• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Constant Lag Spikes

Here's what you can do, to determine whether the problem is on yours, or on RO's end:

- backup all your *.ini files (...:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System)
- delete that System-folder entirely
- verify game cache through Steam
- put your backup-ini files back (let them overwrite)

I had that same issue a couple of times, and this fixed it.

Upvote 0
Could somebody please help. It did start since I got this new Belkin N router and wireless network thing. I had Belkin before, but that was only G and it was fine, I would've thought that the N would be flawless, but it seems to be causing this problem. Anybody know what I could do?
It obviously is your wireless setup not RO. Try to switch to a different channel.

Upvote 0
It obviously is your wireless setup not RO. Try to switch to a different channel.

Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean.. I'm connected to the main hub in the study, that's only a few meters from my wireless hub thing, also the connection is totally fine in other games.

I'm having doubts that it's the connection too, it seems just my character lags and jumps about all over the place, my ping doesn't go up and as far as I can see nobody else is jumping around all over the place.

Hmm...? :confused:

Upvote 0
RO doesn't like having it's bandwith cut at all. If you can try plugging your comp in with a Cat 5 cable and if the problem goes away, the problem is on your wirless routers end.

Make sure you have the most up to date firmware for your router. You may also want to contact them about the problem. They may have a solution.

Upvote 0
Might be the router itself slowing down traffic that RO needs.

To determine if it is this you can try bypassing the router for a minute and plug the computer right into the modem and do a quick check. If that clears it up then the router is our culprit. If that doesn't then it might be the ISP or some hardware.

Upvote 0
Could somebody please help. It did start since I got this new Belkin N router and wireless network thing. I had Belkin before, but that was only G and it was fine, I would've thought that the N would be flawless, but it seems to be causing this problem. Anybody know what I could do?

I actually would blame the fact this is a N router. That protocol is kind of flaky from what I have seen and had some major issues with some wireless NICs. You should be able to go into the routers config page and set it to only use G bands.

Secondly, see if you have any driver updates for the wireless card that is in your computer for better compatibility.

And lastly, go to Best Buy, Circuit City, or a local computer shop and buy a 25ft Cat5 network cable. Use that instead of the wireless (in fact make sure you disable the wireless on you computer) and see if it improves.

And as an aside, I've always gone with Link Sys routers.... Because I've heard bad things about Belkin.

That and the NIC card in the computer I'm using is link sys too and I have no problems with any lag.

Upvote 0
I have haerd of this on another game. Is any one else on your network using a messenger service i.e. video messaging, or up/downloading?

My friend was getting real bad lag issues whilst playing games after 1900hrs it turned out to be his daughter talking to her friends on a IM One on video and about twenty text messengers!!! lets just say he has squeezed her band width down to a minimum now.

Upvote 0
I have haerd of this on another game. Is any one else on your network using a messenger service i.e. video messaging, or up/downloading?

My friend was getting real bad lag issues whilst playing games after 1900hrs it turned out to be his daughter talking to her friends on a IM One on video and about twenty text messengers!!! lets just say he has squeezed her band width down to a minimum now.

Nope most of the time I'm the only one on the network.

It is only on this game aswell, as I've said before so if it was something like that I'd have it on everything.

It's really strange as I've said, I'm the only thing lagging, I'm jumping around, like teleporting a meter to the front every second or so for about 5 seconds, every minute. It's hard to explain, but I'm the only one lagging too, like I can watch somebody else and they're totally smooth whilst I'm having this strange lag thing.

I might try re-installing the game.

Edit: Nope re-installing didn't work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does this happen in practice as well?

If so the culprit might be the CPU.

You never responded if you tried bypassing the router and pluging Comp into modem for test.

I'll just try on a practice match now, as for the bypass thing, I'll have to do that now.

Edit: It's fixed! Why didn't I try bypassing first? Oh well, I'm back in action.

Good to be back.

Oh and thanks for the help :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0