note that they are curved, and also note the small size. Damage to the exhaust vents could be achieved, but as for destroying the actual tank I highly doubt it.

King_Tiger_rear.jpg

I would say it's more likely that the round either impacted the engine deck, where the armour was fairly weak, causing damage to the engine and sub-systems, or that it was in fact not a mortar round at all.

Upvote 0
teamwork :)
for one you will get a feeling for the settings and the distances pretty fast and we might give some additional help in form some example values. The spotter will get measures so he's able to judge the distance ingame better.
Those 2 together should be able to fire pretty accurate rounds after maybe 2 shells.

As I said, you will be able to fire it alone, but effectivly it will only work as a team.

That makes sense. IE: one guy at the top of the hill spotting and saying "range 300m...no, shift to the left a bit....a little more....THERE ya go." and the other guy manning the mortar itself behind the hill.

On a map like that, though, I wouldn't bother including artillery strikes (or at least keep them limited) so as not to make the mortar role redundant.

Upvote 0
I could believe a PIAT that hit the engine deck or somesuch. But if this is the British paratroopers in question, I'm not sure if they had any kind of weaponry like that. A PIAT and/or mortar would seem kind of difficult to drop effectively. But, whatever.
British paratroopers jumped on D-Day armed with PIAT.
And there is at least 1 recorded death due to the 6 PIAT bombs in the guy's leg bag exploding on hitting the ground.

Upvote 0
Static mortars with spawns outside of their firing range will help, but portable mortars could make this an issue. It was certainly a problem in BF1942 and Forgotten Hope. And spawn protection only lasts so long.

Ultimately, though, I suppose this will come down to mappers and admins trying to limit the spawn camping.

Upvote 0
I can't see the difference between the present arty & Mortars. Both can spawnrape. However they generally have a mature player sorting the Arty out. Plus i've noticed on some maps that you can't actually put arty on the spawn. It tells you no target available. That would solve the problem if there was a no arty zone 100M round the spawnpoint & you couldn't target it.
I've been looking for the map with the Mortars in everyday since they said it would be up but no joy yet. Girlfriend gets here today so no RO for 3 weeks. HMPH!! Guess i'll have to learn to mortar from you lot when i get back.

Upvote 0
mortars would be ok for some maps
but on small maps the would be over powering
the mortar team should be tried to the SL (the SL acting as the spotter)
Mortars could also fire smoke rounds to cover INf movements
mortars are indirect fire weapons even if you fire one without ajustments, it never hits in the same place 2time, but for bunkers and other build up areas it would be good in replacement for large Artillary that is over kill:D

Mortars would be useful for direct fire and more precise strikes
FALSE

they indirect fire weapons even with LOS your lucky to get a round within 5m of the area your firing
Mortars are area effect weapons !

AT guns , SP guns and Tanks are Direct fire weapons
Artillary today with GPS is not a 1 shot 1 kill weapon
the still used as Area effect weapons

Upvote 0
Static mortars with spawns outside of their firing range will help, but portable mortars could make this an issue. It was certainly a problem in BF1942 and Forgotten Hope. And spawn protection only lasts so long.

Ultimately, though, I suppose this will come down to mappers and admins trying to limit the spawn camping.
There's nothing better than having you and some guys set up mortars and loobing your shells into a group of people linning up to wait for Helecopters at spawn, well in BF Veitnam anyway. :D

Upvote 0