• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Solution to Auto TK Kicks and Asshats

Monstar

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2006
The current Votekicking system does not work. In the year I have played RO:OST I have never seen anyone kicked using the votekick method. Most of the times you need an admin on a server, there isn't one. There are some popular servers like Snipergroup that never have one. Let's face it, there's a lot of people playing RO whom we wish simply did not exist. I think the solution is a different kick/ban system.

If a person initiates a kick against another person, everyone should immediately be given the quick option of yes or no, with the button for yes and no being listed in the message with the person that is nominated for a kick. If a player is kicked twice in the same day they should be banned for at least 24 hours on that server. There should also be a time limit on how often a person can nominate another for a kick. In addition, if a player leaves a server, that kick vote should still take effect. This addresses the issue of people leaving and coming back before they can be kicked, so that they can be banned if asshatery continues.

This would do away with TK auto kicks, which seem to hinder good players more than it does the asshats. It would also put the power of admin into the hands of the community on most servers. It worked very well in AA. I hope the Devs will seriously consider this idea.

Well, it sounds good, but i know from some other games that there are asshats who still abuse this system.
Make one friendly kill to them (by accident of course), or just say something about your team's poor performance, and off you go lol.
Most people dont know what's going on and just randomly select an option, mostly yes and especially when youve got a higher score then said person lol.

Upvote 0
Or try a different approach: Have a mutator that allows the player that was tk'ed to activate a command that force the tk'er to commit suicide and thus it will cost the tk'er his own life to kill a team mate - a sort of atoning for his sins way albeit at the tk'ed victim's discretion..

thats bad, it only punishes accidental tkrs, but for idiots who only care about tking and pissing people off, they dont care if they die or if they are autokicked, so there is no point in that, and its not realistic to commit a tk by accident and suddenly you become emo and die from regret

Upvote 0
The only really effective solution to intentional tk'ers is an active admin on the server who slaps permbans on everyone who intentionally tk's and as long as every server don't have active admins there will be intentional tk'ers - "live with it or leave the server" that seems to be the only options for now..

Upvote 0
Yesterday a jerk was giving voice command "AT troops needed here!" on the Kaukases map - endlessly, the whole map through. Kick and ban by steam ID was necessary there! When some irritated people started to vote to kick him he would change his name, he would even take someone else's name from the other team.
Also, on Basovka, he took the role of the russian squad leader and amused himself by not using arty and by throwing smoke granades inside the command bunker spawn so that many people could not find their way out in the heavy smoke! :D The axis did win that time... :D
I'll say it again - Kick and ban by steam ID was necessary there! Not by name.

Upvote 0
if 4 people dont forgive you getting an session ban will seriously stop nasty tkers for a while.

ok, good, but thats not how the tk mutator worked in the mod, it only kicked people (or thats what I remember)

a good thing would be that after 4 tks and 15 seconds after the forth unforgiven tk (I add the seconds so squad leaders are not insta-banned), then ban the guy for 24h at least

Upvote 0
Airbuccaneers, a mod for UT2004 had a variant of the tk forgive mutator.

Essentially it was the same, if you tked someone then they got a message saying 'To forgive player ------ Press f6'. If you didnt get forgiven 3 times ina row you were kicked from the server.

If you rejoined you only had 2 opportunities to tk before you were kicked if you werent forgiven and if you rejoined after that you had only 1. If you tked again at that point you receieved a session ban, changing name did not help.

I thought it was a pretty good system as most of the time accidental tk's were forgiven quite readily. Also it didnt actually register the tk's until a short time period had passed or the user had pressed f5, f6 to forgive or not. This stopped a mass accidental tk (such as killing a friendly battleship as any old ABU player will know ^^) from immediately kicking you and gave a chance for the victims to forgive you.

Upvote 0
ok, good, but thats not how the tk mutator worked in the mod, it only kicked people (or thats what I remember)

a good thing would be that after 4 tks and 15 seconds after the forth unforgiven tk (I add the seconds so squad leaders are not insta-banned), then ban the guy for 24h at least

That's because servers set the punishment for the tk forgive mutator to a kick. not to a session ban or full ban. But your problem was with actually getting people to vote for it not the punishment set by the server ^^.

Upvote 0
I dont think people should vote for kick as the one who opened this topic thinks

messages that interrupts the gameplay are bad
people may spam them
you can easily get an unfair kick/ban, specially if you piss off a clan

so thats why I think they should take the old tk mutator and make it work

Upvote 0
thats cool, then someone should make it work again, and maybe tweak it for possible artillery accidents

Well the person that made the mutator was at his wits end, to what caused the server crashing sadly. Because of the wording after you people usually forgave people. And people always said sorry after a tk.

You killed a teammate, You've been forgiven by your teammate

You were killed by your teammate, You forgave your teammate you're a noble person :D

Upvote 0