• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Major Steam Update in the Works

bloodypotato

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2006
Michigan
June 20, 2007 -- This summer Valve will ship a major update to its online gaming platform Steam, introducing an advanced set of community features to more than 13 million gamers around the world.

Beginning in July, Steam users can set up their own personal Steam pages and profiles, create and join groups, schedule games with friends, review who they've played with, see how well everyone played, chat with groups, chat via voice, and more. These new community services and features can be used with all Steam games, which include new releases and classic titles from leading publishers and independent developers.

Free of charge, the new community features will be accessible via the Steam desktop client and via the web.

"Our community has given us great direction on the ways they want to see Steam evolve," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "Adding these new community features to make it easier to connect with other gamers is something we've wanted to see on Steam for a long time and this latest update is just the start. We've got a long list of items that we're working on to make it easier for gamers to connect and play games on Steam."

This upgrade marks the largest extension to the Steam platform since its first commercial release in March 2004. In its three year history, Steam has defined the next generation online gaming platform delivering hundreds of games to millions of users with services such as Guest Passes, Automatic Updates, Free Weekends, and allowing gamers to access their games from any PC.

Seems interesting, but I hope that the "See How Everyone Did" doesn't mean that it will have something similar to the BF2 stats system, and more like a scoreboard from a specific match.

I dont wanna be rolled over by the steam-loler :mad:

Is it me or steam is getting to complicated? Soon they whant your personal information and..........................YOUR LIFE

steam.gif

This link is NSFW, but its as true as it gets http://www.markilly.net/Web/modules/news/images/topics/steam.gif

If RO wasnt on steam
steam_sucks.jpg

Upvote 0
I dont wanna be rolled over by the steam-loler :mad:

Is it me or steam is getting to complicated? Soon they whant your personal information and..........................YOUR LIFE

This link is NSFW, but its as true as it gets

If RO wasnt on steam
steam_sucks.jpg
It really isn't that bad.

Only because it takes more time (a few secs) to load, a little bit of HDD space, and a working internet connection it suddenly "formats all drives"? :D

They can't store any personal information because there's an international privacy law (although totally overlooked in certain countries, but I assume you don't live in Iran or something) that protects you from just that.

Hell, they even can't store credit card information, they can only look-up using a bank if it's been used before.

Upvote 0
Its kinda nice to have your games update automatically, but auto-updates aren't a steam-specific invention. Other than that I don't really use steam if I don't have to. I baught all my games in a store or and online store (mostly used, but steam kinda prevents that if you want to have all your games in one account, right?) because I want a dvd/cd. I never used steam's friends list or anything else.

Overall steam brought me more trouble than it helped me. A not-working offline mode in Halflife 2 (it started to work by the time I finished the game...); taking forever to update; refusing to update; stopping the updating process for no appearant reason; the massive crash a while ago where their servers were down due to a storm or something - combined with a not-working offline mode of course...; and now it refuses to load completely. I wrote to the support guys now and I hope they can help me. Their support page is chock full of answers to all kinds of problems but they never work for me. Couldn't get the offline mode to work and now I can't even start steam.:(

If there was no steam I would have had to download some updates manually but it would have saved me a LOT of trouble and I would have gotten them five times as fast anyway.:p

Now they add even more features I'm never going to use. I couldn't care less to be honest as long as it doesn't take longer to load.

Upvote 0
Its kinda nice to have your games update automatically, but auto-updates aren't a steam-specific invention. Other than that I don't really use steam if I don't have to. I baught all my games in a store or and online store (mostly used, but steam kinda prevents that if you want to have all your games in one account, right?) because I want a dvd/cd. I never used steam's friends list or anything else.

Overall steam brought me more trouble than it helped me. A not-working offline mode in Halflife 2 (it started to work by the time I finished the game...); taking forever to update; refusing to update; stopping the updating process for no appearant reason; the massive crash a while ago where their servers were down due to a storm or something - combined with a not-working offline mode of course...; and now it refuses to load completely. I wrote to the support guys now and I hope they can help me. Their support page is chock full of answers to all kinds of problems but they never work for me. Couldn't get the offline mode to work and now I can't even start steam.:(

If there was no steam I would have had to download some updates manually but it would have saved me a LOT of trouble and I would have gotten them five times as fast anyway.:p

Now they add even more features I'm never going to use. I couldn't care less to be honest as long as it doesn't take longer to load.

Steam support is the worst.

Upvote 0
It really isn't that bad.

Only because it takes more time (a few secs) to load, a little bit of HDD space, and a working internet connection it suddenly "formats all drives"? :D

They can't store any personal information because there's an international privacy law (although totally overlooked in certain countries, but I assume you don't live in Iran or something) that protects you from just that.

Hell, they even can't store credit card information, they can only look-up using a bank if it's been used before.

Um...a few seconds to load? On my other comp before they released that update to steam that let you run the files off your comp instead of unpacking them it took like 5 minutes to load an RO map. Some of us complained about it but everyone was like "Whatever just get a new comp noob" and then when Valve and TW release the beta steam thing our load times magically go down to 1 minute? Lol. Must've been my comp.

However, since the update I've had no problems with Steam.

Upvote 0
It's very simple.

STEAM is about control and nothing more.

Content control, distribution control, privacy control (our privacy), anti-piracy control etc.

It essentially means more control by the seller and less control for the end user by design. It is will be the new world order of software, music and movie marketing.

Do I like it? Hell NO! I miss the good old days when we simply purchased our software and you didn't need an internet connection and have to ask for permission to install your own software.

If we the consumer let them, this will be the future for all software, music and movies.

But I digress, we had this debabate many times in the old pre_STEAM RO mod forum.

Upvote 0