• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Vidzeme Preview

smokeythebear

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Sheppards house
So what started out as a testmap is now nearing completion. I entirely new to mapping so you can see from the screens what I'm working on isn't exactly original. I learned a lot in a short time so hopefully for my next project I will make custom textures and create something very unique. In the end my current map will be somewhat like the old RO-Berlin mashed together with Odessa and Danzig. CC is welcome.

Shot00235.jpg

Shot00247.jpg

Shot00238.jpg

Shot00245-1.jpg
I will hopefully finish in three weeks time.

Irregardless

LOL - man, who taught u English? George W.? You're right though - that is one damn thick fence (gate, whatever) - it should prolly be 4 UU thick max. Also, Smokey, if you move the texture on it a few UU's to the left you will see that the planks line up with the holes, making it look slightly less bogus.

Other than that I would say beware of using building meshes from another map which are meant to be viewed at a distance other than what you have in mind for them. e.g. a building mesh which is meant to be in the distance in, say, Odessa, probably would be quite low poly and have a small texture for its skin and would look really crap close up. Conversely, using a building that is meant to be seen close up as a background feature of your map is squandering resources.

As it's a first map you may not want to worry about that kind of thing too much but you will find that appropriate use of textures and resources gives you more scope for adding stuff when your map nears completion.

You would also have to look out for baked in lighting on the building meshes. I don't know if any of the buildings on those maps use lighting effects which have been baked in (i.e. applied to the skin itself) before adding the mesh to the editor but, if they do, then you will find it difficult to get good-looking light effects on a different map.

Other than that it's looking promising. If you are just cut-&-pasting buildings because you want to focus more on getting the gameplay right then that is probably a very wise thing for a first map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Forgive me for being American, whatever difference that makes.

I don't think you will find the word in Webster's dictionary or any other standard source for American English. *Edit* Oops - I tell a lie - it is in Merriam-Webster:

Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Upvote 0
The reason why "irregardless" is so hotly debated is because the word itself is a double negative, which the English language does not allow. Phonetically speaking, when using the word, individuals generally know what you're trying to say, so the verbal usage of the word does work. However, mechanically speaking, it just doesn't. Both the prefix "ir" and the suffix "less" both modify the root word "regard" in the same way, making it a double negative. It's like saying, "That soup is not not delicious."

Upvote 0
After spending half an hour loading this thread on the 46k connection im on right now, it's pretty dissapointing to see it has turned into a grammer lesson.

Anyway to answer some questions:

No it's not too dark.

It's a fancy wine cellar.

That AT guns position is 100% accurate, I saw it in a movie.

I'll make the fence nicer, was my first time making semi complex bsp's.

This map isnt a copy paste hack job, I just ripped off biuldings that will be in the backround.

Upvote 0