• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Teams Please

Trendkill

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006
Dorset, UK
I don't know whether this should go in ideas/suggestions so please move it there if it should.

I was just on one of TWB 50 player servers on the map Kryukovo and was appalled to see the German team stacked about 25 - 15 (the Germans can have it pretty easy on this map, even with even teams), surely there can be some restrictions put in place to make sure teams stay fairly even, maybe only allowing one or two more men to be on one team than the other... As many probably know this really makes the game annoying and boring for the team that is trying to cap or defend their first objective but isn't helped by the fact they are 5 or more men short...

I do get a message sometimes that I can't choose the team I am at that moment trying to join... weird that teams are often balanced when I get that message... :confused:

I agree with the OP, would be nice to have some more balance with only one or two "overflow". But of course what should happen if a lot of people of the same team decide to leave a side mid game? Auto balance and force people into the other team upon respawn?

Upvote 0
i think i may be one of the few people who use the auto select feature upon joining a server.

most of the time i find that the teams even themselves out. usually some vets will join the smaller team once they realize that it is 25-15 or something like that. I usually try and join the smaller team just because i know some people are like sheep and will follow once a few others switch too.

Upvote 0
Well this crazy idea has been floating around for how long now? I think fiftyone will bail us out, am I right? Well either way I've adapted and made a personal oath to always play Russian. Even if we do get autobalance I'm not playing German. I wonder what the German "fanatics" will do once they can no longer perpetually teamstack the Russians into oblivion? I predict alot of crying and complaining. You get used to winning through sheer teamstacking rather than good tactics and once that's gone what will be left? Break down and get some game skills?

PS I know there are alot of honorable German players out there but sadly alot AREN'T.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a fan of the typing "teams" and having server auto-balance. I have played other games that have this, and it can be frustrating. You bust you b*tt to help your team win, in a balanced game, and in the last minute or two some players on the opposite team quit because they see their team losing. Then someone types "teams" and your on the losing team one minute before you lose. How very anti-climatic.

Balancing should be when joining the game (static) as opposed to the server doing it in-game (dynamic). Under this condiction, team switching would be off. If a team is about to lose and players drop off, too bad. That is how I would set up server config or a mutator.

Team stacking will only happen when admins are not around. Another solution is to have more admins with flexible hours to man the servers when others can't, but I know that's not always as easy as it sounds.

Upvote 0
Theres an option within server settings for balance teams. Not sure if this works within RO or not though, none of the servers ever have it on :/...
Wa wa wait....If that's true and we already have an autobalance feature then why is no one using it? I guess the people have spoken and don't want a fair fight. I'm cool with that, I'll continue along cracking German "fanatics" skulls whenever I can.

Upvote 0
Team differences of 10 or more, fine, I can understand an issue there, but when I see people screaming "TEAMS!" in general chat for a difference of only 2 or 3 people, I just want to tell them to STFU and play. Same goes in any shooter. Teams don't have to be even and the only time I see any justification in having a problem with a tiny imbalance in numbers is if it's 1 vs 4, 2 vs 6 or 3 vs 7. After that point, it ceases to matter.

Long story short, unless a team's got a grossly disproportionate number of players AND is steamrolling the other team as a result, stop worrying about it and just play the game.

Also, I think the autoteam button's been broken since the last patch. Basically now players are put on the spectator side until they choose a team and weapon, which is great - except that while people are still picking a class, anyone else who clicks autoteam will get the same result as they did, meaning that you end up with 4 or 5 people autoteaming onto Germans. It needs to assign them to a team as soon as you click the button rather than waiting for a class to be chosen first. Bear this in mind before raging at all the "German stackers".

Upvote 0
From my experience teams are rarely even; just about the only time they are even is when the player limit is reached on both sides (hardly a solution) Then you have the phenomenon of players who can't bring themselves to play the attacking side because most people would agree that attacking is usually more difficult than defending. Then of course you have the "fair weather players" who jump ship at the last minute so they can preserve their stupid stat log/ rankings or just because they can't stand to lose and possibly spiral into a major depression unless they are #1 at all times. But like I said hey that's fine with me I'll beat em at their own game.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm the sort of a nice guy who ends up evening teams, and as a result I almost always play the Soviets. And those rare times when I would really like to play Germans, I feel so guilty when I cause a teamstack. Usually on the beginning of a round, so when more players join up it sometimes evens out. If it doesn't, well, so much for me playing Germans, I guess.

Upvote 0