• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Downside to attaching bayonet?

Alkhali

May 16, 2007
I've wondered, but havn't thought how I might test conclusively, whether attaching a bayonet to a rifle negatively affects shooting the thing or apart from letting you stab people rather then smack them in the head is merely cosmetic? It seems that having a point bit of metal attached to the end of your already rather long gun might make it a bit more unwieldy, but I havn't noticed anything like this. Still, thought I would ask incase it was modelled as a concession to realism. Plus going on a behind the lines bayonet rampage looking for snipers and machine guns when one is lucky enough to slip through unnoticed is too much fun to come without a price elsewhere surely?

If your on the wall in kaukasus pixel sniping germans, dont attach bayo. (You get shot or naded if you die). So attach your bayo i you do anything else....
My 2 cents

bloodypotato is right about the sway, but it doesnt matter. The diff is so small that you prolly wont feel it. (you might if youre hunting pixels at more than 200 mtr(leave that for the sniper)).

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone KNOWS any of these things for sure. The devs are the only ones who do!

But at the ranges you usualy fight attach it.

Wow I DEFINITELY notice a difference when I have a bayonet attached. Its already been explained in the thread--your rifle tends to sway more. To me its very apparent and it often makes it difficult for me to hit someone. You guys must be uber shooters.

Upvote 0
Wow I DEFINITELY notice a difference when I have a bayonet attached. Its already been explained in the thread--your rifle tends to sway more. To me its very apparent and it often makes it difficult for me to hit someone. You guys must be uber shooters.

Tomcat is high skilled with bolts, Im not.

If you crouch and then bring up IS, it takes a sec or two before the gun starts to sway. Thats enough time to make precise shot. If Im waiting for targets Im either prone or resting the rifle...:rolleyes:

I hunt pixels in Kaukasus without bayo. Except for that bayo is always on.

Upvote 0
isnt the guns accuracy affected when the bayo is attached? dont things touching the barrel affect accuracy?
the german bayo doesnt touch the barrel, though (as someone said in some thread some time ago), so it shouldnt affect the accuracy. the russians guns had teh bayo attached right at the barrl, so the accuracy should be affected. IRL the russian guns were sighted in with bayo attached, so the accuracy should be better when your bayo is on. but i dont know if/how/which way round it is modeled in game...

Upvote 0
just leave the bayonet on, or attach whenever you can i should say. you shouldnt worry about the "sway" it adds, since you shouldnt be sitting in the ironsights long enough for it to sway in the first place. just aim as you lean into position and quickly aquire your target. when it sways, lower your gun and get back in aim to fix that.

the attached bayonet will prove useful when you run into an enemy, and miss your surprise hipshot. charge up your stab for a half second and it will kill center mass. two stabs if you dont charge up.

so be sure to attach whenever you can.

Upvote 0
Never leave spawn without your bayo!

Personally, when I play Russian rifleman, I just choose the rifle with the fixed bayo to save the time of putting it on each time.

Still... You would think there would be some disadvantage of having the thing on like getting it stuck in the walls in close quarter turns or worse inaccuracy.

If there aren't any disadvantages why not just have the default to have bayo on?

Upvote 0