• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Minimap

I want Radar.

ask and ye shall receive

radar.jpg

Upvote 0
I loved the hand-drawn scrap of paper look of some of the overheads back then.. now it took me FOREVER to learn the layout of (Minsk?).. but it happened eventually.. :]

I bet it was Kiev, that map had the most awesome map haha, not only was it hand drawn with no radar, I think it was tilted 90 degrees to the side as well.

I don't think I even saw the Allied half of the map (I only played as German on that map for a while) for at least a month.

Still, that map had a great atmosphere to it

Upvote 0
we already have ww2 gps :/
Because people cant tell one wall from another :rolleyes:

/me loved the gps'less 1.2 days

Yeah the game was so much better when nobody knew where they were at or where the objectives were :rolleyes: The overhead map is nowhere near GPS, and is far more realistic than soldiers not having a clue about where they are at, and what they are supposed to be doing.

Upvote 0
Yeah the game was so much better when nobody knew where they were at or where the objectives were :rolleyes: The overhead map is nowhere near GPS, and is far more realistic than soldiers not having a clue about where they are at, and what they are supposed to be doing.

i blame it on the vodka myself..:D i never know where i am on any given map and know even less what i'm doing..;)

Upvote 0

Well, actually, you'd just need a quite accurate map and a marker on the spawnpoint, and voila, knowing your way around is as easy as breathing, without having the magical "you are here" arrow.

Upvote 0

"nobody knew", well, i know around 20 guys (that is those that played the game regularly back then) who pretty much knew where they are.
And well, i dont know, maybe people suck terribly at orientation in FPSs, i never had a problem with knowing where i am.

A map, with an arrow, that shows here i am, moves the way i do, points in the direction i look, sounds pretty much like GPS to me. Marked spawnpoints is a different thing. But we never had those.
And the objectives were marked back then too, they just werent some flashy icons where you could check if something got capped on the other side of the map.

But well i guess, its all about how one likes it :)
I never had a too big problem with the GPS arrows, they make things easier for some (i never use them anyway), but flashy cap icons just changed the way you play (Kauk probably being the best example for it).

Upvote 0

Actually mate most squaddies didn't know where they where, that was down the NCOs and Officers, who would in turn lead the men to the objective. This is why the loss of such men was extremely detrimental to a unit.

Upvote 0