• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
It's pretty clear you never witnessed the first release of your oh-so-holy-grail RO:
-You could walk under the terrain of certain maps and kill people without them being able to see or shoot you
-There were no machineguns for over a year. How realistic was that for a war, where both sides based their whole infantry doctrine around the machineguns?
-Maps were both ugly and buggy and some had a large amount of graphic errors
-In the absence of free-aim you could paint a dot on your screen and always hit with railgun accuracy, even when moving

RO was neither that hyped nor did it go through an almost 4 year development circle.

Im not really judging INS, because i havent played it and probably wont until at least some people say its more than a bunch of kids tk'ing (which is something that actually didnt happen in the first RO release) and a pile of bugs. What i really wonder though is, why are you so eagerly defending it?
If you were a dev, i could understand, but even those would have to admit that there are quite some issues, some that make it almost unplayable.

Upvote 0
EDIT: This was a response to KrazyKraut, begun before Switchblade's post.

You do realise that you sound just as bad, only from the opposite camp? Your last few posts suggest a determination to love and defend Ins no matter what and to me, that reeks of hypocrisy.

Will it eventually become a good game? Maybe. If they work on it carefully and don't listen only to the suckups. Right now though, it's got a swag of legitimate problems, whether you choose to acknowledge them or not, some of which seem so obvious that people (including longtime community members) are unsurprisingly wondering out loud how they made it through years of testing unnoticed.

You can also compare it to RO Beta 1 as much as you like, but there's a big difference in how the PR has been carried out. Yes, RO had problems, nobody is denying it. So did every other mod ever made, but none were as ambitious in their first versions and they certainly didn't proclaim how "instantly wonderful" they were going to be.

The Ins team have spent years proclaiming that it's effectively "the second coming" and that, as the above quote from Jeremy suggests (along with plenty more from the whole team over the last 3 years) they were intent on skipping all the intermediate versions and going straight to the "perfect" release. A noble goal, but there's a reason no-one else has managed to do it before them. They've now learned the hard way that the more you try to do at once, the more problems you get in one go and in future they'll know better (with any luck). This time round however, it's been a farce. You know it, I know it and most importantly, they know it.

You think we're all desperate to hate it, but if we were, we wouldn't have bothered to try it at all. The fact is, we don't have to go looking for problems because they're everywhere. Just jump on the official forums for confirmation if my word isn't enough. If you expected us to simply toss aside our skepticism and accept their "holier than thou" PR campaign as gospel however, I'm afraid you're mistaken. Most of us wouldn't do so for ANY developer, not even Tripwire. Certainly not for a first time development team with no prior projects to lend credence to their claims.

In time, perhaps this will become a great mod, but it isn't there yet and no amount of wishful thinking on the part of fans will change that.

Upvote 0
I have about enough of this thread, if you guys see the RO boards as a "free-haven" to bash any other mod or game you are in the wrong place, discuss ok, but these rants have nothing to do with a good discussion.

if you really feel the mod is so bad then don't play it.

as for further rants, be a true hero and post them on the INS boards

Valid point Switchblade. Now mine. I downloaded it, installed it (not knowing the hype etc I just downloaded it on recommendation). It runs OK (ish) no major dramas there. I just find the theme a tad near the mark. My fault I admit, as it was, I never read up on it before downloading it. I was unaware of the the game at all, LOL I must have had a sheltered upbringing :) .First map I find a humvee with dead American driver. I'm given the choice to be an insurgent or an Alliance soldier. This conflict is ongoing still in real life and people are dying (both sides) in real life. I just find the theme of the game a bit, I dunno, tactless is probably the wrong word. It just seems wrong.
I'm not faulting the work of the devs, nor the commitment of those to the game. I'm not taking a pop at anyone, be they devs, players,admins or whoever. Nor am I intending to flame, just stating my personal (and only my personal) view.

Upvote 0
You are idiots. Plain as that. You are so desperately trying to find something to hate this mod it's just plain rediculous.

I don't think anyone (apart from a few maybe) is bashing the game here. It's just that things like the movement and the anti-TK measurements, which are fundamentally important to ANY multiplayer game, have been neglected by the devs. Sure it's the first release, but moving around in a game has to feel natural, dammit! Really, you cannot release a mod if these things are dodgy.

RO Ostfront has drastically raised the bar for multiplayer realism gaming (no fanboy talk here, it's a fact), and some people underestimate that.

Just acknowledge that, and post in the INS forums so you can help INS get better. Oh, and drop the fanboyism ;)

Upvote 0
I don't really know what to think of it. For the first beta release it's good, but for a release that's been hyped for four years now - I don't think it really lives up to the promises.

Theres tons of bugs and it's still pretty rough around the edges. Servers crash and have issues with map changing - a lot of the time the game gets stuck in the "final scores" -screen with nothing happening. The movement is really sluggish and you get stuck on everything. It's miles behind RO regarding ever aspect of it. For example, you can't sprint while crouching, you can't change to crouch position directly from the prone position, but have to first stand up and there's just a bunch of stuff regarding weapon switching and such that make it feel really tangled and sluggish.

The weapon models, animations and sounds are top notch - can't say the same about third person animations and voice commands. The weapons also feel good, apart from the RPG, which just sucks in every way. The sounds suck, the grenade is so slow that you can dodge it by stepping aside when you see it flying towards you and the blast radius sucks too.

Anyway, apart from those things, it's still got potential for great mod. With the realism aspect and the command system, I'll be sure to play it.

Upvote 0
Why kraut was banned for what was a valid post i don't understand but i will leave it at that.

Now any of you who know me know i am as big an RO fan as is out there (i run RO on clanbase and fullmj one of the top RO clans) and i yet i can say that insurgency will be a better game than RO. (imho of how i like to play games).

Obvious things like anti TK measures were indeed an oversight and a big one at that and instability is indeed rampant. I thoroughly believe that 50% of reported bugs (like nades sticking and gettin stuck in the ground) is due to overloaded/laggy servers (see a laggy RO server for how "Bugs" can appear). I spent 2-3 hours on a 20 man server where myself nor the server crashed (suggesting that client stability is affected by server stability) and had an absolute blast.

Even only 1 day after release i see more teamwork/covering in Ins than i have in the whole of RO. The lack of nuclear grenades, whether "realistic" or not, makes for a much more fire fight orientated game which is something RO missed out on (the very first public beta for RO Ost had shorter nade distances and then you also saw people grouping up and providing suppressive fire)

The commander is actually effective, whether or not having a icon appear on your HUD is realistic or not it makes the commander role more than a glorified player.

Yes a lot of the Ins maps are small but i played several maps yesterday that easily were bigger/equal to the likes of Kessel or Kransyi. And one map (Sinjar i believe) was positively massive with ranges on par with Basovka or longer. Considering how bad the source engine is at large ranges they have done a fine job. Some maps are better than others but when was the last time you played Rakowice and enjoyed it more than Danzig/odessa/kransyi .

I am not saying that Ins is better than RO or vice versa but rather that Ins has taking a lot of influence from RO and improved on areas that were lacking but it still has a long way to go to be an RO beater.

If you forget all the hype/comments of the devs then as first releases go this is a stonker which can only get better if they stick to their vision.

Upvote 0
I just hope they have larger maps in the future, most of them are just too cramped (it doesnt help when servers run 24+ people per map) and on all the servers they always seem to run Almaden (it seems to be the Arad of Ins)

Other than that it definatly has potential and im enjoying it, give it a week or two and all the idiots will have got bored and left.

Upvote 0
Maybe you got a leaked beta version or something..where did you download from? The servers might not be the same version as yours

Were you on a Test server ?

runs fine now. i used one of the torrents someone posted a few pages ago. i had a look at their forums and there seems to be an issue with linux servers. by now i can connect on almost every server that

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just hope they have larger maps in the future, most of them are just too cramped (it doesnt help when servers run 24+ people per map) and on all the servers they always seem to run Almaden (it seems to be the Arad of Ins)

IIRC, the devs have said that most of the maps are designed for 16 players, not 32. That could explain the "cramped" feeling.

As I've said before to some of my friends on MN and CC, just releasing something puts you in a select category in the mod universe. The vast majority of mods die a silent death long before they're close to a release state. Whatever opinion of the game itself, or of the developers, they have managed to release something and that is worthy of respect.

Upvote 0
Small maps? It's source engine, goddamn it. How about Danzig then. Oh yeah, right, RO-Danzig is of course a much more realistic representation of urban combat

Now that you said that, Danzig is one of my least favorite maps for RO, I usually avoid it and cannot understand who would ever run a 24/7 Danzig server (and there were couple of those around). Indeed, that map is contrived and looks nowehere near what a real city looks like - a good comparison with ALL INS maps.

There were even worse maps in the history of RO - Koitos, anyone? :eek:

However there are at least 8-12 RO maps that look more "real place" than anything else from any other game on the planet. As I said, even BF2 Karkand is a study in realistic urban planning and architecture compared to usual INS map mess.

Upvote 0
? kraut was banned and all I got was a ****ty t-shirt!

Anyway, I'm sure INS could be fun, but until the rampant teamkilling and server crashing is fixed I don't even bother.

I actually managed to have an intense little game this morning on a smaller server, we were all in comms. Then some guy joined and did the whole bel-air thing on the mic and crashed the server.

It's absolutely ridiculous when even I know about the exploit and it still isn't ****ing fixed.

I'm not playing INS for another god damn second until that is fixed. At least teamkillers can be killed back, you can do nothing against anonymous, he does not forgive.

edit: hotfix coming out today fixes the problem. FINALLY.

Upvote 0
So far im pretty pissed with this mod.
I'n trying to play it i have wasted the only 30 minutes of free spare time i have had in the last past 60 hours or so.
So far i have pretty much encountered bugs every time except one time.
- Not being able to pick sides
- Being able to pick sides but just not spawning for no reason
- Messed up graphics, in such a way that the whole map consisted of purple and black cubes and plants in regular colours.
- One time music works, another time it does not work at all.

The not being able to spawn thing really pisses me off.
So far i have only spawned twice, the first time spawning gave me a crash to windows, the second time it was actually playable. Who wouldve dared thinking that it actually would work? i honestly was surprised something DID work in this mod.
Then during first 15 minutes of gameplay the controls were way to clunky to be playable in a good way.

And why do people die from 1 legshot?

Upvote 0