• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallout 3....

Quietus: STALKER wasn't done that way "For kids" it was done that way because a true non-linear game is HARD to make. They had to cut and cut and cut and they still were years late of their planned release date.
I don't buy that excuse. I think it can be done it's just that very few people have the vision/ determination/patience and or "motives" to see it through. Regardless if it was purely a "business decision" to make the game linear and scripted or because they REALLY couldn't do it I can't say for sure. But what REALLY gets me about some of these companies is that THEY are the ones in the business of making games and they can't even do that right. I thought that was their job not the consumers? Why is it nearly always left to the consumers/ adept modders to try and fix a games blunders and shortcomings? That'd be cool if everything in life operated like that *dentist* "hey here's the bill for me fixing your teeth except I did a really ****ty job and you'll have to complete the procedure once you get home". *Car mechanic* "yeah I attempted to install a new radiator except I couldn't quite manage it,...here's some tools for you to take home and finish it yourself"

Sorry if I sound mad but if you get PAID to do something artistic (or potentially artistic) such as making games you should do it the best you possibly can. It seems like many of these game Co's are just a bunch of slackers surfing the internet for Pron all day long and playing grab *** in the office only putting out what's neccessary to not get fired. I know there a alot of good CO's out there that put in alot of hard work & effort but still... many are just the "C" grade mentality. Just enough effort to "pass" and that's it.

EDIT: Let me also add: I don't care about graphics. I don't care about stunning visuals. I don't care about the latest cool rendering effects. I son't care about shiney **** (that shouldn't even shine) I don't care about drop dead gorgeous screenshots. I don't care about having to "one up" the other games co's in the graphics department each year. I DON'T CARE ABOUT GRAPHICS! I only care about graphics if there is ALSO EXCELLENT GAMEPLAY to accompany the graphics. You can have the most photorealistic looking game in the world but I still wouldn't care unless there was real gameplay to go with it. There's no point to a video game otherwise. You might as well just go outside and look at RL for the ultimate in graphics and you can do that for free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the game is going to encompass only a small part of DC and no desert, just where the hell is this Vault? Ever notice that throughout the entire Fallout series not one single Vault located in an inhabited city remained closed? That's because they're piss easy to break into.I wonder if the people making this game even know about the radioactive twisters in the Midwest?

Odd, when you reply the Enter key doesn't count as a new line, but it does on the edit menu.

Well the head honcho at bethseda in charge of this game played the original fallout 'for a couple of hours, and quite liked it' so thats as far as his knowledge goes, i can't hear anymore about F3 now, it's going to be atrocious.

Apparently the people in this vault have been underground for 200 years, in the middle of Washington DC, without anyone noticing... Since were not leaving DC i have to assume that Super Mutants, Ghouls, Deathclaws, Raiders and all the rest are simply living together in the same city somehow.

Think there'll be sex, drugs and children in the game either? I doubt it.

Also, no desert. *cough*

Upvote 0
All you people do is whine, I'll enjoy my Fallout either way.
Me personally I'm just very disappointed in most game CO's nowadays for many reasons. RO is the only worthwhile FPS I've really enjoyed in a long time. I might have to fire up some of my old games back before designers weren't hell bent on graphics & physics as the primary means of "carrying" their games. Back when games were meant to be "played" & required skill & thinking & mandatory use of good tactics as opposed to the act of gawking at the scenery equaling a "good game" nowadays.

Upvote 0
You don't even know what FO 3 will be like. Noone of you has played the game. You are basing your arguments on JUST ONE article.

Even one of the screens would be enough to quite accurately guess that FO3 isn't at all like Fallout.

I'm not gonna complain about the first person view (allthough the turn based combat was one of the key elements of FO IMHO, especially since I really like turn based strategy and tactic games).

But look for example at the pic of the Supermutant. They are transformed from supersoldiers using high-tec weapons like plasma-guns to orc-lookalikes who wield clubs...

Also, the statement that FO is "survival" like Resident Evil gives me a huge WTF. FO NEVER was a survival game, but a roleplaying game with lots of black humour.

The only thing that seems to be better than the so called RPG Oblivion is that there will be no level scaling...

On a sidenote: with a pessimistic attitude, you're less likely to be disappointed. And as I fell in for a bethesda hype once already, I am even more sceptical now.

Upvote 0
It's hardly one article, its articles and dozens upon dozens of developer interviews.
Yeah I've been investigating further and things don't look good at all. It seems bethesda have their "notion" of the game they want to make and little things like staying true to the franchise in as many aspects as possible (black humor, adult themes, setting, writing, etc) are seen as annoyances to bethesda. I guess the wisest way to judge something in the abscence of hard evidence or facts is to look at their track record. The chances of them drastically changing the way they make games I would guess is very low. Hey it's the way of the future, graphics trumphs everything. As long as the graphics are there just tack on some recycled homogenous NPCs & canned dialogs recited out loud over and over & near meaningless quests and have the AI stand around staring at a wall for 5 hours and walking up and down a street with no purpose and you have yourself a winner.

PLEASE, I'D LOVE TO BE PROVED WRONG ON THIS!

As I'd love a great post apocalyptic game with huge depth and treated with loving care and not merely an excercise in cash generation.

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me what's the deal with this Fallout thing? I've never played it. What's so special about it?

I like how that trailer looks, I like the post-apocalyptic mood. But appearantly it's RPG? Brrr, that genre gives me the shivers.

Depends what you think of when you think RPG. Todays RPG's are really just action games with some stats..RPG's really should be about allowing a player to play the game in as many ways as possible and to achieve a goal in a way they feel is appropriate for the character they created. Fallout was a decent game in that genre because you not only could choose where to go when you first started the game (like Oblivion), but you could also complete all the quests in a way that was realistic for the character you made (unlike Oblivion were really you are just taken by the hand and told what to do, do it, then are told the outcome..theres no player control of the outcome of the quests).

The end result with decent RPG's is that its immersive..deep storys, multiple ways to complete quests, lots of attention to detail in the surroundings etc. Oblivion and most modern "RPG;s" are completely unimmersive for me

As well as this it also had a decent tactical fighting system like in games such as UFO (XCOM) or Jagged Alliance...wasn't as complex as those but was good enough for an RPG.

I don't really think the big companies will come up with a game like this any time soon, so just stick to the oldies or wait for an indi developer to come up with sometimg decent.

Good RPG's IMO:

Fallout 1 + 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 (although they were quite heavy on the action than RPG)
Arcanum
ummm..can't think of any more right now
Edit: forgot Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fallout 1 + 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 (although they were quite heavy on the action than RPG)
Arcanum
ummm..can't think of any more right now
Edit: forgot Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
I'll add a few games to that list in case some people want to experience old but awesome role-playing goodness:

Icewind Dale 1 and 2 (slightly heavier on action than Baldur's Gate)
Neverwinter Nights (you are alone and the henchman management is underdeveloped so a lot of people were dissapointed, but its still a great rpg)
Morrowind
Deus Ex 1
Deus Ex 2 (I don't know why people hated it. In my opinion it was awesome and deep)
Arx Fatalis (underappreciated! Its awesome in my opinion, and there is so little "hand-holding" that you can kill characters you need later on. Behave like an idiot and you can't finish the game!)
Gothic 1 (you are kinda limited in terms of role-playing but the atmosphere and the unique setting more than make up for it)
Gothic 2 (falls back to a more conventional setting with dragons and stuff but its still almost as enjoyable to play as Gothic 1. The exansion pack is awesome too)

Upvote 0
Someone link me these developer interviews, as I really would like to read them :/

Oh well, even if it's a flop, I'm quite sure there will be a huge modding community for it.

Theres no way it will flop. It will have awesome graphics, made by the guys that made Oblivion (a very successful game) and has a name that gives it credibility as an RPG. It almost certainly won't be successful as an RPG though simply because Bethesda don't know how to make them (OK Morrowind was an OK RPG, but still there wasn't any freedom in how you completed quests BUT it didn't try to hand hold you in everything you did like Ob). As an Action game with some RPG elements though it will succeed. I will play it but I don't expect much so I won't be bothered if it sucks. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised..but I definitely won't be buying it until I've tried it.

Having to mod a game has never appealed to me..you pay the devs to make a decent game not the modders. Also I would much rather play with a game that is as its intended. Just look at OB now - people recommend like 20 odd mods just to make it playable. Mods often conflict with each other and aren't usually as high quality as something commercially released (bugs, unbalanced items etc.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Theres no way it will flop. It will have awesome graphics, made by the guys that made Oblivion (a very successful game) and has a name that gives it credibility as an RPG. It almost certainly won't be successful as an RPG though simply because Bethesda don't know how to make them (OK Morrowind was an OK RPG, but still there wasn't any freedom in how you completed quests BUT it didn't try to hand hold you in everything you did like Ob). As an Action game with some RPG elements though it will succeed. I will play it but I don't expect much so I won't be bothered if it sucks. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised..but I definitely won't be buying it until I've tried it.

Having to mod a game has never appealed to me..you pay the devs to make a decent game not the modders. Also I would much rather play with a game that is as its intended. Just look at OB now - people recommend like 20 odd mods just to make it playable. Mods often conflict with each other and aren't usually as high quality as something commercially released (bugs, unbalanced items etc.)

If they make the game you just described it deserves to flop.

All this talk about Fallout has made me nostalgic. I played Fallout 1 & 2 back in the 90's. I've lost or given away my discs, so I just bought a new version on ebay for $15. My wife will be pissed.

Upvote 0

There's a difference between being a financial and critical flop and being a flop among the community. He's talking about it being a flop among the community. If it wasn't Fallout, this would be a pretty damn good game, but it is Fallout, so its a disappointment.

Upvote 0
I will play it but I don't expect much so I won't be bothered if it sucks. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised..but I definitely won't be buying it until I've tried it.
Yeah STALKER was pretty much my last chance given to a current game maker to produce a mindblowing apocalyptic FPS and they let me down big time. I will try the demo of Fallout 3 but my expectations aren't great. I'm not going to be buying reheated slop made from core ingredients of bethesdas previous games as I don't like bethesdas previous games. Morrowind was OK with the only thing I liked about it was the free roaming+dynamic night/day cycle and of course the excellent graphics/level design. But the quests & characters and general interactions were very bad & unintriguing
"oh ok I'll go get you 4 pearls and bring them back for you to collect my reward that I already have 4 of in my inventory,..oh wait you know what? Here, I already have a backpack full of pearls I've been collecting since there's not much else interesting to do anyway, here you go" *sigh*
It will have to be COMPLETELY different in almost every way otherwise it's just the same ol stuff reheated and I've already had a belly full of their old recipes.

melipone said:
..you pay the devs to make a decent game not the modders.
It's amazing how many people overlook that saying "you can just mod it" that's missing the point IMO.

Upvote 0
Murphy said:
Deus Ex 2 (I don't know why people hated it. In my opinion it was awesome and deep)
Eeek! Get that abomination off the list! :eek:
As a console shooter with stats, it's great, but as the successor to arguably the best PC game ever made, it fails on so many levels. Tiny levels, no skill system, generic inventory system, multitools'll do everything and the illusion of choices that don't actually matter. It really doesn't count as an RPG. If Deus Ex 3 is anything like it, I'll be passing in a big way.

Anyway, on topic. You never know with Fallout 3. They may do ok. Certainly they've learned what people hated about Oblivion. I think you're still in for disappointment though. They got overwhelming positive feedback about the things that you Fallout fans hate the most, so chances are that they'll take that as sign of what to do.

Oh yeah, since we're at it, <shameless pessimism>guaranteed they're making it primarily for console and will therefore be simply porting the dumbed down mess over to PC for you lot.</shameless pessimism> BL there fellers. :D

Upvote 0
2ltben, radioactive twisters? I haven't heard about such things. Where were they mentioned in Fallout 2?
I've played it for god knows how many times through and I haven't noticed.
You speak to a man who encountered one of them firsthand, and barely survived.

If things get much worse I'm just not going to worry about it. This isn't the first time Fallout was butchered, and that alone is why Interplay failed as a company. Hell, Brotherhood of Steel failed so badly that the lead designer was fired. I'm just not going to play this game, and enjoy the first two Fallout games and Van Buren's tech demo.

Upvote 0
Anyway, on topic. You never know with Fallout 3. They may do ok. Certainly they've learned what people hated about Oblivion. I think you're still in for disappointment though. They got overwhelming positive feedback about the things that you Fallout fans hate the most, so chances are that they'll take that as sign of what to do.

Oh yeah, since we're at it, <shameless pessimism>guaranteed they're making it primarily for console and will therefore be simply porting the dumbed down mess over to PC for you lot.</shameless pessimism> BL there fellers. :D
Well there are so many red flags that I've come across through my scouring of forums (just in the short time I've been investigating) that I can pretty much conclude what the outcome will be. I admit I only ever played the demo of Fallout (1) so I really had no expectations on #3, however when I read accounts of what made fallout special (catering to ADULTS with shocking and no holds barred themes & gameplay and not being afraid of being politically incorrect and all that gutless BS that people exist in nowadays it really makes my blood boil about how things are looking with #3.

Like I said earlier, I want a game FOR ADULTS! Kiddies have enough stupid mindless, pretty looking shoot em ups ran through a sanitation filter to protect them from "scary subject matter" when will the adults finally get a game for them again?? Man I miss the days when devs had balls and made whatever the hell they wanted to make. Welcome to the new era of souless money making corporations that just happen to peddle video games as the source of their income. For most of these game co's there is no more true passion or artistic vision, only bean counters scheming on what kind of a game they should make to net the most cash. Sickening...

This is all my opinion of course.:mad:

Upvote 0