• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Few Q from the old newbie :)

Marach

Aug 1, 2006
hi, I'm a newbie who recently bought RO. I've played it on a trial period 1 year ago and recently felt a need to do it again :). I have few questions.

1) I'm using the '[TT]' sufix in my nick ('Marach [TT]') which should indicate ppl who wanna Team Tank. at least that was the initiative I've read on forums year ago. I wonder if there're still ppl who like to team tank because I didn't notice anyone on servers who do it. all just go lone wolf and that absence of teamplay is not something I enjoy. maybe I was just unlucky...?

2) the game have the ballistics modelled realistically, meaning the bullet will drop with distance. german rifles drop less than russian, says the manual. the problem I'm having is I'm unable to make a kill at longer distances. I tried to shot regularly (putting the enemy in ironsight), aiming a little higher, more higher - but I didn't make a single kill at longer distances. especially when the enemy is moving, it seems impossible to me and probably that's because it indeed is really hard to shoot someone ;). but, wanted to ask - what's your experience with this? the only time I've amazed myself :p was when I took a german tank with PTRD in a single shot from a long distance and that's probably because I've managed to hit it in a gas tank or some other weak spot (which all can be found in the game manual).

3) why I don't hear ppl using in-game voice. are all servers configured to disable it? I'd love to communicate and coordinate with ppl, although I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to find many ppl on the server with the same desire, at least that's my conclusion from what I've seen so far.

tnx in advance

2) the game have the ballistics modelled realistically, meaning the bullet will drop with distance. german rifles drop less than russian, says the manual. the problem I'm having is I'm unable to make a kill at longer distances. I tried to shot regularly (putting the enemy in ironsight), aiming a little higher, more higher - but I didn't make a single kill at longer distances. especially when the enemy is moving, it seems impossible to me and probably that's because it indeed is really hard to shoot someone ;).
Bullet drop is noticeable only on some maps. The two maps I recall I had to use it on (aim higher than the target) are Mannikalla and Leningrad and that was when I was shooting from the german spawn the russians coming down from the hills and when shooting from the searchlight building the russians accross the river and bridge, respectively. So as a rule of thumb, bullet drop ain't, except on some maps where sick long range shots are possible and STILL, these shots aren't except if you have a big-*** monitor (I play on a 27").

Conclusion, aim for the target itself, not higher and you should be good 99.9% of the time.

Hope it helps and don't listen to my contradictors because they are usually full of sh!t ;)

Upvote 0
Bullet drop is pretty much only significant for smg's and the likes.
The rifles and MG don't experience much bulletdrop, so for those classes you want to aim ON the target, not above.

I occasionally use VoIP in RO, but most people dont care at all and knowing that, i usually find it to much trouble to plug in my headset (so people won't hear my gamesounds when i speak).
If you want to use a lot of VoIP you could try joining a clan, since we are pretty much allways on TeamSpeak or the likes, or just communicating with ingame VoIP.

Upvote 0
Bullet drop is noticeable only on some maps....
...Conclusion, aim for the target itself, not higher and you should be good 99.9% of the time.
Yeah, it's usually best to aim at the target on the first shot and experiment from there. Most maps just aren't big enough to worry about bullet drop. Although I made a really nice shot on Berezina over the weekend. I was a Russian in the left 2nd line trenches. A German was running from the AT guns to the far right toward the river. It took about 3 shots but I finally nailed him as he ran behind a tree. I'm not sure what that range is but it must be pushing 300 yards. I was aiming about a foot high and leading about 3 feet. It's hard to say for sure exactly where my sights were when I fired but there was definitely drop and lead involved.
That shot was an exception though, most of the time I don't need to allow for drop and very little for lead.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's usually best to aim at the target on the first shot and experiment from there. Most maps just aren't big enough to worry about bullet drop. Although I made a really nice shot on Berezina over the weekend. I was a Russian in the left 2nd line trenches. A German was running from the AT guns to the far right toward the river. It took about 3 shots but I finally nailed him as he ran behind a tree. I'm not sure what that range is but it must be pushing 300 yards. I was aiming about a foot high and leading about 3 feet. It's hard to say for sure exactly where my sights were when I fired but there was definitely drop and lead involved.
That shot was an exception though, most of the time I don't need to allow for drop and very little for lead.
Thanks for adding that, I totally forgot to mention Berezina. Bullet drop definitely applies to this map too!

Upvote 0
Thanks for adding that, I totally forgot to mention Berezina. Bullet drop definitely applies to this map too!
Why don't you just say "you only need to compensate for bullet drop at long range"?

Anyway, if you're making a long range shot with a rifle, you'll want to aim just a little above the target, just a fraction. Usually it wouldn't matter with a standing target because even if you hit them in the stomach you'll kill them, so it's no big deal. But it's a different matter where long-distance targets who are prone or partially behind cover are concerned. It all depends on the circumstances.

And don't forget to fire a few steps ahead of a target if they're moving sideways. That way they'll run into the bullet. Knowing just how far to lead the target comes with experience.

As for the VOIP, I'd estimate 70% of the regulars on the public server I usually play on use it, including quite a few non-clanners.

Upvote 0
Bullet drop and leading your target are much more noticable with scoped (sniper) rifles, as you see things a lot closer.

As for VoIP... yes it's not used as much on public servers, but I don't care. I'll go ahead and report and ask for help. Most of the time it helps out our team. Don't be shy, but don't sing or be a jerk either.

Another place to get good teamwork besides a clan is IronCrescendo ( http://www.ironcrescendo.net ). Unlike clans, we take everyone.

Upvote 0
But they are rare, trust me. People dont usually use VOIP, except the clanners.

There are good servers out there with a good base of regulars who have the teamwork down-pat and who use VOIP. You have to look around. The teamwork and VOIP is done well on the 2Manny server. Try the servers with under 50 players. The big ones tend to draw the crossovers from other games and the elitist clan members who aren't into teamwork or communication on a public server. And like the guy above me said, if you get on, have some ideas and broadcast them on VOIP, others will get involved and start as well. You might find a few telling you to shut up etc, and on good servers they'll be booted. Remember that if you are talking alone, there are still a bunch of players who can hear you are are likely listening and taking into account what you say and following you.

Upvote 0