• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Carpathian Crosses: Big Update Part II

DeV

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Netherlands
Big Update Part II

By now, you all should be used to it: a long wait, followed up by a big update. And if we say big, we mean it. The add-on made some huge steps in the last few weeks. Some of the new features made huge progress, the mortars for example, and also some new features that aren't even announced yet. That should get you thinking, shouldn't it. Let's have a look at one of those features. Do you know those pesky barbwires on some maps that stop you from taking the shortest way to an objective? In Carpathian Crosses, we refuse to let that stop people, so we will say "enough with that, give them wirecutters".

Engineers will now be able to cut wires and open up new ways for their team. And before you ask, yes, the most embarrassing thing is to get knocked out with a wirecutter. But wirecutters are not the only thing that are working and in our add-on already. We also have the Steyr 1912 pistol for you, a toploaded pistol, which makes the reload look alike with the one you're used to of a Kar98 for example. It's a 9mm pistol, with a magazine holding 8 rounds.

We would also like to show you our new and improved ZB-30 light machine gun. The one previously shown in the media updates had been suffering from some issues, so parts of it were redone and it has been given a new skin, restarted from scratch. You can't say we don't take realism and detail serious on this gun.

Ofcourse, having new small arms is one thing, but there are also quite some people out there that would prefer the bigger guns. So moving on to the armor part of this update, we bring you the R-35, but this time it has some color on. The R-35 is a French-made infantry support tank, that could carry a two man crew and close to 60 ammunition rounds. They were used in the liberation of Bessarabia and Northern Bucovina and in the siege of Odessa. Even if they enjoyed heavy armour, their low speed and weak gun restricted them to the infantry support role.

Ofcourse, every tank fan would love the opportunity to actually sit inside one of them. In the case of the Renault R-35, we bring you the closest you can get to that goal. We bring you the driver interior of the Renault R-35, and we made sure that every dial, every lever and every other detail is accounted for.

So now we've had new small arms and new armor, what are we missing here? How about a map to actually use those things on. That map is Chisinau. At the beginning of the war (for the Romanians) the highest priority was to get back the Soviet occupied territory: Basarabia, Bukovina and Moldova. On July 16th, in the morning, the Romanian 1st Armored Division was set to move towards Chisinau. At about 5.00 AM the Soviet 47th Tank Division spots the Romanians. They collide in a big tank battle with big losses on both sides.

And that concludes this update for now, stay tuned for more stuff coming your way!

Some of the new features made huge progress, the mortars for example, and also some new features that aren't even announced yet. That should get you thinking, shouldn't it. Let's have a look at one of those features. Do you know those pesky barbwires on some maps that stop you from taking the shortest way to an objective? In Carpathian Crosses, we refuse to let that stop people, so we will say "enough with that, give them wirecutters".

Engineers will now be able to cut wires and open up new ways for their team. And before you ask, yes, the most embarrassing thing is to get knocked out with a wirecutter. But wirecutters are not the only thing that are working and in our add-on already. We also have the Steyr 1912 pistol for you, a toploaded pistol, which makes the reload look alike with the one you're used to of a Kar98 for example. It's a 9mm pistol, with a magazine holding 8 rounds.
Now that's really original!

Ok, maybe it was possible in Hidden & Dangerous 2.

But I never seen a mod where you could cut fences!
Is there more you can surprise us with? :)

Upvote 0
The work you guys have done is absolutely amazing. Beutiful work in all departments...modeling, skinning, and from what you tell us it sounds like the weapons animations and coding is gonna be great too.

I'm interested to see how the wire cutters will work out in the game. Will you have to make several precise cuts in the right spots to take out the wire, or will you just have to 'aim' your wire cutters at the wire and hold down the fire button for 20 seconds? Either way, it sounds like a great addition to the game, and should kill fewer commerades by accident than using satchel charges.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of the Steyr 1912 before, but it looks awsome and I can't wait to try it out. The only other semi-automatic pistol loaded by stripper clip magazine chargers that I am aware of is the Mauser C96, although I'm sure there are others. And speaking of the C96, I wouldn't mind seeing one of those in game, even though I know they were rather uncommon, especially with the Wehrmacht Heer, and were for the most part only used by the Waffen SS, and even then in limited numbers.

I'm glad to see that you guys are so commited to quality, that you actually took the time to redo the ZB-30 LMG all over again. What's the magazine capacity for that thing anyways? 25....30 rounds? And I'm dying to know...can you change out the hot barrel on it? I imagine if you could that it would take a bit longer to change than on the German MGs.

And the tanks.....my god, they look extremely well done, but I never would have thought that they would look so brilliant on the inside as well. Because it's a mod, I would never have expected much for the interiors of the tank, which would be difficult to get info for and make look half decent....but you guys...the interior you made for the R-35 is looks to be easily as good as what the guys at Tripwire put out (if not better, but don't let Tripwire know I said that:D). Bravo Sethodie and Captain Obvious...never has the R-35 looked so sexy.

The maps look very beutiful, realistic and professionaly done. I look forward to playing them very much as I'm sure they will provide some very intense combat.

Congratulations to all of you working on this and thank you for working so hard to create all of this great content for the RO community. It also appears as if some members of the Tripwire staff have been helping out and contributing as well...thank you TWI!

-Monkeyfarmer

P.S. BEST $20 I EVER SPENT ON A GAME!

Upvote 0
The ZB-30 had a magazine capacity of 20 (IIRC) and it has also a small rate of fire so it's not going to overheat very fast. The LMG is very smiliar to the Bren so it will be interesting comparing both.

Amd I think the wire cutting thing will be a precise story because as you can see they are totally into realsim ;)

And if you want more weapons for example the C-96, find more animators, modelers and 2D-Artists for the CC dev team and you will get everything you ever dreamed of :D

Upvote 0