• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why so many more automatics in game?

wokelly

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2006
I mean maps now have 38% more players, but the number of semi's and MGs and SMGs have doubled. I mean Stalingrad Kessel and the russians have 8 freaking SMGs, and 2 MGs, 4 semi's and 2 combat engineers armed with smgs and a squad leader with a smg. For a total of 11 Smgs, 2 LMGs, and 4 Semis. Taking away the sniper you have 6 people with regular bolt actions, but the number of SMGs should never be at 10-11. When you take in the fact the Germans have 8 SMGs and one mission leader, you are looking at 18-20 SMGs each map, that is 2 in 5 people armed with a smg.

Now I have no idea about other maps, but I really hope the number of SMGs are not this high as in this map because it simply is awful playing it with a bolt action.

Last edited:
Russians had whole battalions armed with smgs.
Thats not the point. He's talking about a change of gameplay not the realworld reality of WW2 (which is not what this game is anyway). I also think the Addition of another Sniper on most maps is unnecessary - 1 is enough..its not like anyone will have a 64 player server anyway - 50 is the absolute max atm.

Upvote 0
Russians had whole battalions armed with smgs.

Yeah, but they were motorized and rode tanks into battle. There are no maps that depict this except maybe that trench map where every russian has a SMG. Even then they were Purely SMG with maybe a LMG in support, unlike all but one of the maps in game that have SMGs, Semi's, LMGs and bolts.

One of the reasons I fell in love with this game was the fact the rifle (whether bolt or semi, mainly bolt) was the main weapon, because in WWII its what most people were armed with. It use to be SMGs were rare, like maybe 2 or 3 people armed per side with it. Now it seems tripwire has doubled the number of weapons (2 freaking snipers per side?) and I now am seeing some maps with 8-10 people with SMGs, and only 6 people with bolt actions one one side alone, God knows how many overall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I loved RO because it was mainly rifle. I couldnt give a rats arse about the sniper rifle, though its fun at times, but i despise, absolutely hate smg's.
Each time i start up RO now there seems to be more players all having smg's, and really NONE of them actually use the ironsights. They all run around like John Rambo's spraying wildly and even worse, most of them have gotten good at it and 'pwn' you! To me, that is the one and only thing that breaks the immersion EVERY time to me. Really, EVERY time.
I really really really hate hipshooting. Not only because i am a rifleman by default, i just love the bolts, and you dont stand a chance against those whores. The remark that some people give, 'then learn to hipshoot too, problem solved', is IMO very useless and its something that i dont train myself at out of principle!
Just thinking about it annoys me to hell and back even as i type this so this will be all i type for now because im getting all worked up about it, the stress from all the other obligations doesnt help either :(

Upvote 0
At most tripwire should have added 1 or 2 more weapons to each class to balance out the increase in players. But literally they have doubled the number of spots per class. For example staingrad Kessel on 32 players has 4 spots for SMGs. On the 50 person servers I see it at 8. Sniper on 32 servers were 1, on 50 servers is 2. And I see similar things for other maps, the numbers from the 32 player servers have doubled while the number of players have only gone up by a bit over 1/3.

Its not bad on all maps, some originally had 2 smgs, so a total of 4 smgs on one side is not bad. But when really I think anything over 12 SMGs in total on a 50 person server is pushing it, let one maps where there are 10 SMGs per side making it 20 SMGs in total.

Semi's, especially with the german G41 are too high like already mentioned. Though 4 semis for the russians and a few for the Germans is hardly as big a killer so many players with smgs in my opinion. As stated above its not so much the number of SMGs but the fact most of those people are running and firing from the hip. When the map was mostly bolt actions it was not that common for players to do that (well for players in general regardless of what they were armed with, not guys with SMGs).

I dont get why those extra 18 people per server warrant so many more SMGs and other weapons. What would of been the harm off keeping the numbers of SMGs, LMGs and Semi's the same and letting them all have bolt actions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
4 Semiautorifle's is a bit too much for a weapon that was hardly used in WW2.
The only thing that should've been upgraded are the teamleaders (1->2) and the MG's (1/2->2/4).

There was around 400000 StG 44's made...Not to mention the massive amounts of SVT's. G43 was much rarer. G42 even rarer. Heck, germans should get captured SVT's and PPSH's as assault/semi-auto's choices if you want a historical force mix. But that is getting a little complex I think.

Upvote 0
I too will say that one of the reasons I fell in love with RO was the bolt action rifles. I will still choose it most of the time no matter what other weapons may be available. Of course, I prefer the larger maps where it will be more useful.

Haven't yet run into problems worth mentioning where there were too many SMG'ers in the map and I couldn't at least, sorta, hold my own with the rifle.

Upvote 0
There was around 400000 StG 44's made...Not to mention the massive amounts of SVT's. G43 was much rarer. G42 even rarer. Heck, germans should get captured SVT's and PPSH's as assault/semi-auto's choices if you want a historical force mix. But that is getting a little complex I think.

Over 1.5 million SVTs were made according to wiki. More PPSH's were made for that, though both pale to the number of Mosin's made.

I too will say that one of the reasons I fell in love with RO was the bolt action rifles. I will still choose it most of the time no matter what other weapons may be available. Of course, I prefer the larger maps where it will be more useful.

Haven't yet run into problems worth mentioning where there were too many SMG'ers in the map and I couldn't at least, sorta, hold my own with the rifle.

Yeah but not all of us is as good as you may be with a rifle. For the average rifleman like myself and others who are okay with rifles, its very hard to fight close quarters when there are such an abundance of SMGs.

Not its not all maps that have this problem. For example Odessa has a much more sane (though still a bit too high) 4-5 SMGs per side and 2 semi's per side, but some other maps its insane.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As I said, this is for the Germans, the Russians should have as much semi's/auto's as possible. And yes, the Germans should have more often the PPSH as a choise instead of the MP41 (which was rare too).
Each German gruppe (10 man) had as followed: 1 MP (for the leader), 1 MK (for the assistant leader), 1 MG (2 for panzergrenadiers) and the rest K98's. This was how it was on paper, there must been some more MP's and such, but not so much MK's.
It isn't hard to give the Germans Russian weapons (PPSH or even the AT rifle), it is done before.
It is also weird that the PPD is the first choise for the Russians, there weren't that much. Make the PPSH as the weapon above.

btw, it is much more fun to kill with a rifle than with a SMG, also you've to alter you're tactics, you've to defend the MG's (and give them ammo!) instead of assault.

Upvote 0
I loved RO because it was mainly rifle. I couldnt give a rats arse about the sniper rifle, though its fun at times, but i despise, absolutely hate smg's. Each time i start up RO now there seems to be more players all having smg's, and really NONE of them actually use the ironsights. They all run around like John Rambo's spraying wildly and even worse, most of them have gotten good at it and 'pwn' you! To me, that is the one and only thing that breaks the immersion EVERY time to me. Really, EVERY time. I really really really hate hipshooting. Not only because i am a rifleman by default, i just love the bolts, and you dont stand a chance against those whores. The remark that some people give, 'then learn to hipshoot too, problem solved', is IMO very useless and its something that i dont train myself at out of principle! Just thinking about it annoys me to hell and back even as i type this so this will be all i type for now because im getting all worked up about it, the stress from all the other obligations doesnt help either
You're a wuss! I use a bolt all the time and kill run & gunners constantly. Refusing to learn to hipshoot with a rifle is probably what gives you so much trouble. No soldier would take the time to look down the sights at an enemy up close. There's nothing "immersion"-breaking about it. Oh, and the bayo helps too >:3

Upvote 0
I see no problem with more smg's. You just let the smg's on your side take care of the smg's on there side when up close. Rifle men should be woried about laying down fire from a distance anyway. If it is a map with a lot of close fighting, then you want to get a smg off a dead guy anyway. Two snipers is a bit much though, imo.

Also, imo, if i was running into a trench, irl, and there were enemies, i wouldn't be using my iron sights to shoot them up close. I would be fireing from my shoulder but i would just be pointing my weapon, up close is rather a bad idea to use your iron sights since you really don't need to aim. If you ever go shooting, some ranges have combat fireing drills you can do, try it out, you will see that you don't need to actually aim but rather just point when up close.

Upvote 0