• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Bridge (Mohaa map) Preview

spraduke

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
wiltshire
www.spraduke.co.uk
So after a lot of pestering whining and general nagging by members of my clan to rebuild this classic medal of honor map for RO I finally got around to almost finishing it. This has been my first map with any significant bsp usage and a lot of lessons have been learnt. Never ever stray of the grid, even if it looks fine at first it will come back to haunt you. Building in a minimum of 8 grid size is a must do (16 is better for bigger structures).

Also came a chance to really experiment with lighting and i feel i have achieved a interesting composure (which differs from the original map but i like sunny maps :p). In fact i found that using nearly all spotlights instead of general lights gives a much more natural sunlight lit interior.

I also am/have experimented with trying to create a round based gameplay without a new game-type with some success but no luck in getting it finalized (my coding = 0 ). Therefore i have settled for a 3 minute spawn and round time to reconcile the fact with instructing servers to set a per map setting of 5-7 round limit to achieve that roundbased game style.

Anyway enough chitchat and on to the screens. Please note that any comments on layout, historical accuracy or lack of detail will more or less be ignored as this is meant to be a replica of an old map rather than a typical RO map ;). It was both a execution in teaching and nostalgia on my behalf so take it at face value please!

bridge_1.jpg

bridge_2.jpg

bridge_3.jpg

bridge_4.jpg

bridge_5.jpg

bridge_6.jpg

bridge_7.jpg

bridge_8.jpg

bridge_9.jpg

Still to do-
Add ambient sound
Tweak a few visual elements
Probably add some general debris etc suplementary to the mohaa version
Bot pathing (should take about 10 minutes :p)
Continue to tweak/modify the search and destroy nature of the map

Once i have done some internal testing with my clan i will look to release a beta of this.

Last edited:
arrgg when you rply to a thread dont repost all the bloody pics and specialy when its right after the thread maker :p

I did it to show the Duke how to place the pictures under each other so the forum margins weren't pushed out of whack. (enter key between pics are what's needed.) Sorry, was trying to help. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On mine the pics are listed under each other :p just 800x600 on my 1280x1024 screen and the forum is the same width?

I will separate them anyway just incase.

Thanks for the positive comments. I contemplated ROifying the map to make it eastern front but as the original had a slight french feeling i decided it wasn't that far a push to imagine it as a german village.

As for time frame, the visuals are more or less complete (appart from the occasional smesh or poster). The layout is locked as it is now more or less the same as the mohaa map. The only thing to really be tweaked is how the round time/ spawn time/ objective works seeing as the original was roundbased and RO isn't ;).

However im aiming for an internal beta for the end of this week to test with my clan but if you want in the more the merrier so just ask and i will pass on the details.

Upvote 0
Looks like an excellent remake.

A few visual suggestions:

The water needs more attention. I can't see if you already have water or not, but as it is it doesn't look too hot. Either use a cubemap/env-map or try to mimick MoHAA's watereffect. It looked good too.

Trims! You need Trims everywhere. Trims are what makes a map look good. Have you ever wondered why your houses look so steril and tacked on? They lack trims! Just make them have a stripe of another texture right above and they will look twice as good.
For example that red brick house in the second pic from below:
If you add a wooden stripe at the lower end of that overhanging house part on the wooden pillar it would look much better. In the same pic there is a grey house in the back which could use a trim too. I don't remember if it had one in MoHAA but trims are always good. All the walkways should be trimmed too and at the edges you could round them off so the streets don't look so "lego".
It might sound like a weird trimming fetish of mine, but its true (and you don't wanna know about my real fetishes...:D).
Try it if you haven't already! You'd be surprised how much a simple trim for everything adds to the visuals.

Similar to the use of trims, you should also give every door a doorframe. Not much effort and it looks much better.

You could do the tunnel in a different way. As it is, the lighting is always a mess because of how the UnrealEd lights edges. The old one had an option to brighten them but in the new one it always looks strange if you want it to look round.
You subtract it as a square and inside you could add a round tunnel StaticMesh that looks like your current tunnel but is done with Maya. If you use smoothing groups right the lighting appears as round as it should. Not a big deal and probably not worth the effort.

Another option for the tunnel would be, to use lightcone StaticMeshes with ShadowCast=True and relatively strong lights in them so they only shine on the ground. You could use spotlights too but lightcones are a nice effect anyway so you could kill two flies in one strike. Then you add a ZoneInfo and change its ZoneLighting settings so the whole tunnel is slightly illuminated. That way you can see the walls and they are lit "roundly" and you still have the highlights of the lamps for the contrast.

This is honestly meant to help you. I'm not trying to point out flaws in your map or to talk it down (I wouldn't dare to, because I couldn't do it half as good myself). The map looks beautifull so far but a few small changes could make it look even better.

EDIT: Also, since you asked: I wouldn't mind helping you test it. Just send me a pm. I just hope that RO doesn't crash again because I'm having a bit of trouble with it at the moment but I'll do my best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the comments murphy. I will answer a few points raised.

Things like trim etc do indeed add detail but more often than not require at least some modeling ability (especially for specific to buildings) of which i have 0, nada, zilch ability to do :p. The also applies to suggestions of making a smesh tunnel. Concerning the tunnel i believe it has lit really well and isn't as dark in game as that screenshot (i have added "ambient" lights to mirror the way that a spotlight would also light its surroundings).

However i will attempt to add more detail etc to the buildings from the stock meshes or bsp additions because it is true that the details make a map.

Upvote 0
I didn't mean that the tunnel was too dark, but that there are shadows in the corners where there shouldn't be shadows. That way you can clearly see how many edges that supposedly round surface has which looks ugly.
If you only illuminate it with ZoneLighting everything is lit equally bright so it doesn't give away the fact that its low poly. It would look boring without the contrast of real lights though, so you still need those. You just have to prevent them from shining on the walls or you would get the same ugly effect again. That's why you should use transcluent staticmesh-cones (there should be stock ones available. I can search some for you if you want me to. I only map for UT2004 so I don't know the packages of RO) as "light cones". This looks neat AND it blocks the light so it can't shine anywhere but to the ground inside that light cone. That way you can still have contrasts, but you also have a tunnel that isn't too dark so you still see players in it and its lit in a way that doesn't scream low-poly.
No biggy, but its fairly easy to do.

For the trimming it is enough if you do simple low-poly trims. You don't need crazy shapes. The only thing that matters is that the trims are visible. Its enough if they are a piece of brush with another texture. You can also split the brushes you used for the houses, rebuild, and then assign the lower part another texture.

EDIT: Can't run steam atm. Sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did it to show the Duke how to place the pictures under each other so the forum margins weren't pushed out of whack. (enter key between pics are what's needed.) Sorry, was trying to help. :(

oops sry didnt realize that becuase he prob must have changed it before i came into the thread and some many have done that before one time three people reposted the same post after each other it was just completely stupid

Upvote 0