• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-MyshkovaRiver beta1

Great map!
There is a little problem with your Mini-Map
The "Eastern Line" for the Eastern Line Capzone isnt on the right place
Its under the name for the first one
And the trees, they are too white, ice-trees?:p
We will add it on our thedamnedpriests server now

Greetings TDP Frontschwein

Oh mueck, time for your post now..:)

The weird text thing is because the objectives are close together so in order that the objective names dont overlap, the text gets moved to weird places sometimes. Not sure what to do with this. The trees are pretty white, but I like the look. Trees certainly do look like that at times, so I thought that while they aren't perfect, they'll do for now. Thanks for getting it up on your server!

Its an excellent map. Played numerous times this past weekend... couldn't get away from it!! :)

Thanks for the comment and for running it though some paces before the release. In response to the feedback I reduced the tank player classes to one man, one tank, still with three german tanks and two soviets. If people want it this could be increased to four and three, maybe for the 50 slot servers. I also decided not to add to much in the way of transport vehicles because my experience has been that building spawns around this only leads to really long runs after the vehicles have been driven off. For the moment I've just tried to shorten the run distances where they were longest, and leave out the transport. The map is pretty big, but I'm hoping that it will be fast paced. If people aren't finding this to be the case, let me know, and I'll work on that aspect.

Upvote 0
I personally like no transports as the infantry have to maneuver in the forest areas to get good positions and primarily fight among themselves. Transports would only give the tanks easy targets on the roads.

Had a great time with the map over the weekend. Once explored, there are many different ways to get to objectives and use tactics. Nice job.

Upvote 0
FPH, very nice for a pre beta version. It plays really nice and challenging for both sides. I think this is going to be a cool combined arms map as the infantry can really sneak up on the tankers if their own infantry do not support their advance. Noticed a few "invisible walls" scattered through out the map, but sure you will work all those out. Looking forward to playing on a Beta! Nice work and thanks for your contributions to RO:OST Guy!

Upvote 0
10 of us played ln & it was a blast! The KV1 was a tough nut. Realy liked the fox holes, ab mod fits perfectly w/ this map.
The cool chalenge for tankers was the trees, not just menuevering through them, but seeing , shooting & dodging sappers.
Some may complain about it being too brite, but thier screen settings could be too brite or contrast off.
Sun glasses mod any one? ;)

Upvote 0
The map surprised me, actually, with its layout of villages and the broken bridge--the screenshots focused so much on the trees that the actual map (forest?) was lost to me.

It looks like a blast. If you have the desire to mix up the trees, you might want to make the some of the trees be less snow-covered in the interior of the stands, or on the opposite side of the prevailing winds. Just a thought.

The "wind blowing" sound seemed a bit short, but maybe it's just temporary until you can get a neat one (or two going at the same time at different rhythms, like an 11/13 beat so they have a pretty irregular rhythm. Oooh...)

Upvote 0
I've had a chance to play a few rounds on the map today, and I think that the map is playing pretty well. Changes that I want to make so far is to give the germans an additional tank. I think another p4 would work well, but I'm also playing with the idea of maybe adding a tiger into the map, with two other tanks. I'm also going to give the germans some more half track transportation, particularly at the actual river crossing. Other ideas or suggestions would be great, I think the map is a bit tilted against the germans at the moment (suprisingly, I wasn't expecting that), and I want to get another, more balanced, beta out soon.

Upvote 0
Tried it today. Another sweet map from FPH! One thing that happened alot though is I was constantly being "left behind" when the Germans would capture an area I'd still be in the vicinity and then they start complaining about spawn camping! What do they want me to do kill myself once they get the objective? So maybe the spawns can be moved so you don't spawn in the actual objective area? Maybe kick the spawns back so there is a "buffer objective" between your spawn and the active objective. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0
Tried it today. Another sweet map from FPH! One thing that happened alot though is I was constantly being "left behind" when the Germans would capture an area I'd still be in the vicinity and then they start complaining about spawn camping! What do they want me to do kill myself once they get the objective? So maybe the spawns can be moved so you don't spawn in the actual objective area? Maybe kick the spawns back so there is a "buffer objective" between your spawn and the active objective. Just my thoughts.

I'm not quite sure how to deal with this. The map has ten objectives at the moment, granted the first one is a gimme, designed so that the soviets can be entrenched on the ridge before the first wave of germans come, but that's nine contested objectives, so I'm hesitant to add more. I also don't want to have the spawns further back because I like having things be easily in running distance. One thing I have done is added a creeping mine volume, not extending too far past the new spawn and with a nine second time. I don't want half the soviet team to blow up once the germans cap an objective, but this should hopefully serve to gently push the soviets back without changing other parts of the design.

Next beta should be very soon, I will be adding five minutes of times, and a number of half tracks to get the germans advancing faster. Reinforcements have also been reduced a bit. For the tanks, I've given the germans two stugs and two p4s.

Upvote 0
Altough others may kill me for that: would it be possible to add German Winterskins? It's quite hard to shoot white Russians sneaking in white grass while you are to be seen over miles due to the high contrast of Fieldgrey uniforms. Apart from that I hope your changes make it a bit easier for the Germans to cross the river. As of now, it is impossible to do so, due to lack of time and overwhelming AT firepower of the Russians on a full server (32-50 players). Maybe one Tiger, spawning for the rivercrossing only, could help, as kind of emergency reinforcement.

Upvote 0
Altough others may kill me for that: would it be possible to add German Winterskins? It's quite hard to shoot white Russians sneaking in white grass while you are to be seen over miles due to the high contrast of Fieldgrey uniforms. Apart from that I hope your changes make it a bit easier for the Germans to cross the river. As of now, it is impossible to do so, due to lack of time and overwhelming AT firepower of the Russians on a full server (32-50 players). Maybe one Tiger, spawning for the rivercrossing only, could help, as kind of emergency reinforcement.

I personally would love to have winterskins on the map for the germans but a couple of things has prevented me from doing so far. First of all, the attempt of new skins in Kolno didn't go very well, lots of weird bugs and trouble with the redirect. I think there is a winterskin pack out there right now, but I think that servers were also having some trouble with those. I don't really want to do anything that would further prevent the map getting up on servers, especially since it isn't on the rotation of any of the most popular 50 player servers (not sure why this is the case).

The river crossing is one area that I definitely mean to improve. I've played a number of rounds on the map, and it is always in this position that the germans get held back, regardless of the time left on the map. The spawn point has been moved up a bit, and also there are two halftracks that spawn for the crossing.

I'm suprised that the russian armor is so effective, I think the kv might be a bit tougher than I realized. Maybe adding a tiger at each tank spawn, spawning only once will help with this.

Upvote 0
I personally would love to have winterskins on the map for the germans but a couple of things has prevented me from doing so far. First of all, the attempt of new skins in Kolno didn't go very well, lots of weird bugs and trouble with the redirect. I think there is a winterskin pack out there right now, but I think that servers were also having some trouble with those.
You're from TWI, why don't you guys make some extra official uniforms? It is kinda weird that the Russians always have wintercamo (in WW2 most of the time they had the brown overcoats) and the Germans have to deal with a simple feldgrau uniform with -30 C.

Upvote 0