• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How many 64 player servers are there?

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
Hey I'm strongly considering buying this game (got a guest pass from somebody but it appears to not work unfortunately :confused:) anyways... I was wondering about two things, how many 64 player servers are there (I'm in the South-Eastern US), and how many players are online overall? Just making sure the game isn't dead or dying before I dish out $20. Also how big are the maps, compared to say BF2142's city maps (Berlin, Gibraltar, Cerebre, etc...) if anyone plays that?

I'm looking to switch to something more realistic... BF2142's sorta gotten boring of late.

I was wondering about two things, how many 64 player servers are there (I'm in the South-Eastern US),
Zero. RO just supports up to 50 players. But, believe me: It is enough. Sometimes even to much.

and how many players are online overall?
I do not know any numbers, but you have normally about ten-twenty full servers(mostly 32 players) and two or three dozens of not full servers. So: More than enough. This game is far away from being dead.

Also how big are the maps, compared to say BF2142's city maps (Berlin, Gibraltar, Cerebre, etc...) if anyone plays that?
I never played BF, so I can not directly compare it. But what I can say is, that the RO maps are featuring medium-small up to much to big maps(especcially Orel). Most maps are relativly big when compared to more usual shooters.

Upvote 0
Hey I'm strongly considering buying this game (got a guest pass from somebody but it appears to not work unfortunately :confused:) anyways... I was wondering about two things, how many 64 player servers are there (I'm in the South-Eastern US), and how many players are online overall? Just making sure the game isn't dead or dying before I dish out $20. Also how big are the maps, compared to say BF2142's city maps (Berlin, Gibraltar, Cerebre, etc...) if anyone plays that?

I'm looking to switch to something more realistic... BF2142's sorta gotten boring of late.

There are about 5 or 6 50 player servers i think, a couple of 44 player servers, some 40 player servers and the rest is 32 or lower.

Depending on the time, i usually see inbetween 30 to 50 servers with people playing out of the 250 servers that are available.

Never short of finding a server full of people on the map i feel like. Most infantry maps are medium sized, some small (like dod/cs). The combined arms maps range from medium to large, tank maps from medium to large.

The infantry maps are smaller then the BF maps, since the teams spawn closer to eachother. The maps have a system where the spawns move along the battlefield according to what is captured or not.

Upvote 0
There are 10+ 50 player servers out there. There are usually 1500-2000 poeple playing RO at any one time, tens of thousands of poeple playing every month. Its right now the 14th most popular multiplayer PC game in the world (outside of MMOs). So you have no worries about getting a dieing game. Two of the 50 player servers are based out of Atlanta, and they are almost always full, so you should have no problem finding a low ping populated 50 player server in your area.

Upvote 0
There are 10+ 50 player servers out there. There are usually 1500-2000 poeple playing RO at any one time, tens of thousands of poeple playing every month. Its right now the 14th most popular multiplayer PC game in the world (outside of MMOs). So you have no worries about getting a dieing game. Two of the 50 player servers are based out of Atlanta, and they are almost always full, so you should have no problem finding a low ping populated 50 player server in your area.

In that case, there are 4 50 man servers on the Atlanta backbone.....

Upvote 0
It's great having a ping of 50, and 40+ players nearly all hours of the day to play with. Whether it is 2 or 20 servers and whether it is Atlanta or Atlantic City, I'm just thrilled to have a place to hang out with the AHz guys and have a good time. The admin rights to such a box is just icing on the cake, not to mention running up my or Dreck's map whenever we want. ;)

Upvote 0
Noxnoctum,
As a former BF player I can tell you that the size of RO maps varies alot. Some are small, others are huge etc but keep in mind that the pace at which you cross these maps is completely different between BF and RO.
If you only look at infantry, RO's maps are smaller, but it will still take you 5 to 10 minutes to run across most of the maps I enjoy to play.

Upvote 0
I'm sure most multi-core processors could do it, only the software hasn't been optimized? Or not?

Wouldn't it be more of a network problem, having too much channels for the engine to handle?

Sorry to say but almost all of the present 50 player are running the most advanced Multi-core chips you can currently purchase simply because no other CPU's can actually handle 50 players on all maps and although testing has proven that 64 player is possible the reality is these beasts still do not have the sheer horse power to run RO comfortably with 64 players.

Network traffic is not an issue as many games can already run 64 player such BF2 and Cod2 etc. and the UT2.5 engine could do likewise.

It is just hardware that is the limiting factor at the moment.

Upvote 0
Just to reiterate the size of the maps. Some very large tank maps are a couple of kilometers.

Orel was mentioned, where it'll sometimes take you 5 minutes of DRIVING to get to some action. Really makes you want to NOT die.

Since there isn't any user flyable vehicles, like BF2, I think the sizes are fine.

TW put in new code to allow even bigger maps to be produced - several km of viewing distance.

Upvote 0
I'm sure most multi-core processors could do it, only the software hasn't been optimized? Or not?

Wouldn't it be more of a network problem, having too much channels for the engine to handle?

The unreal engine doesnt support multithreading ;o. Aka on an octacore processor you can run 8 ro servers but not 1 big strong 200 player ro server.

Upvote 0