• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Coaxial range setting?

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
As you know, tank sights in RO contain range settings for the coaxial MG. However, when you change your range with the lean-buttons, the range of the coax does not change with it (with exeption of tanks with 'fixed' sights ofcourse, like the T34-76)

Sooo, is it a bug, or am I missing something?

Most of the tanks have their MGs fixed to the "faceplate" of the gun (dunno how to explain it in english) and as the change of range is nothing else then a change of angles it should have some effect on the MG aswell. Though there might be the question wether the MG have the same ballistics as the main gun or not...

Yes. I know some tanks (Centurion might be one, I'm not sure) did have a coaxial MG that had similar ballistic properties as the main gun so that MG could be used to adjust the elevation before firing the gun. But that's probably not the case with the tanks in RO, I don't think 7.62mm or 7.92mm might ever have similar ballistics at any range as 75, 88 or 122mm.

Upvote 0
Um, but that's the whole point of having the ranges on the coax gunsights themselves. Theoretically you should be able to set your range at X00m for the main gun while simultaneously being at Y00m for the coax MG, and while the two wouldn't be identical, the coax would still have different range.

Upvote 0
Yes. I know some tanks (Centurion might be one, I'm not sure) did have a coaxial MG that had similar ballistic properties as the main gun so that MG could be used to adjust the elevation before firing the gun. But that's probably not the case with the tanks in RO, I don't think 7.62mm or 7.92mm might ever have similar ballistics at any range as 75, 88 or 122mm.

The Centurion was the first tank with this system. It was actually quite revolutionary and simplified targeting substansially and made it a much more efficient tank than what its other stats indicated.

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I'm slowly starting to think, that the whole RO idea of "gun linked" gunsights is a bull**** in WW2 game. Because if the gunsight was to move the main gun, then the range setting in gunsight would have to be changed by a big "knob" or wheel, because the force that moves the gun up or down have to come from somwhere... From what I read about the Tiger/Panther gunsights up to now, seems for me that they worked in usual way, moving the aim marks up and down when the range setting was changed, and then the gunner elevated the gun to place aim mark on target, Just like it is now in game for T-34/76 and KV-1. I'd like to be wrong here, and TW right, because then I won't have to completly remodel the tank sights :-/
Anyone could direct me to source that states that in WW2 there were in use tank gunsights adjusting automaticly the main gun elevation when the sight range setting was changed ?? Again, I'd LOVE to be wrong here and will accept such source and the fact that such gunsights existed in WW2 with great relief...
Much as I hate to admit it, there are errors lurking in the gunsight system, due to a source that turned out to have a couple of bull**** comments in it, that were misleading. To be corrected when we have the time...
I think Wilsonam's calling into question the idea of linked gun sights in WWII period tanks.
If linked gun sights did not exist / weren't used, then your question is moot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The question remains: should range adjustment in a tank affect both the main cannon and the coax mg? How was it in real life?

I believe in real life, you have markings on one side of the sight for HE and/or AP rounds, and another set on the other side for the MG.

If the gunsights were linked to elevation, then you dialed in the range and BOTH the main gun and coax MG would've elevated appropriately.

If the gunsights weren't linked, then you dialed in the range, and manually elevated the sight to where you wanted for both the MG and the main gun.

The key difference is that the range you dial in for the main gun is different from the range you dial in for the MG, even at the same "click". So the setting for 500m on the main gun might be the setting for only 200m for the MG.

So, yes, the range should be affecting the MG, but the main gun's range does not equal the MG's range.

Upvote 0

My old man drove those. They were boresighted with the HEAT rounds (or was it APFSDS?). Plink, BLAM! 105'mm Canadian Centurions, don't ask me the variant.

OT :A tomato can with a blank behind it (or toilet paper to scare the heck out of the newbs, big flame:D) had almost the same properties too (not the flaming toilet paper silly).

You are correct sir.

Although I think I heard him mention that it was the Germans (WWII)who really started that as doctrine. I'd have to check with him. Heck, makes plenty of sense though.

Upvote 0