• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server What server?

honorshark

Dec 17, 2006
Hello. We are making a server PC just now.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz 2x2mb 64bit
Memory: 2x1GB 800mhz Dual Channel
HDD: 2x250GB Sata2 on RAID

So I want to ask what type of server we should use? I mean Windows or Linux? Or if Windows, what windows?

Thanks a lot...

Well gee whiz, thanks for that Zets. As far as I know he was after a simple to implement solution. I gave him that, the advantage being anyone can log in and start whatever type of server you want to run without having to get down to CLI level. If you want different ways of doing it there are many. Personally, my favourite operating system is solaris 10 but its not that user friendly. Still, crack on mate, have fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well gee whiz, thanks for that Zets. As far as I know he was after a simple to implement solution. I gave him that, the advantage being anyone can log in and start whatever type of server you want to run without having to get down to CLI level. If you want different ways of doing it there are many. Personally, my favourite operating system is solaris 10 but its not that user friendly. Still, crack on mate, have fun.

The thing with desktop is its still not user friendly beside that people know the windows interface from their own comp. Windows desktop works nice if you want people to be able to menage the server like they menage their own comp, but by using a seperate program that simply restricts you to one game. Allows you to give more users admin acces etc, because they cant **** up things completely unneeded. Beside that more people can logon at thesame time ;)

Simply getting a menagement program running is more userfriendly, basically pretty much thesame but then you just connect to some website and have an easy interface. Where you just can click on buttons that launch things restart things etc.

Sure windows desktop gets the job done, but can be rather bothersome if you always just want to do some tasks and basically dont need all windows functionality. Simply closing restarting a server or changing a commandline and starting up hlds is all you need for a server. Aslong as there is some ftp that you can use to upload custom content.

Definately take a server version of windows, less bloatware on it and nice functions made especially for servers.

Upvote 0
An interface the same as their own computer. Hmm that might make things simpler :)
A shortcut so you can start any one of the multiple installs of RO. Well that would make it idiot proof.:)
A simple file system, same as their own so any changes can be made easily.:)
A more stable system than the Linux installs.:)
No I don't want that, I'd like to do it all via webadmin please.

Upvote 0
I agree Windows is easier but Linux is more stable and faster. I think the 60% of the people how says Windows is more stable and linux is sucks. The best OS is the BSD systems. Yes I know what I say (type). Just you need to know BSD to run it nicely...

Thanks for all the help. Maybe you will se a 50slot hungarian server in 1month :)

Upvote 0
An interface the same as their own computer. Hmm that might make things simpler :)
A shortcut so you can start any one of the multiple installs of RO. Well that would make it idiot proof.:)
A simple file system, same as their own so any changes can be made easily.:)
A more stable system than the Linux installs.:)
No I don't want that, I'd like to do it all via webadmin please.

No not webadmin ;), thats not what i'm saying. I mean game menagement program. Thesame kinda stuff hosting companies use to give you some sort of restricted acces .

Upvote 0
Honorshark please don't misunderstand what I said mate. Just for the record:

1 Linux IS a BETTER system
2 Linux is a more stable system
3 Linux is a more scaleable system
4 Linux runs better on lower spec machines

I play with it a lot ( I particularly like ubuntu) and its great . Solaris 10 is a great system too.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

The Linux install for some games is flaky, badly implemented and makes a stable box distinctly unstable.
It needs sorting and this ISN'T aimed at RO in particular its aimed at anyone who markets a game and only provides a windoze install.

Upvote 0
And the Linux server isn't actually faster than the windows server. Strange but true, Unreal Engine servers prefer windows, don't ask me why :)

Well there is one important part.

Because linux servers are worse in ue at keeping a steady tickrate than windows tickrate even if a server is set at 20 or whatever it it is often slower like 18. If you set the tickrate to 22 or something you'll get a real tickrate of 20. But in the showing of the ping (in ut2k4 atleast) tickrate of the server is taken aswell. Because not only the net matters the time the server takes to process it aswell.

But because linux servers dont run at the tickrate they are set at they can be easilly set a tad bit higher. And the pings will be calculated from that setting. (together with the difference of resources) Will end up that linux servers will have lower pings.

Quite interesting though ^^.

Upvote 0
Honorshark please don't misunderstand what I said mate. Just for the record:

1 Linux IS a BETTER system
2 Linux is a more stable system
3 Linux is a more scaleable system
4 Linux runs better on lower spec machines

I play with it a lot ( I particularly like ubuntu) and its great . Solaris 10 is a great system too.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

The Linux install for some games is flaky, badly implemented and makes a stable box distinctly unstable.
It needs sorting and this ISN'T aimed at RO in particular its aimed at anyone who markets a game and only provides a windoze install.

I understand what you say... and THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPS. WE WILL USE WINDOWS SERVER 2003.

Upvote 0
windows XP is NOT server version, it is a workstation only,
for server you got windows 2000 or 2003, but they cost more due to a licenses.

hosting companies usually got huge amout of servers so they get special offers with discount for icenses - for example they buy 200 liceses in a price of 50 for standalone machines. Thats normal.

And don;t get virtual server - it is good for web hosting, mails etc where the accessibility is importand in some period of time

in games you need 100% access, otherwise you get insane lags that discourage players to join server later.

butt hen dedicated serevr costs a lot.

Upvote 0